"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Food and Kitchen Safety

Old 11-12-2010, 10:50 AM   #41
Head Chef

If they must be cleaned I rinse them. Alton Brown did a show in which he put mushrooms in water for various lengths of time and then weighed them to see how much water was in them. If I remember right he concluded that a short rinse does not add significant water to the mushrooms.

Old 11-12-2010, 11:19 AM   #42
Senior Cook

If I buy them already sliced, I don't wash. But if I buy them whole, I rinse in cold running water, shake off excess and proceed with recipe. I NEVER eat raw mushrooms ... it has nothing to do with nutrition ... I just like them cooked. Actually, except for a few veggies in a crudite platter, I don't eat them raw.

Old 11-12-2010, 12:15 PM   #43
Master Chef

What about when using mushrooms of the bolete variety? They have a porous, spongy texture, rather than gills. Then there are the "shelf" mushroom varieties, such as the yellow sulfur mushroom, not to mention the puff ball category. I would almost think that the porous mushrooms might absorb water due to cappilary action. But I don't really know.

Just some food for thought.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 12:59 PM   #44
Assistant Cook

I took a class from a French chef once and he taught us to always peel mushrooms. Then he showed us how to turn them. I don't bother with the turning but I do like to peel them, sounds fussy but it doesn't take long and it's kind of a patient and quiet thing to do -- unlike most kitchen activities. Then I wash the peels in a colander and simmer them in broth. Amazing flavour. The peeled mushrooms can be left out for hours without getting icky. Of course this only works with button mushrooms, wild ones don't peel easily. I did see the AB episode but really like peeling them instead.
Old 11-12-2010, 02:12 PM   #45
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giselle View Post
I took a class from a French chef once and he taught us to always peel mushrooms. Then he showed us how to turn them. I don't bother with the turning but I do like to peel them, sounds fussy but it doesn't take long and it's kind of a patient and quiet thing to do -- unlike most kitchen activities. Then I wash the peels in a colander and simmer them in broth. Amazing flavour. The peeled mushrooms can be left out for hours without getting icky. Of course this only works with button mushrooms, wild ones don't peel easily. I did see the AB episode but really like peeling them instead.
That's interesting... I wondered if it was OK to do that. I'm always up for more scraps to put in my broth/stock. Thanks for the tip!
Old 11-12-2010, 02:25 PM   #46
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by snickerdoodle View Post
That's interesting... I wondered if it was OK to do that. I'm always up for more scraps to put in my broth/stock. Thanks for the tip!
You could also use those bits in duxelles Duxelles - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 11-12-2010, 02:29 PM   #47
Head Chef

Damp paper towel
Old 11-12-2010, 02:35 PM   #48
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
I nevernevernever wash mushrooms. they are 90% water to begin with and more water just makes matters worse. I wipe them with damp paper towel, and when necessary, brush with a soft brush to get any detritus out of the cracks..
Old 11-12-2010, 03:39 PM   #49
Executive Chef

I'm with ChefJune. I never wash. Just knock off any dirt and I'm good to go. They grow in Horsecrap anyway, so washing them isn't going to do much good.
Old 11-12-2010, 03:46 PM   #50
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
You could also use those bits in duxelles Duxelles - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Good to know... thanks!