"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Food and Kitchen Safety

Old 11-12-2010, 04:12 PM   #51
Assistant Cook

Wow, just getting ready to run to the store to pick up some sour cream for a Stroganoff and here's this thread.

Generally I've always rinsed and peeled, but I might try the "damp towel" method instead this time around.

And raw, cooked, chopped, sliced, whole, canned, fresh I love 'em all!

Old 11-12-2010, 04:38 PM   #52
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by puptentacle View Post
...Generally I've always rinsed and peeled...

Peeled?!

Old 11-12-2010, 11:55 PM   #53
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Peeled?!
Beulah,peel me a grape.
Old 11-13-2010, 12:13 AM   #54
Assistant Cook

"Peeled" as in removing the "skin" on the cap of the mushroom. When you run them under cold water and brush a thumb against the cap, a sort of skin comes off. That's what I mean.
Old 11-13-2010, 12:22 AM   #55
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
"Peeled" as in removing the "skin" on the cap of the mushroom. When you run them under cold water and brush a thumb against the cap, a sort of skin comes off. That's what I mean.
Never, ever heard of that. I must be reading the wrong cookbooks. Not for me, I don't even peel carrots or potatoes anymore.
Old 11-13-2010, 01:19 AM   #56
Assistant Cook

I don't know if anyone else does that or not, but I always have until tonight. Did the damp towel trick and it worked fine. I'll be doing that from now on. Much easier.
Old 11-15-2010, 05:10 PM   #57
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
I don't know if anyone else does that or not, but I always have until tonight. Did the damp towel trick and it worked fine. I'll be doing that from now on. Much easier.
I've never heard about peeling mushrooms. That's why I asked. I know what you mean about a thin layer coming off the surface when you wipe a mushroom but I never considered it an inedible portion of the mushroom. I just clean off any dirt and then slice, dice etc.
Old 11-15-2010, 05:49 PM   #58
Assistant Cook

Put the tip of a small knife just under the mushroom cap by the stem and pull the thin layer covering the cap off. You will have to remove it a section at a time but it comes off easily.

The washed peels are good cooked in broth but wouldn't be very good for duxelles, too flimsy. The chopped stems would work though.
Old 11-15-2010, 05:52 PM   #59
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giselle View Post
Put the tip of a small knife just under the mushroom cap by the stem and pull the thin layer covering the cap off. You will have to remove it a section at a time but it comes off easily.

The washed peels are good cooked in broth but wouldn't be very good for duxelles, too flimsy. The chopped stems would work though.

Do you find that peeling the caps makes a difference in the finished dish?
Old 11-15-2010, 07:20 PM   #60
Assistant Cook

I like to cook mushrooms on high heat as quickly as possible so they get some colour and don't just steam. This is only possible with very dry mushrooms. The flavour is probably the same as wiped or brushed mushrooms though.

I rub the peels between my hands to get all the dirt off, much rougher than you could do if the mushroom was still attached. Really does make a lovely stock if you are having a sauce with the mushrooms.