Cleaning mushrooms poll

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kayelle

Chef Extraordinaire
With all the talk of mushrooms lately, I'm wondering how all of you clean the lill darlins?

1. I wipe them with a damp paper towel
2. I use my little mushroom brush made for this purpose
3. I give them a quick rinse under the faucet
4. I don't care what I've heard, they need to be washed well in a bowl
5. Other

I wipe mine with a damp cloth.

I have read that it is okay to wash them in a bowl, if the caps haven't opened.

5. Other. Making those Mushroom Gratins this past week, I used a small dry washcloth to brush them. It worked really well because of the terry cloth, and I didn't need to add moisture.

5. Other. Making those Mushroom Gratins this past week, I used a small dry washcloth to brush them. It worked really well because of the terry cloth, and I didn't need to add moisture.

*ding* *ding* *ding*........I really like that "other" Z !! I use my little mushroom brush, but I like that idea better.

I wash mine under running water right before use. I have always done it this way and have never had a problem. Mushrooms are not as delicate as a lot of people think they are.

I loved the episode of Good Eats when Alton Brown proved that mushrooms don't quickly soak up a lot of liquid, as many people think. He started with a few batches of mushrooms, equal in weight. He brushed some, soaked some, and quickly washed some. I can't remember if there were any other cleaning methods used--I saw it a couple years ago. I can't remember the exact amounts, but if there was any weight difference, it was negligible.

:)Barbara

After watching Alton's experiment testing how much water mushrooms actually soak up if fully immersed in a bowl of water for 5 minutes (essentially NONE!), I wash mine under cold water from the faucet in a colander using a soft vegetable brush. I then pat them dry using a paper towel. (The difference, by weight, of pre-washed vs post-washed is about 1/2 teaspoon of water for 8 ounces of mushrooms.) I can live with that.

*Barbara L. and I were writing the same things at the same time! :LOL:

Last edited:
If they're not too dirty, I just wipe them with a terrycloth cloth. If they are very dirty I wash the under running water and pat dry.

I wash mine under running water right before use. I have always done it this way and have never had a problem. Mushrooms are not as delicate as a lot of people think they are.

I loved the episode of Good Eats when Alton Brown proved that mushrooms don't quickly soak up a lot of liquid, as many people think. He started with a few batches of mushrooms, equal in weight. He brushed some, soaked some, and quickly washed some. I can't remember if there were any other cleaning methods used--I saw it a couple years ago. I can't remember the exact amounts, but if there was any weight difference, it was negligible.

This is what i do! Good episode.

I second that

Jaques Pepin (my favorite tv chef) also says you can wash mushrooms but stresses to wash them just before using.

I have alot of respect for him too.Have you read his biography?Great read!

He has more credentials than just about anyone and still found time and respect for Julia Child.I have his video series on techniques and it is good.His book and series with Julia is one of my faves.A real class act there and a greast artist to boot!

t really depends on how I'm using them. Sauteed? I want them very dry so I just brush them. Going in a stew? rinse them. Raw in a salad? damp towel. DOes it really make a difference? Seems to.

Barbara L said:

Right!! They are not sponges!! ~~~ I hold a few of them at a time in my hand under running water...Jostle them around a bit, and use them for their intended purpose!

That's good to know.

#4, usually.

Anyone who's ever seen a miniature forest of mushrooms sprouting from a cow patty knows instinctively that you should wash them. Keeping them dry, I think, is just an aesthetic. Wet mushrooms left on the cutting board oxidizes and turns black very quickly, which is of no big consequence if cooking but unappetizing in a raw salad.

I have a brush, which I also use for other cooking purposes. And I've also prepared mushrooms with #1, #2, #3 and #5, but usually go with a thorough wash followed by immediate cooking/eating.

Another washer of mushrooms under running water person here. A.B.'s myth-blaster episode was very fun and informative.

Back
Top Bottom