"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Food and Kitchen Safety

Old 11-02-2012, 09:42 AM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snip 13 View Post
I would wash it. Think it's gross to just wipe it and put it away. I'm just wired that way I guess. If we have 10 condiments at the table I will put out 10 spoons or knives to go with it, I also wipe condiment bottles and salt and pepper shakers after each use. I also use a fresh butter knife for jam and spreads, never the one that's got butter on it.
I'm with you on that.

I put out a small container of spoons and knives. Leave the spoon or knife in the container once it is used, if it is still clean. I don't even want the knife going back in with the condiment once it has been used to spread and might have gotten contaminated with some other condiment or butter. I want the condiment dropped from a spoon and spread with your own knife. I don't want any mustard in my mayo or butter in my jam, etc.

Old 11-02-2012, 10:22 AM   #12
Wine Guy

When my daughter comes home to visit, she will use a clean glass every time she wants something to drink. She will also get (up to) 10 plates dirty in a single day. By the time she leaves, there is a stack of dishes next to the sink.

I'm the opposite. I use the same glass all day for drinking out of and just rinse it out when I'm done. Same with plates and silverware. I'm pretty frugal there, too.

We have a dishwasher that gets run once a day (sometimes every other day) but I think my dish frugality dates back to when I was younger and had to hand wash everything. We didn't have the luxury of just being able to throw it in the machine.

My daughter, on the other hand, grew up in an era of dishwashers, and sees no problem with grabbing a clean dish or utensil every time she eats something. It's all what you grew up with I suppose.

Now if I could only train her to put those dirty dishes IN the dishwasher rather than on the counter right above it, I could die a happy man.

Old 11-02-2012, 10:24 AM   #13
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I'm with you on that.

I put out a small container of spoons and knives. Leave the spoon or knife in the container once it is used, if it is still clean. I don't even want the knife going back in with the condiment once it has been used to spread and might have gotten contaminated with some other condiment or butter. I want the condiment dropped from a spoon and spread with your own knife. I don't want any mustard in my mayo or butter in my jam, etc.
+1
Dry wiping implements that have been in contact with oily or greasy ingredients is unlikely to completely clean them. In an effort to protect the quality of our ground water, and condition of our waste water disposal system we:
- dry wipe all implements and rinse prior to washing
- rarely use our dish washing machine
- cool fatty cooking water and strain out solids before disposing of cooking water
- dilute certain cooking waters and some cleaning waters to a maximum of 1/3 strength before outside disposal.
Old 11-02-2012, 10:25 AM   #14
Master Chef

Quote:
I'm with you on that.

Or toast crumbs in my butter dish!! Drives me crazy
Glad to know I'm not the only one that's like that.

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 10:35 AM   #15
Master Chef

Quote:
Now if I could only train her to put those dirty dishes IN the dishwasher rather than on the counter right above it, I could die a happy man.
I also use a new glass each time and plate but I wash it myself, even when I visit people.
I also do the dishes after a meal at friends or family homes. They did all the hard work cooking, it's the least a guest can do!
I don't have a dishwasher anymore either, had to get rid of it when we moved into an apartment but my husband says it's a good thing because I wash the dishes almost clean before putting them in a dishwasher

Old 11-02-2012, 11:31 AM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Or toast crumbs in my butter dish!! Drives me crazy
Glad to know I'm not the only one that's like that.
I don't like crumbs in my butter dish, but I have learned to live with that.

I don't want crumbs on my cheese. I try to get everyone (Stirling and any guests) to use the wooden cutting board for bread and a small plastic cutting board for the cheese.
Old 11-03-2012, 12:18 AM   #17
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Shrek found out really quick when I quit washing dishes, how to use a single plate and glass for the day. When I was washing, I would come home to a sink full and I had been at work all day. Now when I get home there are NO dishes in the sink.
Old 11-03-2012, 12:25 AM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

DH usually has 4 or 6 different glasses distributed in different rooms. I like my one glass for everything. Just rinse it out.
Old 11-03-2012, 01:06 AM   #19
Master Chef

Quote:
I don't like crumbs in my butter dish, but I have learned to live with that.

I don't want crumbs on my cheese. I try to get everyone (Stirling and any guests) to use the wooden cutting board for bread and a small plastic cutting board for the cheese.
My solution, I have one butter dish for me and another for the family
I do all the dishing up and bread slicing and I keep my cheese in air tight containers already grated

Old 11-03-2012, 01:09 AM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
My solution, I have one butter dish for me and another for the family
I do all the dishing up and bread slicing and I keep my cheese in air tight containers already grated
If the cheese is already grated, how do you get slices? I put the chunk of cheese on the plastic cutting board and put the cheese plane next to it.