Cleaning Utensils

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If the cheese is already grated, how do you get slices? I put the chunk of cheese on the plastic cutting board and put the cheese plane next to it.

I have a conatainer with thinly sliced cheese too. When I buy a large wheel of cheese I finely grate some and make slices and wrap some whole for later use etc. I freeze some grated cheese for cooking, like for lasagna topping etc.
My husband will eat the whole cheese as is if I don't do this. He would eat a kg of cheese in a day!

I have a conatainer with thinly sliced cheese too. When I buy a large wheel of cheese I finely grate some and make slices and wrap some whole for later use etc. I freeze some grated cheese for cooking, like for lasagna topping etc.
My husband will eat the whole cheese as is if I don't do this. He would eat a kg of cheese in a day!

You say that like it's a bad thing:angel:

I would wash it. Think it's gross to just wipe it and put it away. I'm just wired that way I guess. If we have 10 condiments at the table I will put out 10 spoons or knives to go with it, I also wipe condiment bottles and salt and pepper shakers after each use. I also use a fresh butter knife for jam and spreads, never the one that's got butter on it.

I am the same Snip...always wiping everything after use and using different knives for different spreads etc :)

oldrustycars said:
I don't have a dishwasher. I'm a little OCD about leaving any dirty dishes in the sink overnight. Making my lunch for the next day is the last thing I do before bed. I'm also a noted cheapskate, I even think about the dot of dish soap I'd put on the knife. I use the paper towel I used to make my sandwich on to wipe off the knife. I'm just curious.
Part of my cheapskate-ry is jars are cheaper than squeeze bottles for the identical product.

I think we need to work on your OCD. LOL
It really would be ok to wipe the knife and leave it in the sink or on the counter to be sanitized later. If you make a plan, I think you can do it. ;)

Last edited:
I realized today another reason for washing/sanitizing the butter knife...I let the cats lick the butter off.

I have two complete service for eight sets of silverware. I just grab what I need out of the drawer and then toss it into a pan of water I keep there for just that purpose. Then when I run out of usually spoons, I wash them all in soapy hot water.

For plates and glasses, I buy paper. Why make more work for myself. But there are some foods that require a plate. Cutting into a steak on a paper plate doesn't go too well. So I use a regular one. That too get tossed into the sink with a quick rinse until I am ready to wash everything. I use a regular mug for coffee and other hot drinks. But I do have a package of paper cups with lids for coffee on the go. I live alone and don't have guests eating any meals here. But for my own health and food safety, I wash everything that isn't disposable. Even if I use it just once. If I do a tasting of food that I am making, the spoon gets tossed into the sink. and the next time I taste test, I use a new spoon. But that is me. :angel:

I stopped going to a certain big name sandwich shop because they would use a knife to cut a sandwich then scrape the mayo, mustard, etc. off on metal strip on the prep counter. They would use the same knife for consecutive customers scraping the knife over the same spot with what could be hours old condiment goo gluing itself to the counter. I got tired of having to ask for a fresh knife. Just made me wonder what other yucky habits they had. I go to other restaurants from the same chain but I watch them prepare a sandwich for other people to check out their cleanliness habits.

Depending on who's around and looking. I see no problem letting the dogs lick them clean and putting it back in the drawer for the next unsuspecting sucker to use it! Who needs dishwashers? :ROFLMAO:

And they wonder why I'm always snickering in the corner. :angel:

Depending on who's around and looking. I see no problem letting the dogs lick them clean and putting it back in the drawer for the next unsuspecting sucker to use it! Who needs dishwashers? :ROFLMAO:

And they wonder why I'm always snickering in the corner. :angel:

:ohmy: :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

At work, I run my knife under hot water every time I switch (the exception is if I cut cheese--then I wash with dish detergent). I dry on a a clean paper towel each time. Mind you, I am primarily working with cheese, fruits, and veggies. But, I clean the blade between each thing I'm chopping and I clean the cutting surface between each using a mild dish detergent - bleach solution, scrubbed down at the end of the day. At home, I wash all my knives by hand, but have two sets of knives and use one for meats, the other for produce and cheese. I also have different cutting boards for meat, veggies/fruit, and cheese.

I will take a fork or knife out of the drawer when I am cooking, test for doneness, then toss the untensil in the sink. Just out of habit. Then when I want to test the food again, I get another untensil. As a result, I can build up a large pile of not really dirty, but used cooking untensils.

Although the temp for the water is set by management, there is a way to over ride it. Having a plumber in the family helps. So my hot water is scalding. Everything in the sink gets washed with Dawn dish detergent and rinsed in scalding hot water. Way to hot to put your hands in.

At the end of the day, the sponge sits in a blowl of scalding hot water, some Dawn and a few drops of bleach. Spike buys me the commercial strength Dawn by the gallon. As a contractor, he gets a big discount. This is the Dawn that they donate to clean the animals caught in oil spills. I cannot imagine ever using any other product again. It cleans anything without any effort, that I throw at it. :angel:

I would wash the knife. If you just wipe it off you have no clue what is left behind in the crevices of the surface of the knife. Left in a nice warm drawer, especially on a hot summer day, bacteria could begin to grow and then spread to anything else in the drawer. Although this won't become a problem instantly, over time you will end up not feeling so great when you use the utensils again. Just because you cannot see the germs that are bad for you does not mean they are not there. Even the "good" germs cannot be seen.

Proper food sanitation keeps you healthy.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom