Cleaning Utensils

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oldrustycars

Senior Cook
A non-serrated butter knife is used to spread a condiment on a sandwich. Mayo, margarine, or mustard. It was never in anyone's mouth, wasn't licked off, just spread the condiment. Can it safely be thoroughly wiped off on a paper towel and stuck back in the drawer, or must it be dunked in the suds?
I won't bore you with the details on why I want to know. Thank you for any input.

Bore away :D

Interesting question. And it makes a lot of sense. SS is supposed to be kitchen safe as far as porosity and cleaning, so I see your reasoning. And I have noticed some people wash a lot more thoroughly than others, so there may not be much difference between a rinse in hot water and a quick wipe, or a soaking in dirty dishwater and a long wipe :ermm:

Big fan of the squeeze bottle here. Especially if I'm making lots of sandwiches that week. I can't remember the last time I bought a jar of mustard :huh: And my butter knife resides in the fridge next to the butter, standing up in a glass. How's that for efficiency in not washing? :LOL:

I find it too easy to toss that all in the dishwasher and run it. I see no practical reason to just wipe it off and toss it back in the drawer.

I find it too easy to toss that all in the dishwasher and run it. I see no practical reason to just wipe it off and toss it back in the drawer.
I don't have a dishwasher. I'm a little OCD about leaving any dirty dishes in the sink overnight. Making my lunch for the next day is the last thing I do before bed. I'm also a noted cheapskate, I even think about the dot of dish soap I'd put on the knife. I use the paper towel I used to make my sandwich on to wipe off the knife. I'm just curious.
Part of my cheapskate-ry is jars are cheaper than squeeze bottles for the identical product.

I rinse it off and leave it out for DH to use next, I don't stick it back in the drawer. I also rinse off a plate I used and leave that out for DH to reuse, unless it has sticky goo, then it goes in the dishwasher.

Last edited:
Most things like this mostly come down to fastidiousness. Very little chance of it being a health problem. Consider that it's little different from all sorts of dispensors used everywhere, except that the dispensors have the foodstuff crusted on them and aren't often wiped. And the human immune system, especially the gastrointestinal tract, can handle a great deal of disease causing bacteria without harm. Tiny bits that might be missed, like on the flat back edge of a knife, are nothing compared to what we handle every day. I generally don't do it, but I admit to having a fork and spoon at my desk that gets wiped off and put back to use the next day.

Most things like this mostly come down to fastidiousness. Very little chance of it being a health problem. Consider that it's little different from all sorts of dispensors used everywhere, except that the dispensors have the foodstuff crusted on them and aren't often wiped. And the human immune system, especially the gastrointestinal tract, can handle a great deal of disease causing bacteria without harm. Tiny bits that might be missed, like on the flat back edge of a knife, are nothing compared to what we handle every day. I generally don't do it, but I admit to having a fork and spoon at my desk that gets wiped off and put back to use the next day.

I do the same with my spork and Joyce Chen knife at work, however, if I am lending them, I will wash them first.

I'll re-use a knife or even a plate that I used for toast, but once it has been handled it has to be washed before it is put away.

I would wash it. Think it's gross to just wipe it and put it away. I'm just wired that way I guess. If we have 10 condiments at the table I will put out 10 spoons or knives to go with it, I also wipe condiment bottles and salt and pepper shakers after each use. I also use a fresh butter knife for jam and spreads, never the one that's got butter on it.

I would wash it. Think it's gross to just wipe it and put it away. I'm just wired that way I guess. If we have 10 condiments at the table I will put out 10 spoons or knives to go with it, I also wipe condiment bottles and salt and pepper shakers after each use. I also use a fresh butter knife for jam and spreads, never the one that's got butter on it.
I'm with you on that.

I put out a small container of spoons and knives. Leave the spoon or knife in the container once it is used, if it is still clean. I don't even want the knife going back in with the condiment once it has been used to spread and might have gotten contaminated with some other condiment or butter. I want the condiment dropped from a spoon and spread with your own knife. I don't want any mustard in my mayo or butter in my jam, etc.

When my daughter comes home to visit, she will use a clean glass every time she wants something to drink. She will also get (up to) 10 plates dirty in a single day. By the time she leaves, there is a stack of dishes next to the sink.

I'm the opposite. I use the same glass all day for drinking out of and just rinse it out when I'm done. Same with plates and silverware. I'm pretty frugal there, too.

We have a dishwasher that gets run once a day (sometimes every other day) but I think my dish frugality dates back to when I was younger and had to hand wash everything. We didn't have the luxury of just being able to throw it in the machine.

My daughter, on the other hand, grew up in an era of dishwashers, and sees no problem with grabbing a clean dish or utensil every time she eats something. It's all what you grew up with I suppose.

Now if I could only train her to put those dirty dishes IN the dishwasher rather than on the counter right above it, I could die a happy man. :rolleyes:

I'm with you on that.

I put out a small container of spoons and knives. Leave the spoon or knife in the container once it is used, if it is still clean. I don't even want the knife going back in with the condiment once it has been used to spread and might have gotten contaminated with some other condiment or butter. I want the condiment dropped from a spoon and spread with your own knife. I don't want any mustard in my mayo or butter in my jam, etc.
+1
Dry wiping implements that have been in contact with oily or greasy ingredients is unlikely to completely clean them. In an effort to protect the quality of our ground water, and condition of our waste water disposal system we:
- dry wipe all implements and rinse prior to washing
- rarely use our dish washing machine
- cool fatty cooking water and strain out solids before disposing of cooking water
- dilute certain cooking waters and some cleaning waters to a maximum of 1/3 strength before outside disposal.

I'm with you on that.

Or toast crumbs in my butter dish!! Drives me crazy :LOL:
Glad to know I'm not the only one that's like that.

Now if I could only train her to put those dirty dishes IN the dishwasher rather than on the counter right above it, I could die a happy man. :rolleyes:

I also use a new glass each time and plate but I wash it myself, even when I visit people.
I also do the dishes after a meal at friends or family homes. They did all the hard work cooking, it's the least a guest can do!
I don't have a dishwasher anymore either, had to get rid of it when we moved into an apartment but my husband says it's a good thing because I wash the dishes almost clean before putting them in a dishwasher :LOL:

Last edited by a moderator:
Or toast crumbs in my butter dish!! Drives me crazy :LOL:
Glad to know I'm not the only one that's like that.
I don't like crumbs in my butter dish, but I have learned to live with that.

I don't want crumbs on my cheese. I try to get everyone (Stirling and any guests) to use the wooden cutting board for bread and a small plastic cutting board for the cheese.

Shrek found out really quick when I quit washing dishes, how to use a single plate and glass for the day. When I was washing, I would come home to a sink full and I had been at work all day. Now when I get home there are NO dishes in the sink.:)

DH usually has 4 or 6 different glasses distributed in different rooms. I like my one glass for everything. Just rinse it out.

Last edited:
I don't like crumbs in my butter dish, but I have learned to live with that.

I don't want crumbs on my cheese. I try to get everyone (Stirling and any guests) to use the wooden cutting board for bread and a small plastic cutting board for the cheese.

My solution, I have one butter dish for me and another for the family :LOL:
I do all the dishing up and bread slicing and I keep my cheese in air tight containers already grated :angel:

My solution, I have one butter dish for me and another for the family :LOL:
I do all the dishing up and bread slicing and I keep my cheese in air tight containers already grated :angel:
If the cheese is already grated, how do you get slices? I put the chunk of cheese on the plastic cutting board and put the cheese plane next to it.

Back
Top Bottom