Cooking on the hob, safety issues

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

steegood

Assistant Cook
Hi,

I'm a student researching inclusive design for a project. Our chosen product is a saute pan which has extra safety and ease-of-use features. I'd really appreciate some comments on any problems/concerns you have in terms of safety, especially when cooking on the hob around children.

Also, any experience of finding it difficult to use a pan because of any disabilities or limitations ect.

Thank you very much,
Steven

Hi - Are you considering this for a gas or electric burner? Safety concerns for cookware are somewhat different with these heat sources. What is "inclusive" design ?

To me, the "hob" is the back of the stove on "warm". YMMV

I'm an Anglofile but don't always get the terms right.

Thanks for your replies. Ideally it could be used on both gas and electric (including induction). Inclusive design tries to make the product accessible and easy to use for people of various abilities.

And just to clairfy by hob I mean the top of the oven, the rings/stove where you'd use a frying pan ect.

Thanks,
Steven

I'd use the back burners of the hob to cook things that take a long time, I'd have pans with two handles, not one, and I'd fit a safety rail to discourage children. Thinking further about it, I'd install it as far to the back of the work surface as possible, to discourage children from trying to reach for pans. I'd install an automatic safety device that would cut off the energy supply in the event of an accident, and I'd put the on-off switches down the side of the hob and not at the front.

di reston

Back
Top Bottom