"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Food and Kitchen Safety
Click Here to Login

Old 02-19-2019, 01:23 PM   #11
Senior Cook

I sit while prepping. My office is right off the kitchen. I usually ask DH if there is anything I can do to help and 99.9% of the time he says no. Yesterday he said yes. So I helped him prep the fresh spinach. That took forever When will I learn to keep my mouth shut.

Seriously, it did feel good to contribute for a change.

cookieee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 11:15 PM   #12
Cook

Great idea and execution, OP!

profnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 11:54 PM   #13
Executive Chef

I have the opposite problem... I spend way too much time sitting for my own good.

My mom needs a walker to get around, but in the kitchen, she has these great gel-filled mats that ease the pressure on her legs, hips and back. She can stand on them and work in the kitchen, long enough to make part of a meal.

Have you tried a floor mat like these?

https://www.gelpro.com/GelPro-Elite-...size=3&color=6

CD
Old 02-21-2019, 01:44 AM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

A roll around "drafter's" or "director's" chair would help.

It's like a regular business or desk chair, but it has a long stem in the middle. You can practically stand with just your butt minimally resting on the chair when you are at work height.

I took one from work when it was being thrown out years ago because some of the adjustments came loose.

A liitle tightening, and I now have a hip height chair (I'm 6') that matches the height of my workbench in the garage.

It would easily adjust to work in a kitchen.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 11:08 AM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
A roll around "drafter's" or "director's" chair would help.

It's like a regular business or desk chair, but it has a long stem in the middle. You can practically stand with just your butt minimally resting on the chair when you are at work height.

I took one from work when it was being thrown out years ago because some of the adjustments came loose.

A liitle tightening, and I now have a hip height chair (I'm 6') that matches the height of my workbench in the garage.

It would easily adjust to work in a kitchen.

Excellent point for many about the drafter's chair Bucky. I tried one for my kitchen, but unfortunately with my short legs it didn't work out for me even at the lowest height. I'm 5'7" but my legs are stubby.
This is my very comfortable kitchen chair that allows me to scoot all over the kitchen, The arms are good to grab so it doesn't scoot out from under me and spills on it are easily cleanable.The chair is also nice for watching the kitchen TV. It's a duplicate to the ones we use at our computers. I know it looks expensive, but we got them with an online sale for around $60.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P2210003[1].jpg
Views:	18
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	33721  

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 03:20 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

That looks really nice for $60! What kind of online sale was it? My wife just set up an office in an unused room off the formal living room (it used to be the cats' room - cat trees, litter boxes, toys, a big picture window...), so I'd like to get her a nice chair to go with an antique desk we bought. Your chair would work nicely.

My department moved into new office space 2 years ago, and we each got a new, webbed type office chair that costs around $350+.

They are remarkably uncomfortable, and half of the chairs already have broken adjustment levers, and some of the webbing is tearing.
Old 02-21-2019, 04:09 PM   #17
Senior Cook

Bucky, that chair looks just like the one I'm sitting in now. I got mine at Office Depot during a close out sale a few months ago. Maybe some of their other stores might have some left.
cookieee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 04:12 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
That looks really nice for $60! What kind of online sale was it? My wife just set up an office in an unused room off the formal living room (it used to be the cats' room - cat trees, litter boxes, toys, a big picture window...), so I'd like to get her a nice chair to go with an antique desk we bought. Your chair would work nicely.

My department moved into new office space 2 years ago, and we each got a new, webbed type office chair that costs around $350+.

They are remarkably uncomfortable, and half of the chairs already have broken adjustment levers, and some of the webbing is tearing.

We got them online at Staples Bucky. It's called the "managers chair" (fitting. lol) and they're $70 now.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 06:56 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Thank you cookieee and K-L.

Tags
cook, cooking