"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Food and Kitchen Safety

Old 01-16-2008, 06:38 PM   #11
Executive Chef

I still think there are those of us that just have a higher tolerance. For example, my mother always bought the meat that was reduced because it was on its last sale day. We'd eat it and be fine. Never got sick as a kid.

Now I've been known to leave the packaged sausage out over night and still eat it and be fine. I really think some people have a better digestive system and who are less sensitive than others.

Jennyema your list: foods such as turkey, beef, seafood, salads, potatoes, rice, noodles, food mixes -(sauces, soups, casseroles), milk powder, various bakery products and desserts especially items with custard and cream.
Confuses me. milk powder? Does that mean powdered milk? I thought that lasted forever. And noodles? We leave those easily for a week. I must really have an outrageously high tolerance if this list is true.

Old 01-16-2008, 07:06 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callisto in NC View Post
I still think there are those of us that just have a higher tolerance. For example, my mother always bought the meat that was reduced because it was on its last sale day. We'd eat it and be fine. Never got sick as a kid.

Now I've been known to leave the packaged sausage out over night and still eat it and be fine. I really think some people have a better digestive system and who are less sensitive than others.
I agree with you, Callisto, although I think it has more to do with the strength of one's immune system than one's digestive system. More and more research is showing that living in an environment that's too antiseptic is not as healthy as people have assumed. More and more kids are developing allergies in part because they are *not* being exposed to allergens when they're young, so their immune systems overreact later. Fear and Allergies in the Lunchroom | Newsweek To Your Health | Newsweek.com

In order to work properly, your immune system needs something to work on. This doesn't mean I'm advising anyone to eat anything that's bad, but I think we as a society have gotten way too squeamish about some things.

Old 01-16-2008, 07:44 PM   #13
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callisto in NC View Post

Jennyema your list: foods such as turkey, beef, seafood, salads, potatoes, rice, noodles, food mixes -(sauces, soups, casseroles), milk powder, various bakery products and desserts especially items with custard and cream.
Confuses me. milk powder? Does that mean powdered milk? I thought that lasted forever. And noodles? We leave those easily for a week. I must really have an outrageously high tolerance if this list is true.
Callisto,

Nothing you have said above indicates higher tolerance or a better digestive system, Unless you mean a higher tolerance like those people on "Survivor" who eat chicken embryos and worms.

Buying meat on the last sell by date is not a risky practice. Leaving packaged sausage out (I assume you are thawing it?) overnight is more risky but not like being one of the Flying Wallendas or something.

Proper cooking of foods will take care of the vast majority of pathogenic organisms, spores, toxins, worms, and so on. It is what happens afterward that is the real problem.

Eating 6 day old food is riskier than eating 1 day old food. How much riskier is based on how well the food has been handled after cooking.

But eating 6 day old food is clearly compromising quality and at least some level of safety for economy. I'm getting older and I don't have time to eat poor quality food or chance getting sick, even to save a buck.
Old 01-16-2008, 07:57 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I agree with you, Callisto, although I think it has more to do with the strength of one's immune system than one's digestive system. More and more research is showing that living in an environment that's too antiseptic is not as healthy as people have assumed. More and more kids are developing allergies in part because they are *not* being exposed to allergens when they're young, so their immune systems overreact later. Fear and Allergies in the Lunchroom | Newsweek To Your Health | Newsweek.com

In order to work properly, your immune system needs something to work on. This doesn't mean I'm advising anyone to eat anything that's bad, but I think we as a society have gotten way too squeamish about some things.
This explains why my daughter, who was going to Disneyland twice or more a week from the time she was 14 days to the time she was 3, and then Sea World every weekend until she was 12, has missed less than 10 days in 12 years of school. We got her built up and kicking those bugs butts all these years.
Old 01-16-2008, 08:04 PM   #15
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by mozart View Post
Callisto,

Nothing you have said above indicates higher tolerance or a better digestive system, Unless you mean a higher tolerance like those people on "Survivor" who eat chicken embryos and worms.

Buying meat on the last sell by date is not a risky practice. Leaving packaged sausage out (I assume you are thawing it?) overnight is more risky but not like being one of the Flying Wallendas or something.

Proper cooking of foods will take care of the vast majority of pathogenic organisms, spores, toxins, worms, and so on. It is what happens afterward that is the real problem.

Eating 6 day old food is riskier than eating 1 day old food. How much riskier is based on how well the food has been handled after cooking.

But eating 6 day old food is clearly compromising quality and at least some level of safety for economy. I'm getting older and I don't have time to eat poor quality food or chance getting sick, even to save a buck.
Sausage ~ nope just forget to put it away after buying it from time to time.

Meat ~ never said we ate it right away. Two/three days after she bought it we would eat it.

I'm a single mom, unless it's growing legs and walking out of the fridge itself, we're eating it. I'd love the have Charlie weigh in here. I'm pretty sure people in other countries don't toss food just because it's a couple days old and they are always setting those "oldest living person" records.
Old 01-16-2008, 10:55 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Any time I make a huge pot of what ever I freeze it in smaller portions the next day then if I want more no big deal if not it's already frozen for later
Old 01-23-2008, 06:12 AM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
[quote=Constance;535217]I would just like to have your corn chowder recipe, Suzi! Seriously.]

I've been meaning to do this for a a few days, sorry! Picked up extra hours at work.

I get nervous about sharing recipes, I have issues with criticism, so if you don't like it, don't tell me!! Please!!! That's why I never went to cooking school like I wanted, I could never hack restaurant work.

Anyway, here goes!

4 cups frozen sweet corn
3 medium potatoes, diced
1 onion, chopped
3 1/2 cups water
7 chicken bullion cubes
1/2 tsp pepper
3 1/2 cups milk
3 TB flour
6 TB butter
Depending on how good the corn is, sometimes I use a tsp. or so of sugar.
sprinkle of salt? (I don't use it, DH does)

Add frozen corn, potatoes, onions, water, bullion, and pepper to pot. Bring to boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer 10 min or til potatoes are tender.

Stir in 2 cups of the milk and the butter. Combine remaining milk and the flour, then add to corn mixture. Cook and stir 'til thickened and bubbly, cook 1 minute more. Enjoy!

Very easy, and I use 1% milk so its very easy on the waist!
Old 01-23-2008, 04:35 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
I meant a tsp of sugar, sorry. A TB would be alot!!!!!!
Old 01-23-2008, 05:03 PM   #19
Master Chef

Looks like a really good recipe. I think I'll make it this weekend, actually.

THANKS!
Old 01-23-2008, 10:38 PM   #20
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by mozart View Post
Callisto,

Are those fresh embryos and worms, or have they been sitting in the fridge for a week?

Makes a difference.

Quote:

I'm with Jenny on this. And this was discussed tonight in my Sanitation class (teacher said we would discuss this more next class)

Yes, cooking kills most of the pathogens and parasites. But bacteria and parasites are living creatures, like everything that lives they eat and EXCREET. These excretions are toxins.

Cooking/ recooking does little to nothing to reduce the bacteria/ pathogen and parasite poop ... I mean toxins.

Then there are the bacteria which form spores when placed in hostile environments. Some of these spores are rather difficult to kill. After cooking the spores return to bacteria and grow in the fridge, some times with a vengeance.

I was so much happier before I started taking this class.