Corn Chowder, 6 days old

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

suziquzie

Chef Extraordinaire
I made it last Thursday. Would you eat it? There's no meat in it, but I'm thinking toss it. I toss most things after 3 days. There's so much of it I hate to waste it though. :ermm:

Umm....no......

I made it last Thursday. Would you eat it? There's no meat in it, but I'm thinking toss it. I toss most things after 3 days. There's so much of it I hate to waste it though. :ermm:

I wouldn't eat any prepared food that was 6 days old. Just the aesthetics alone are enough to make me toss it. However, from a pathogenic bacteria standpoint, it probably isn't any worse off than it was on day two, assuming the refrigerator is functioning properly. Food spoilage bacteria usually give some pretty good indications with both smell and changes in the physical characteristics of the food.

I am pretty careful about how I handle prepared foods after cooking. The reason is that most food poisonings occur due to contamination and improper storage AFTER cooking.

For example, one thing I see on cooking shows that drives me crazy is when the cook picks up a spoon and "tests" the food, and then uses the same spoon to test the food after seasoning and taking off the heat. This transfer of bacteria from the mouth to the spoon to the prepared food (the top of which may by now be well below 140 degrees) starts the process of potential problems.

Then the food sits there for an hour or so while you eat, and another hour to cool down. Then many folks will put the food in the original deep container into the refrigerator and it may well take sever hours to reach 40 degrees.

Even then the food would be relatively safe if reheated to boiling for a few minutes, but how many people really do that? Often we just reheat it to 120 degrees or so.

Anyway, last night I made a gigantic pot of bean soup with a couple of ham bones I had left from the holidays. I have learned from bitter experience that it is best to only keep a couple of servings in the refrigerator and freeze the rest in serving portions (in our case 2 portions). As good as my bean soup is,:LOL:I don't want to be eating it for 3 days in a row. After the 2nd day, it just sits there and ends up getting thrown out.

As to the OP, why take a chance?

As to the OP, why take a chance?[/quote]

Because I am cheap....:LOL:
It's in the trash, I'll have to make some more. :chef:

THREE DAYS? :ohmy::ohmy: I haven't even gotten around to thinking about freezing in three days. I must have been raised to have a high tolerance because I wouldn't even blink at eating something that was only 6 days old. I eat it and freeze the rest.

Personally, I would eat it as long as it still smells like chowder and doesn't have anything growing on it! Sometimes I think the germaphobies have taken over the world. Reheat it to the correct temp and you will kill any bugs that may have started a home. You can freeze it in smaller portions now too. If there is a lot of it don't throw it out yet. Chances are there is still some good stuff there.

I guess my criteria for what I will and won't eat is a little higher than "it won't kill me" type thinking.

Now if any of you can make a plausible argument that 6 day old chowder is actually of higher quality and taste than the day it was made, I might be willing to give it a try:ROFLMAO:

Reheat it to the correct temp and you will kill any bugs that may have started a home. .

Not true. Many bacteria throw off spores and toxins that are heat resistant and can give you food poisoning.

Bacillus cereus is one and it is found in: "foods such as turkey, beef, seafood, salads, potatoes, rice, noodles, food mixes -(sauces, soups, casseroles), milk powder, various bakery products and desserts especially items with custard and cream. "

Can you say, "corn chowder?"

If it were true, you wouldn't need a refrigerator.

IMO you should throw it out.

Last edited:
I would just like to have your corn chowder recipe, Suzi! Seriously.

As to how long I'll keep things in the fridge, that depends on what it is. I'll eat ham'n beans that are six days old.
Anything with milk or cream, like corn chowder, tends to get watery pretty quickly, so it goes into the freezer the third day...or else down the lane with my daughter when she gets home from work. She's always thrilled when she doesn't have to cook supper.

By the way, we never double-dip when we're tasting. I just spoon a little bit into a small bowl, and we taste out of that.
Also, when re-heating, we only heat up what we're going to eat that night. Leftovers go to the dog.

I think someone above said it depends on your refrigerator, and that's so true. I'm lucky to have a good dependable one now, but I've had my share of hand-me-downs, and if you can't trust your fridge to keep the food below 40 degrees, then you'd best be very careful.

I still think there are those of us that just have a higher tolerance. For example, my mother always bought the meat that was reduced because it was on its last sale day. We'd eat it and be fine. Never got sick as a kid.

Now I've been known to leave the packaged sausage out over night and still eat it and be fine. I really think some people have a better digestive system and who are less sensitive than others.

Jennyema your list: foods such as turkey, beef, seafood, salads, potatoes, rice, noodles, food mixes -(sauces, soups, casseroles), milk powder, various bakery products and desserts especially items with custard and cream.
Confuses me. milk powder? Does that mean powdered milk? I thought that lasted forever. And noodles? We leave those easily for a week. I must really have an outrageously high tolerance if this list is true.

I still think there are those of us that just have a higher tolerance. For example, my mother always bought the meat that was reduced because it was on its last sale day. We'd eat it and be fine. Never got sick as a kid.

Now I've been known to leave the packaged sausage out over night and still eat it and be fine. I really think some people have a better digestive system and who are less sensitive than others.

I agree with you, Callisto, although I think it has more to do with the strength of one's immune system than one's digestive system. More and more research is showing that living in an environment that's too antiseptic is not as healthy as people have assumed. More and more kids are developing allergies in part because they are *not* being exposed to allergens when they're young, so their immune systems overreact later. Fear and Allergies in the Lunchroom | Newsweek To Your Health | Newsweek.com

In order to work properly, your immune system needs something to work on. This doesn't mean I'm advising anyone to eat anything that's bad, but I think we as a society have gotten way too squeamish about some things.

Jennyema your list: foods such as turkey, beef, seafood, salads, potatoes, rice, noodles, food mixes -(sauces, soups, casseroles), milk powder, various bakery products and desserts especially items with custard and cream.
Confuses me. milk powder? Does that mean powdered milk? I thought that lasted forever. And noodles? We leave those easily for a week. I must really have an outrageously high tolerance if this list is true.

Callisto,

Nothing you have said above indicates higher tolerance or a better digestive system, Unless you mean a higher tolerance like those people on "Survivor" who eat chicken embryos and worms:ROFLMAO:.

Buying meat on the last sell by date is not a risky practice. Leaving packaged sausage out (I assume you are thawing it?) overnight is more risky but not like being one of the Flying Wallendas or something.

Proper cooking of foods will take care of the vast majority of pathogenic organisms, spores, toxins, worms, and so on. It is what happens afterward that is the real problem.

Eating 6 day old food is riskier than eating 1 day old food. How much riskier is based on how well the food has been handled after cooking.

But eating 6 day old food is clearly compromising quality and at least some level of safety for economy. I'm getting older and I don't have time to eat poor quality food or chance getting sick, even to save a buck.

I agree with you, Callisto, although I think it has more to do with the strength of one's immune system than one's digestive system. More and more research is showing that living in an environment that's too antiseptic is not as healthy as people have assumed. More and more kids are developing allergies in part because they are *not* being exposed to allergens when they're young, so their immune systems overreact later. Fear and Allergies in the Lunchroom | Newsweek To Your Health | Newsweek.com

In order to work properly, your immune system needs something to work on. This doesn't mean I'm advising anyone to eat anything that's bad, but I think we as a society have gotten way too squeamish about some things.
This explains why my daughter, who was going to Disneyland twice or more a week from the time she was 14 days to the time she was 3, and then Sea World every weekend until she was 12, has missed less than 10 days in 12 years of school. We got her built up and kicking those bugs butts all these years. :)

Callisto,

Nothing you have said above indicates higher tolerance or a better digestive system, Unless you mean a higher tolerance like those people on "Survivor" who eat chicken embryos and worms:ROFLMAO:.

Buying meat on the last sell by date is not a risky practice. Leaving packaged sausage out (I assume you are thawing it?) overnight is more risky but not like being one of the Flying Wallendas or something.

Proper cooking of foods will take care of the vast majority of pathogenic organisms, spores, toxins, worms, and so on. It is what happens afterward that is the real problem.

Eating 6 day old food is riskier than eating 1 day old food. How much riskier is based on how well the food has been handled after cooking.

But eating 6 day old food is clearly compromising quality and at least some level of safety for economy. I'm getting older and I don't have time to eat poor quality food or chance getting sick, even to save a buck.
Sausage ~ nope just forget to put it away after buying it from time to time.

Meat ~ never said we ate it right away. Two/three days after she bought it we would eat it.

I'm a single mom, unless it's growing legs and walking out of the fridge itself, we're eating it. I'd love the have Charlie weigh in here. I'm pretty sure people in other countries don't toss food just because it's a couple days old and they are always setting those "oldest living person" records.

:) Any time I make a huge pot of what ever I freeze it in smaller portions the next day then if I want more no big deal if not it's already frozen for later

I would just like to have your corn chowder recipe, Suzi! Seriously.]

I've been meaning to do this for a a few days, sorry! Picked up extra hours at work.

I get nervous about sharing recipes, I have issues with criticism, so if you don't like it, don't tell me!! Please!!! That's why I never went to cooking school like I wanted, I could never hack restaurant work. :ermm:

Anyway, here goes!

4 cups frozen sweet corn
3 medium potatoes, diced
1 onion, chopped
3 1/2 cups water
7 chicken bullion cubes
1/2 tsp pepper
3 1/2 cups milk
3 TB flour
6 TB butter
Depending on how good the corn is, sometimes I use a tsp. or so of sugar.
sprinkle of salt? (I don't use it, DH does)

Add frozen corn, potatoes, onions, water, bullion, and pepper to pot. Bring to boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer 10 min or til potatoes are tender.

Stir in 2 cups of the milk and the butter. Combine remaining milk and the flour, then add to corn mixture. Cook and stir 'til thickened and bubbly, cook 1 minute more. Enjoy!

Very easy, and I use 1% milk so its very easy on the waist! :chef:

Last edited by a moderator:
I meant a tsp of sugar, sorry. A TB would be alot!!!!!!

Callisto,

Are those fresh embryos and worms, or have they been sitting in the fridge for a week?

Makes a difference.

I'm with Jenny on this. And this was discussed tonight in my Sanitation class (teacher said we would discuss this more next class)

Yes, cooking kills most of the pathogens and parasites. But bacteria and parasites are living creatures, like everything that lives they eat and EXCREET. These excretions are toxins.

Cooking/ recooking does little to nothing to reduce the bacteria/ pathogen and parasite poop ... I mean toxins.

Then there are the bacteria which form spores when placed in hostile environments. Some of these spores are rather difficult to kill. After cooking the spores return to bacteria and grow in the fridge, some times with a vengeance.

I was so much happier before I started taking this class.

Back
Top Bottom