Cut or Burn?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Which do you find happens to you more in the kitchen?

• I cut myself

Votes: 5 15.6%
  • I burn myself

Votes: 22 68.8%
  • I do both about the same amount.

Votes: 5 15.6%

• Total voters
i worked at a burger king when i was in high school and saw a bully toss a coworkers wallet into the deep fryer. without thinking, the kid reached down into the 375 degree oil to retrieve it.

when he pulled his hand out, the skin was literally melting off.
Back in the 70's I worked at a KFC. One guy was standing on the fryer to wipe the inside of the ventilation canopy, which, of course, we were not supposed to do. He slipped and his foot went into the fryer and his gum rubber boot filled up with hot oil. He had to take a few weeks off of work.....

Working in the bakery, was watching a salesman's demo of a new cake donut mix. He dropped his flipping stick into the deep fryer and reached in and grabbed it.

I took the tops off both hands on the ovens in the bakery...it didn't even hurt until about 20 minutes later.

I burn myself always. Last week was really stupid! :bangin: I was toasting marshmallows and the thing started falling off of my long fork! Yes....I tried to catch it so that I could save it. I burned myself pretty good, and it still fell onto the deck! 5 second rule...I ate it anyway! :yum:

I am a cutter. When I got my 12" Shun Chefs Knife in the mail, of course I had to try it out. Proceded to cut the top of one finger really bad. Being on blood thinners made the whole experience worse. I quickly presented the knife to Spike.

When I am working with a knife, I have a bad habit of not looking when I go to pick up the knife after I put it down. I just seem to love grabbing that blade. Remember those cans that had the key on the side or top of the can? Like the Spam can? Well I was winding a can open and it sprung on me and slit one finger right down to the bone. Blood and gore has never bothered me.

I don't own a pot holder. I have used a kitchen towel since the day I first got married. My mother used one and so have I all these years. And my first hubby taught me the trick of covering a hot pot handle with the towel as a reminder. :angel:

... First ice (mostly to get the hand wet) until you feel like you're getting frostbite. Then liberally coat the burned spot with table salt to draw out the heat...

If you have ice on a burn until it feels like you're getting frostbite, the heat's long gone. The salt does nothing more. You can't draw more heat out than is there. I'd be willing to bet the ice alone wold have the same effect.

Try it Andy. After you take the hand out of the ice bath you can start to feel heat back in that spot. At least I can, so maybe I have to take my hand out sooner because I get cold faster? All I know is doing it that way I've never had a blister, not so much as a red spot, no matter how badly I've burned the skin.

I've never heard about the salt thing for a burn. I've done vinegar. THAT one surprised me and it worked great.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom