"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Food and Kitchen Safety

Old 04-18-2009, 06:51 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Defrosted then re-frozen uncooked Mrs. Smith Pies - Help!

My father recently purchased a couple of Mrs. Smiths frozen pies and when he brought them home he placed them in the fridge instead of the freezer. Even though I saw them in the fridge for a couple of days I never thought anything about it. Anyways, about 5 or 6 days later it finally hit me that these need to be in the freezer so I promptly put them in there. However, I am now wondering if the pies will be fine. They have been in the freezer for over a week so they are quite thoroughly frozen.

So my question is... will the pies be fine when I decide to bake them?

Old 04-18-2009, 07:55 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

I think they will, since they were properly refrigerated. Refreezing and thawing may make them a little mushy.

However, check the box. If it says something like, "Consume within three days of defrosting." or something similar, you may want to toss them.

Old 04-18-2009, 08:07 PM   #3
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I think they will, since they were properly refrigerated. Refreezing and thawing may make them a little mushy.

However, check the box. If it says something like, "Consume within three days of defrosting." or something similar, you may want to toss them.
The box isn't much help. The only cautions it gives is to "Keep Frozen" and to not keep for more than 3 days after cooking. Their website isn't much help either. Anyways, thanks for the help. Any other takers?
Old 04-18-2009, 08:11 PM   #4
Master Chef

I agree with Andy M. - since they were refrigerated they will probably be safe. Since they are not intended to be baked from a thawed state you would have had to refreeze them anyway. But, since they were thawed and for that long - you might have a soggy bottom (the bottom pie crust).
Old 04-18-2009, 09:29 PM   #5
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael in FtW View Post
I agree with Andy M. - since they were refrigerated they will probably be safe. Since they are not intended to be baked from a thawed state you would have had to refreeze them anyway. But, since they were thawed and for that long - you might have a soggy bottom (the bottom pie crust).
Thanks guys. Went ahead and cooked the cherry pie. Surprisingly the bottom wasn't bad. Mrs. Smith's pies have holes on the bottom so I assume that played a part in keeping the bottom of the crust somewhat crisp.