Defrosting ground hamburger meat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

elitecodex

Assistant Cook
Hey everyone... Sorry if this has been answered before but I could not locate any posts regarding it.

I had a little less than a pound of ground hamburger meat (80/20 i think) in the freezer for probably a week. I took it out two days ago and let it defrost in the fridge. Its been in there since.

My question is is this ok eat? How long could a meat go like this once defrosted? There does not appear to be any discoloration nor any foul smell so Im thinking its ok, but Im not sure.

Thanks!

I'm not sure on the science behind it, but I have done the same, but went no longer than 3 days, you may be able to get another (4th) day out of it depending on the temp of your fridge (32-40 deg F). But you say there is no smell or discoloration, it would be eaten in my opinion.

If the meat was frozen soon after it was brought home, there should be no problem. It probably took at least half a day to defrost anyhow, and it was refrigerated.

It would all depend on how fresh the meat was when you got it and when you froze it.

:clap:, hehe, yeah ... I was assuming fresh and immediately frozen. Shouldn't assume. I also think that smell and color come into play as evidence of old meat. This isn't always the case, a past grocery in my area got caught 'turning' their meat when the surface gets gray so they can still sell it under "Manager's Special" for a few more days. They are longer in our area thankfully, but these practices can go on until caught again. People sometimes 'bleach' fish too. When you can smell the fish, it's old, and I've known people to mix a little bleach in water and rinse the fish with it, then rinse with water and the smell goes away, just to give it another day or two in the market or restaurant.

IMO, I do not think that you have too much to worry about. If you let it defrost in the refrigerator, I has been thawed for about a day. I would use it if there is no odor or discoloring. I would use it for something that I was cooking well done, not rare.

I agree with GB. Sometimes hamburger is on sale because it is close to its expiration date. Also you didn't say how long you had it home before you froze that partial pound.

Anything going in the freezer that is safe at that time and defrosted and kept under refrigeration should be safe the day after it is defrosted. I wouldn't be concerned but I would cook it soon and as advised above, cook it well done.

Thanks everyone for their input.

Just as a note, I brought it home, took what I needed and froze the rest immediately. I did end up cooking it and am still kicking at the moment. I guess time will tell :)

Thanks again to everyone for their input and help.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom