"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Food and Kitchen Safety
Old 12-17-2014, 10:41 PM   #1
Head Chef
Dessicated bug found in my flour

Hello to all! I have been inactive in DC for quite some time now. I used to live in Bangkok when I posted to DC last. Now I'm based in Singapore and still cooking and baking.

A few days ago while making a pie crust, I found a dried-up winged insect in my Pillsbury flour. I had just newly opened the flour bag which I bought at a local grocery here. The product is imported from the USA. I am keeping the flour in its original packaging and I am keeping the insect as evidence (it broke into two during handling). I dare not use the rest of the flour in case there are insect eggs.

I tried to complain on the Pillsbury website but it does not accept complaints from outside the USA

I contacted the store I bought it from and they want to take the flour and insect for testing. However when I asked if they were going to remove the product from store shelves or do some form of recall, they never got back to me anymore. (Remember that flours are produced in huge batches so this contamination may well cover a lot of this product out there.) I returned to the store and didn't see the same product anymore on their store shelves. I had asked them to copy me on their complaint to Pillsbury but they have gone silent on this as well.

Since I prefer to complain directly to Pillsbury and get answers from them myself, I thought it may be better if I post this complaint in DC and maybe somebody here can kindly complain on my behalf somehow? I thought of posting this complaint on Facebook but that's not my style...

I am attaching the photos. Kindly let me know if anyone would like to help me make the complaint. You can PM me for my personal details in case Pillsbury wished to make contact.

Many thanks!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pillsbury Flour Pack.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	22365   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pillsbury back.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	22366  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Insect in Pillsbury.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	22367  

'Never eat more than you can lift.' - Miss Piggy
Chopstix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 11:37 PM   #2
Head Chef
Bangkok you say...hmmm. Expiration date? Keep us tuned in on where the bugs originated from.

Caslon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 06:20 AM   #3
Senior Cook
If you've ever eaten any food made from grains, like bread, oatmeal, cereal and even beer, you've eaten bugs and plenty of them.

I lived and worked on a farm for many years and I can tell you a truck load of wheat, or oats, or barley, has probably a garbage can's worth of bugs in it. Some crawl, some jump, some stink, some fly, some make weird noises. There are green ones, red ones, yellow ones, black ones and irredescent ones. Some have stingers, some have pinchers, some have horns, some spit juice. Many are pregnant or are carrying their young on them. Some of them have just gone to the bathroom and others are ready to. None of them get removed. They all remain mixed in.

Obviously we don't die from them, but how does that make you feel? Enjoy.

I copied and pasted this from another page. It is absolutely true. I raised wheat and I have hauled wheat to different flour mills around the mid west. The most recognizable one is Martha Gooch. Every single load of wheat has bugs and bug parts in it. I dont know how they get them out. Alot of the bugs are smaller then the wheat.

This bug Chopstix found obviously got in after the milling. I wonder how many made it in before.
Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
Farmer Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 07:38 AM   #4
Wine Guy
It's just added protein!
Steve Kroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 07:42 AM   #5
Head Chef
If you are not too sqeamish it's interesting to read the FDA standards.
Bigjim68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 08:45 AM   #6
Head Chef
Hey, there's a project around here getting started to make cricket flour.
"Kitchen duty is awarded only to those of manifest excellence..." - The Master, Dogen
GLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 09:29 AM   #7
Master Chef
Id probably sift the remaining flour and use it.
Less is not more. More is more and more is fabulous.
jennyema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 05:22 PM   #8
Executive Chef
Site Moderator
While I would find this kinda gross, I wouldn't be surprised. I'm actually quite impressed that they keep these things out of our food most of the time. I remember finding more bugs in food as a kid, especially breakfast cereal, usually alive, fresh from the grocery store. Now cereal has an expiration date on it, and is packaged in plastic.
I'm Bloggin'

bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 07:53 PM   #9
Master Chef
I agree that we all eat critters and critter by-products in our food all the time. But if I found a bug that big in my flour, I'd be grossed out and throw out the whole bag.
Grandchildren fill the space in your heart you never knew was empty.
Cheryl J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 08:38 PM   #10
Certifiable Executive Chef
Site Administrator
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
.... I remember finding more bugs in food as a kid, especially breakfast cereal, usually alive, fresh from the grocery store. .
Me too but in all fairness my eyesight was better when I was a kid ;)

Forget love... I'd rather fall in chocolate!
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote