Did anyone feel sick after eating oysters?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Gee Medtran, you are lucky if all you get is a migraine. I have a full blown allergy to some shell fish. I immediately get stomach sick and start tossing it right away, even before I can get up from the table. The last time that happened they had to call 911 for me and off I went to get my stomach pumped and my whole system pumped with medications. It turned into a two day stay at the hospital. The migraine came after I had it all out of my stomach. Then the only thing that would end the migraine was to toss some more with the dry heaves that lasted for a couple of hours. It was scallops that time.

Needless to say, I am really careful eating shell fish today. The only kind I have never had a reaction to is fried clams, and boiled lobster meat. Baked lobster also makes me sick. I will eat the fried clams when I am out, but lobster only if at home and those critters are alive when they go into the pot. The price of lobsters should be going down pretty soon, so it looks like lobster rolls will be on my plate real soon. :angel:

I remember one time I ate a funky tasting one, and sure enough, later that evening I got the cramps in the lower intestines, then it came out quicker than it went in. Nothing too bad, however. I still eat them from time to time and will continue to do so...

I would not call going temporarily blind lucky but....:rolleyes:

I don't ever think I have had a migraine that was blinding. I do become extremely sensitive to light and any noise. The worst one I ever had was for four days. That one was from becoming so seasick that I spent the four days in the hospital. Sunburnt, heat stroke and a host of other problems along with the migraine.

I don't ever think I have had a migraine that was blinding. I do become extremely sensitive to light and any noise. The worst one I ever had was for four days. That one was from becoming so seasick that I spent the four days in the hospital. Sunburnt, heat stroke and a host of other problems along with the migraine.

Addie, just because you've never experienced the blinding effects of a migraine, doesn't mean others haven't. Saying that they are 'lucky' because they haven't gone through the same experience as you, is a little insensitive.

Last edited:
Addie, just because you've never experienced the blinding effects of a migraine, doesn't mean others haven't. Saying that they are 'lucky' because they haven't gone through the same experience as you, is a little insensitive.

Did you see the word "literally" at all in my post? Picky, picky, picky! You need to stop finding so much fault with the posts of other members. :angel:

I was at my grandkids school the other day.
They seemed to get along much better than some of you do here. They were all about 5 or 6 years old.
Its like its a contest in here sometimes.

They seemed to get along much better than some of you do here. They were all about 5 or 6 years old.

And the wheels on the bus go round and round. :LOL:

Excellent observation but be sure to notice the playbill. ;)

Two movies that make me crave oysters on the shell everytime I watch them.

"Hard Times" 1975. Starring Charles Bronson, James Coburn. The scene where Charles Bronson's character first meets James Coburn. James is having a bunch of oysters on the shell in a New Orleans diner during the Depression.

"The Cincinnati Kid" 1965. Starring Steve McQueen and Edward G. Robinson. Robinson has come to town for the big poker game. In his hotel room, the waiter brings in a roll cart full of oysters on sterling silver tray.

Everytime I view those scenes, I suddenly have this desire for oysters on the shell. :LOL:

Last edited:
Everytime I view those scenes, I suddenly have this desire for oysters on the shell. :LOL:

What about the scene in one of the Hunger Games series where Peeta eats an oyster and finds a black pearl and gives it to Katniss?

I saw the movie "Chocolat" last week, I didn't crave chocolate until the second time I watched it. Now I'm on a chocolate streak (dark chocolate only).

Oysters are on the list of foods to avoid once you are over 65. Foods to avoid if you're over 65

That's an interesting list, blissful. Considering my great aunt ate many of those things and lived safely until age 86, I don't know how much stock I'd put in it though. Himself loves Bleu cheese. He's 67. I guess I'll keep buying it for him and see if he keels over. :ermm: :ohmy: :LOL:

It's caused by pollen, like sneezing and sniffles. ;)

Did anyone feel sick after eating oysters?

Yes, me. A group of us shared a huge platter of (raw) oysters in a restaurant in France. I was the only one with a bad reaction. I'm not sure whether I got the rogue oyster on the platter or whether I'm allergic so I've never tried them since.

A pity, because I loved them at first slurp.

Foods to avoid if you're over 65! Oh dear. I am sensible about what I eat and where I eat it but, really, if I've got to 67 without dying from food poisoning, I think I can probably risk some of the foods on that list. I'd rather die tomorrow as a result of eating something delicious than live to 100 on bland food considered "suitable" for an old woman.

"I always hold with having it if you fancy it - a little of what you fancy does you good" to quote Marie LLoyd's rather rude music hall song

Food

Kayelle and I were on a 32 day cruise on Princess from Buenos Aires to Los Angeles. Our comment on the food served was it was "dumbded down" to suit the Midwestern taste. I found a website offering 12 different spices in a travel kit, and we may have to take it on our next cruise along with a bottle o f Sriracha.

*AHEM* What do you MEAN by "dumbed down to suit the Midwestern taste"? As someone who was Cleveland born-and-raised, I am insulted, Souschef. And sad. I'm guessing you've never vacationed anywhere near America's North Coast?

When I was in my very early 20s, two of my female co-workers took me under their wings independently to educate my palate. Dear V. was an accomplished home chef. After she was widowed, I was privileged to be invited to many dinners (working as prep-cook, too) that had a table with a Brit, a student from St. Thomas, one from Uganda, and one from Kenya. The food was as diverse and entertaining as the company.

The other lady was an only child, an unmarried world traveler. When she found out that one of her favorite tour friends just so happened to be my single Aunt, she decided to "adopt" me. Over our years of friendship we visited many high-end, well regarded restaurants. An authentic French prix-fix restaurant in Vermilion (still there, under a new owner, with a bit of a different flair), an old prohibition speak-eat that was converted to an upscale food selection, and many diverse and excellent offerings of nationality foods. This, mind you, was in the 1970s. Greater Cleveland is now getting the love it deserves for excellent food no one but the locals knew about.

Don't even get me started on Chicago. Never lived there, visited it only once, but it has had a reputation for being a foodie haunt for decades.

Whenif we ever get back to OH, you and Kayelle must put a visit to northeast Ohio on your calendar. Once I reacquaint myself with the lay of the land and have a chance to explore some of the new offerings, I would love to take you on an eating tour so you could eat your words. Literally. :mrgreen: :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom