Did I contaminate my chicken??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

geo

Assistant Cook
I wanted to make shredded chicken in the slow cooker. I put 6 raw frozen chicken breasts in my crockpot. I usually add water in the beginning to ensure the chicken stays juicy. I had just gotten done boiling water for tea and added two cups of boiling water over the frozen chicken without thinking.

Is the chicken now contaminated because I added boiled water over it? I read this can cause the outside to heat up before the inside and cause bacteria to multiply.

It's now been fully cooked on low for 8 hours, but I'm worried that I might get sick eating it.

Last edited:
I don't think so, you should be fine. The chicken was already cooked after 8 hours in the CP, and the boiled water was, well, boiled.

BTW, welcome to DC!

Last edited:
It was raw frozen chicken. I edited my first post for clarity.

Thanks for the warm welcome!!! :)

Last edited:
If there was any dangerous bacteria on the chicken, the boiling water would have killed them all instantly. The slow cooker with be heating up and would continue to cook the chicken through. I see absolutely no issues with what you did.

Thanks so much for your advice! I'm happy to know I can eat my chicken without worry!

Not to worry. Your chicken is germ free.

Welcome to DC. As you can see We do have an answer for a problem. And if not right at hand, then we find out for you. Lots of fun here, so please stick around. :angel:

Reactions: geo
Did you know that you don't have to add any liquid when you use the slow cooker? The fat and water content (especially if the meat is placed in the slow cooker frozen) will make enough liquid. Slow cooking without liquid is the only way I use it for meat. It comes out really flavorful and tender.

But if you really feel the need to add liquid, no more than half a cup to cover the bottom. You will be surprised when it is done, lots of liquid.

Of course, this doesn't apply when making soup.

Last edited:
My mom and grandma (and me) always thawed chicken out by leaving it on the counter for several hours. Years later, I read something similar where this can be bad and cause bacteria, so I got nervous and stopped doing it for some time. Didn't take long before I was back to doing the same thing and I still do the same thing even today. None of us has ever gotten sick that I know of.

Is the bacteria thing an old wives' tale, or is there some truth to it?

My mom and grandma (and me) always thawed chicken out by leaving it on the counter for several hours. Years later, I read something similar where this can be bad and cause bacteria, so I got nervous and stopped doing it for some time. Didn't take long before I was back to doing the same thing and I still do the same thing even today. None of us has ever gotten sick that I know of.

Next time soak you frozen meat in cold water to hurry up the thawing process. Change the water two or three times. And as Andy stated, "Yes, the bacteria is very real."

But don't fret. We all screw up at sometime. But we have DC to let us know what is right. :angel:

Did you know that you don't have to add any liquid when you use the slow cooker? The fat and water content (especially if the meat is placed in the slow cooker frozen) will make enough liquid. Slow cooking without liquid is the only way I use it for meat. It comes out really flavorful and tender.

But if you really feel the need to add liquid, no more than half a cup to cover the bottom. You will be surprised when it is done, lots of liquid.

Of course, this doesn't apply when making soup.

I agree and would not add any liquid to the slow cooker. I also would never put frozen raw chicken in there to start with.
I am also a believer in browning meats before putting them into a slow cooker.
If I were to add anything, it would be stock, beer or wine in most cases.

I still thaw chicken (and other meats) on the counter. I even give it a head start by using the defrost function in the microwave.
I do not allow it to sit out until its fully thawed. When its close, into the fridge it goes.

Thawing poultry is always a bit of a guessing game for me. For instance, they say to thaw a turkey for 3 days in the refrigerator, yet when I try that, it's still hard as a rock after 3 days. I have never found any choice but to alternate countertop and fridge to get it thawed in 3 days.

A whole chicken is a little bit easier, but it still takes at least a couple of days in the fridge, while a head start on the counter for 3 or 4 hours then back in the fridge gets the job done in one day. Even then, when I extract the giblets from the cavity, they are still half frozen with ice and frost clinging to them.

Chicken parts I will usually put in a ziplock bag and then into lukewarm water. The water turns cold quickly but at least cuts through the frost.

Like Iamcliff above, nobody has ever gotten sick from any poultry I've cooked, so it can't be all that wrong.

I can't imagine putting frozen meat or poultry in the slow cooker. People often forget that even though heat over 140 kills bacteria, it doesn't destroy the toxins that bacteria create as a side effect of reproduction.

Just because you haven't died doesn't mean you haven't had food poisoning. There's no such thing as the 24-hour flu. Symptoms often don't develop for a few days after exposure and then people don't connect the symptoms to something they ate.

I thaw frozen chicken parts in the microwave and whole chicken in the fridge. I have a fairly new microwave that does a good job of thawing.

Last edited:
I really try to remember to take something out of the freezer the night before. It goes on a plate at the bottom of the fridge. Then when I get up it comes out with the plate and sits on the counter until thawed. Back into the fridge until I am ready to cook it. :angel:

I've never started cooking with frozen meats of any kind. For one thing, it makes it difficult to cook it evenly - much harder to control the doneness.

While we are on the topic, it is also recommended that you remove any leftovers from the crock and put them in another shallow dish before your put them in the refrigerator. The warm crock takes too long to cool down, keeping food in the danger zone (40 F to 140 F).

While we are on the topic, it is also recommended that you remove any leftovers from the crock and put them in another shallow dish before your put them in the refrigerator. The warm crock takes too long to cool down, keeping food in the danger zone (40 F to 140 F).

Good point.

Also crock pots destroy chicken breasts by overcooking them to death...

I can't imagine putting frozen meat or poultry in the slow cooker. People often forget that even though heat over 140 kills bacteria, it doesn't destroy the toxins that bacteria create as a side effect of reproduction.

Just because you haven't died doesn't mean you haven't had food poisoning. There's no such thing as the 24-hour flu. Symptoms often don't develop for a few days after exposure and then people don't connect the symptoms to something they ate.

I thaw frozen chicken parts in the microwave and whole chicken in the fridge. I have a fairly new microwave that does a good job of thawing.

Good point on the "24 hour flu".
Seems theres always someone with this dreaded disease each season.
Just the use of the word flu when no blood test were taken and blood tested is just wrong.
I hear so many exclaim they have or had the flu, yet when i ask how the testing went and how the reporting to the CDC went, they have no idea as to what I mean.
Real flu is very serious and can only be diagnosed with a blood test. A positive flu test is then reported to the CDC isn't it?
I am asking.

BTW, I have had whats called the "blue can flu". This infirmity is achieved by ingestion of many alcoholic drinks when you damn well know to stop!

Back
Top Bottom