"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Food and Kitchen Safety

Old 07-07-2008, 12:49 PM   #31
Assistant Cook

I have also steered away from the artificial sweetener/diet soda craze. In fact, I can count on one hand how many times in a month I drink soda. In all, soda is just not good for you. It's basically just high fructose corn syrup diluted a bit in fizzy water. At least, that's my horrific impression of it!
Anyway, the point is, it's best not to rely on anything that is artificially sweetened. And instead of adding sugar, try honey instead to your drinks like tea and lemonade!

Old 07-07-2008, 06:20 PM   #32
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiduc View Post

As for making coffee with diet soda - NO, NO,NO,NO!

Coffee, freshly ground and with the very lightest pinch of salt (to bring out the flavour) should be made with boiled (still)water and not carbonated in any form or shape! The chemicals employed in a making a diet soda and listed on the bottle should advise one not to use a diet soda to make a decent pot of coffee!
This thread just popped up and I missed this the first time around.

First: Who is making coffee with diet soda (other thank Coke)?? Yick that doesn't even sound good, and I don't think I will be wanting to try that flavor of Coke anytime soon. Or where you referring to the use of artificial sweeteners to sweeten the coffee?

Second: The pinch of salt, that is interesting. How much do you add to a pot, and when? Just a pinch after it is done brewing?

Thanks!

Old 07-07-2008, 07:19 PM   #33
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick2272 View Post
This thread just popped up and I missed this the first time around.

First: Who is making coffee with diet soda (other thank Coke)?? Yick that doesn't even sound good, and I don't think I will be wanting to try that flavor of Coke anytime soon. Or where you referring to the use of artificial sweeteners to sweeten the coffee?

Second: The pinch of salt, that is interesting. How much do you add to a pot, and when? Just a pinch after it is done brewing?

Thanks!
Hi Maverick,
I usually use a cafetiere or stove-top Italian coffe pot - you know the type that has 3 part - base in which you put water, middle bit which holds the coffee and sit in and on top of the base and top which screws on to the base. the water boils, is force through the coffee and comes out to sit in the top part of the machine - can`t remember for the life of me what its proper name is!

Any way, when you place the ground coffee in the cafetiere/pot add a "mean" (of finger and thumb) pinch of salt before adding water and it is literally a pinch! I also have a Delonghi machine which makes 1 or 2 cups of espresso coffee at a time and I add just a few grains of salt to the coffee before placing the coffee into the machine. It is like grating freshly ground black pepper onto sliced strawberries or melon to bring out the flavour!

It`s a bit like another tip I was once given which is to add a pinch (a mean pinch) of coffee to a chocolate item to bring out the flavour of chocolate. Again, it has to be a very "mean" pinch otherwise you turn the flavour into mocha which defeats the point. However, this really works, especially when making chocolate ice cream.

All the best,
Archiduc
Old 07-07-2008, 07:22 PM   #34
Master Chef

Very cool, thanks for the tip!