Diet Soda

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

attie

Sous Chef
Is it safe to drink in quantities?, I'm not so sure now. I drink only diet soda and use equal in my coffee and find that if I drink to much, especially orange flavour, I suffer from severe joint pain and have to lay off it for a time. I also suffer from Tinnitus but that has been blamed on loud machinery, now, I'm having a re-think.

This article is worth a read, true or false, I don't know.

http://www.besthealth.com.au/aspartame.htm

For a question this serious you should really ask your doctor. NOTHING in excessive amounts is good for us - even the "good stuff".

This whole topic is nothing new - it's been an "issue" for years.

This article is worth a read, true or false, I don't know.

http://www.besthealth.com.au/aspartame.htm

I would try to find information from a government or university source - a place that actually does research and isn't trying to sell you a product. HTH.

Urban Legends

I agree w/ everyone here that too much of anything is bad. And if you have concerns see your doctor.

On another front, you should check out Urban Legends Reference Pages to check out all the info on Aspartame or other artificial sweeteners. This is the urban legend website who's function is to check out and validate/refute the manias sent out on email and other communication with the intent to scare us to death. :ermm:

I would guess that to those who invent these hoaxes/stories the furor created gives them endless pleasure & satisfaction. Still, many others propagate the legends by buying in to them and passing them on. ;)

I would guess that to those who invent these hoaxes/stories the furor created gives them endless pleasure & satisfaction. Still, many others propagate the legends by buying in to them and passing them on.

How very true, thanks for your replies people

aspartame, a man-made sweetener = bad

seriously

you're better off with the regular sugar filled soda, which is not good for you but it's better than diet soda

stick with water

Or go with something made with cane sugar instead of corn syrup, I find it is not as 'sickly' sweet as the corn syrup products and doesn't leave me craving more and more.
DW has noticed that with Aspartame (she loves Diet Coke) it has a tendency to act as a diuretic as well as make her hungrier.

Soda

I have read many articles from excellent source and Soda or Diet Soda is
not a healthy drink.

Crystal "On the Go"...open and drop into water and enjoy. Our Doctor recommened and it is delicious. Enjoy Aria

Interesting. I only drink about 3 diet sodas per week and use about a single packet of powdered sweetener a week during the cold weather months. I find it curious that folks drink so many sodas. I grew up before sodas were the drink to satisfy our thirsts/hunger.

I am not a huge soda fan, but I do have a weakness for Root Beers and Cream Sodas as well as some of the new micro brands flavors like orange creme or strawberry creme. Teas on the other hand, I could go thru a gallon a day especially Lipton Green Tea with Citrus!!

DW has maybe two a week herself, and most times prefers ice water. Many times when we have eaten out she has ordered water instead of another beverage. She also likes tea, mainly Peach Tea.
Now coffee, thats a different story as its her Achilles heel!

The most significant thing about this ariticle, to me, is in the prelude to this article that says:

The authorship and validity of this article is in dispute

There are many causes of tinnitus which have nothing to do with diet sodas or loud noises.

Attie - if you suffer from severe joint pain and it goes away if you lay off diet sodas/artificial sweetners for a while ... you might want to lay off, or seriously reduce, your consumption of diet sodas/artificial sweetners.

I've also heard soda is nasty for your bones - something to the extent of depleting calcium - ? Like others, I suggest to friends to just say NO to the stuff! Moderation is the key!! (And then I suggest they order a lovely ristretto shot latte from my espresso bar. hee hee!)

:ROFLMAO:
Or go with something made with cane sugar instead of corn syrup, I find it is not as 'sickly' sweet as the corn syrup products and doesn't leave me craving more and more.
DW has noticed that with Aspartame (she loves Diet Coke) it has a tendency to act as a diuretic as well as make her hungrier.

it is more likely it is the caffene or the citric acid.

babe

only way i can have any soda is to drink diet. it might be interesting to know that dr. suggest reg. soda to raise blood sugar quickly, it has that much sugar in it.

b

Last edited:
She doesn't have the same reaction to products with only caffeine or only citric acid in them, just products that also have aspartame in them. She mentioned it to her Dr. last check-up, and she said it was not that uncommon a reaction, and she tells patients they are better off staying away from artificial sweeteners and just practicing moderation.
Of course, that advice changes for diabetics and others on special diets or with special restrictions.

I don't like the flavours of the artificially sweetened drinks, esp the after flavour. They also taste sweeter to me that the "straight" version. I dilute my soft drinks and fruit juices with soda water, so lessening the amount of sugar intake per glass.

Consider "fizzy water" mixed with something you like. We crank out a good share of "Italian sodas" this time of year at the espresso bar. I like to drink carbonated water mixed with a fruit smoothie base (is it OK to use brand names here? sorry if not...) like Jet Tea mix. It's real sugary, but at least it's also made with a fair share of real fruit puree. Mango smoothie mix in fizzy water is really good! Again though - moderation!

Insects don't bother with artificially sweetened drinks so neither will I.

WOW! Now - if that is true ... no more bug repellent sprays! Just need a spritzer bottle from the 99-cent store and a bottle of Diet Pepsi! Finally, a legitimate reason for the existance of Diet Pepsi. :LOL:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom