"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Food and Kitchen Safety

Old 09-17-2015, 07:05 AM   #31
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcald2000 View Post
(2 of 2) I have a stainless steel 12" frying pan, which has something baked into it. I'm guessing that it's baked on bacon grease. I tried soaking it for 90 minutes attempting to use a sponge and detergent, but no success. I was considering using steel wool (which I don't currently have) or using ajax with bleach. If I use the Ajax, is that safe to use since, since I will obviously be cooking food on the surface of the pan?

Haven't tried it yet but just recently saw where supposedly you can use a dryer sheet to get off messes like that. Fill pan with hot soapy water, drop in a dryer sheet and let it soak for at least an hour, preferably overnight (which I'd do in your case). Per the article I read, you should just be able to wipe off a good portion of the gunk (if not all). If some of it comes off but not all, just repeat. The dryer sheet supposedly softens the gunk plus breaks the molecular bond of the gunk to the pan.

We don't normally use dryer sheets (never will after I saw the chemical residue/build-up on the lint trap that will actually hold water if you don't clean it (brush, soap and water) from time to time) but it's worth buying some to see if it actually works. We just keep forgetting to put them on the grocery list so that we can try, not that we have too many messes where it would of use but it's a lot better than putting out all that elbow grease when we do if it actually works.

Just had a lightbulb moment and looked it up, Duh, supposedly liquid fabric softener works the same way. I do use that so will give it a try next time we have a nasty pan.

Old 09-17-2015, 08:01 AM   #32
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by medtran49 View Post
Haven't tried it yet but just recently saw where supposedly you can use a dryer sheet to get off messes like that. Fill pan with hot soapy water, drop in a dryer sheet and let it soak for at least an hour, preferably overnight (which I'd do in your case). Per the article I read, you should just be able to wipe off a good portion of the gunk (if not all). If some of it comes off but not all, just repeat. The dryer sheet supposedly softens the gunk plus breaks the molecular bond of the gunk to the pan.

We don't normally use dryer sheets (never will after I saw the chemical residue/build-up on the lint trap that will actually hold water if you don't clean it (brush, soap and water) from time to time) but it's worth buying some to see if it actually works. We just keep forgetting to put them on the grocery list so that we can try, not that we have too many messes where it would of use but it's a lot better than putting out all that elbow grease when we do if it actually works.

Just had a lightbulb moment and looked it up, Duh, supposedly liquid fabric softener works the same way. I do use that so will give it a try next time we have a nasty pan.
Excellent advice medtran. Even just filling the pan with water and dish detergent will loosen most of the stuff. When the water starts to boil, scrape the bottom. Use a wooden spoon if you have one. If not any spoon will do. All that is, is fond. The stuff that makes great gravy. But you don't want this water and fond.

Old 09-17-2015, 08:21 AM   #33
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoodieFanatic View Post
Thank you!
You're welcome.
Old 09-17-2015, 09:37 AM   #34
Senior Cook

The only thing I'd add to what others have offered is to use 1/4t of Mercurochrome or Iodine to the water.
Google the reasons.
Old 09-17-2015, 10:35 AM   #35
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by CStanford View Post
This covers just about all the methods I've ever heard of:

The 10 Best Ways To Clean Burnt On Food From Your Pots and Pans - One Good Thing by Jillee

She's right about the Coke, too.
Nice list.

I wish there had been warnings. You don't want to breath vinegar fumes. You don't want to do that dishwasher detergent trick on aluminium.
Old 09-17-2015, 10:46 AM   #36
Cook

Yep.

I think if I burned something hard and fast onto a bare aluminum pan I'd just get rid of it. These things are available by the half dozen from restaurant supply houses for not a whole lot of money, not much extra for just a single.

They just aren't worth kicking a whole lot of dust up over, you know? Pure commodity items.
Old 09-17-2015, 11:51 AM   #37
Senior Cook

If I have stuff sticking to a pan it's my foolproof method of removing gunk. Add vermouth to the pan, just enough to get all the gunk wet. Turn the heat on low and start stirring. When it starts to come off start scrapping with a wooden spoon. Pretty much a deglazing method that works on stuck-on stuff. Wash as normal.
Old 09-17-2015, 12:03 PM   #38
Cook

Worth remembering for sure.

IMO, one certainly wants to disturb the surface of a plain aluminum pan as little as possible.
Old 09-17-2015, 12:31 PM   #39
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoodieFanatic View Post
If I have stuff sticking to a pan it's my foolproof method of removing gunk. Add vermouth to the pan, just enough to get all the gunk wet. Turn the heat on low and start stirring. When it starts to come off start scrapping with a wooden spoon. Pretty much a deglazing method that works on stuck-on stuff. Wash as normal.
Use in a sauce then? LOL
Old 09-17-2015, 03:25 PM   #40
Senior Cook

Depending on what was in the pan, you could! LOL