Do cooking shows drive anyone else crazy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crankin

Senior Cook
Okay, firstly I'll say that I love watching food shows... but there is one thing that irritates me so much - the apparent lack of food safety! Does anyone else not get frustrated when they handle raw meats/egg/etc. and then either do not wash their hands or give them the most brief "rinse" which could not possibly be of any benefit? For a while I was thinking, maybe they just don't bother because no ones eats the food. But sometimes they do eat the food they prepare, and I just don't get it. Are they not concerned about food poisoning when they do that? Or am I just totally missing something? I mean sometimes they'll literally handle raw meat and then touch all their other utensils, salt, pepper, fridge door, anything... it makes no sense to me since they are supposed to be advising novice home cooks how to work in the kitchen.

Anyway, I still enjoy the shows for entertainment, but I cannot get past that point.

Many cooking shows do not demonstrate proper food handling procedures. That said, know that for every show, several versions of every recipe are prepared in the kitchens away from the cameras. During commercial breaks people scurry around clearing the kitchen set of what the TV chef did and replacing it with the completed dishes prepared in the off camera kitchens. Let's assume the staff in those kitchens follow proper procedures.

The issue of the chef's sending the wrong message to the audience is another topic.

During the hectic challenges when bodily fluids drip off the cooks' faces in the food....ewww....yuck.

During the hectic challenges when bodily fluids drip off the cooks' faces in the food....ewww....yuck.

Oh yeah, that is yicky!

My co-worker brought me back a sub sandwich from a shop and when she delivered it she said "We got a little extra salt on the sandwich." She told me that the guy making it was pouring the sweat. She wondered why I wouldn't eat it.... :ermm:

Same here Harry...I refuse to watch Gordon Ramsey in anything either...that guy seriously has nothing going for him!

Same here Harry...I refuse to watch Gordon Ramsey in anything either...that guy seriously has nothing going for him!
that's what i don't understand k.apart from him being a nutter(ok a nutter who can cook) his businesses are collapsing over here.so why would anyone with a failing restaurant look for advice on how to save it from someone who can't run his own.let's all take our cars to a mechanic who can't fix his own car:wacko:!!

Wow, I didn't know his businesses were collapsing...good!

So what is he doing, or not doing to have bought all this on Harry?

he's resurrected his career here in the u.s.a. on television.

maybe the reason his restaurants are failing is because he's focusing on his television career.

Wow, I didn't know his businesses were collapsing...good!

So what is he doing, or not doing to have bought all this on Harry?
to be fair,mainly the economy over here.but a lot of his old brigade...marcus wareing & angela hartnett to name but two have left him to go their own ways.which won't have helped.i also think that michelin are handing out stars like sweeties so everyone seems to have a star these days....that's competition.that's one of the reasons i like marco pierre white...he handed his back because"he didn't like being judged by people with less ability than him" which,IMHO,sums up michelin.incidently marcopw trained ramsay & he doesn't like him either!!.

Last edited:
he's resurrected his career here in the u.s.a. on television.

maybe the reason his restaurants are failing is because he's focusing on his television career.
nah,it's the other way round tom he needs tv to earn & he went to the us because his ratings were down over here.
he was interviewed in the observer or sunday times recently.
he's in the doodoo over here.which is very very sad,i don't take pleasure in anyone who has a go failing.you have to try in order to fail.the business i was a partner in went under in 1995 so i can empathise with the guy.he's a great talent IMHO but he's lost his way(again IMHO) & i don't like him now

Last edited:
I am surprised he is even doing remotely well in the US :rolleyes:
i think the answer there kylie is:
a) as i said,he has a great talent as a chef....can't knock that
b) he is relatively new to the usa and anything new in any country usually has a draw
c) the us & uk do,imo,have "a special relationship" so he may be popular in part,for that reason as well but not sure on that.

All 3 very good reasons why there Harry!

I just cant get over the fact the he thinks he is it and a bit and how he treats people and knows he will get away with it :mad:

It is annoying too how some people actually enjoy watching him carry on like he does...it just does my head in :rolleyes:

he has a carefully tuned mixed image here. some shows he's an ass, some shows he a gruff benefactor, some he's a light hearted food expert.

he has good p.r. people, apparently.

it must be part of human nature, but people need to remember that what you see on tv isn't real. it just looks that way.

it entertains you in order to make you buy stuff.

i should know. my job for the past 25 years has been to make technically sure you do both.

it must be part of human nature, but people need to remember that what you see on tv isn't real. it just looks that way.

it entertains you in order to make you buy stuff.

i should know. my job for the past 25 years has been to make technically sure you do both.
ok,i get the picture........
that reminds me tom,the formula one gp is coming to the states next year i think.i may be wrong but i'm sure i saw it is going to be a "street circuit" á lá monaco,somewhere in your neck of the woods.if so will you be working on it? if so i'm coming over to stay with you.....what? no,don't resign!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom