Do I need covered ice cube trays in a frost-free freezer ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MostlyWater

Sous Chef
Yes, that's right. I might upgrade to a frost free freezer, no icemaker, and I will have to buy old fashioned ice cube trays.

Should I spring for the covered ones? Think it will make a difference, except in the cost ?

thanks

Why am I upgrading our freezer? Or why should the ice cube trays be covered ?

I dont think covers are necessary. I have used uncovered ones for years and my cubes come out great. I dont think my cubes absorb any freezer odors, I mean do freezers really have wierd odors?
Then again i have never tasted an ice cube by itself so maybe they do ;) But they dont make my water taste off.

you can use any ice cube try you'd like.

the water freezes quickly enough that it won't be evaporated by the special frost free feature of the unit.

well, so long as you use up the cubes. if you leave the tray in there for months, with average use (opening and closing the door), the cubes will eventually shrink.

my icemaker ice cubes sit in their open bin no problem, no weird flavors. With that said, everything in my fridge and freezer gets sealed nice and tight, and I keep it clean, so there aren't any weird odors.

I only got one uncovered ice tray with this refrigerator. I make a couple of trays and transfer the cubes to a gallon size zip bag that I can cram in anywhere, I don't keep the tray in the freezer otherwise.

Why cover them. I confess to not knowing that ice cube trays HAD covers!

I have two uncovered trays and a rectangular plastic box to keep the cubes in. Always plenty of ice.

There is no need to spend money on fancy ice cube trays. Just get regular ice cube trays, fill them with water, and put them in the freezer. If the cubes start shrinking, put your ice cube trays in a plastic bag with a twist tie.

Last edited:
I don't know if you "need" them BUT I love mine! I can stack them easily without them tipping over and I put an ice cube bin on top (or anything I may want to chill fast).

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom