Originally Posted by thymeless
It's not just about botulism. There's plenty of other bacteria that will make you sick.
Not if they aren't alive. Bacteria can't live in an oven at 350-400 degrees. The only pathogenic spore I know of that can survive that type of environment is the one that causes botulism and that needs an anaerobic condition to germinate.
The two hour rule that may apply to cooked, leftover foods is based on the premise that when the food is removed from the oven(stove, Grill), and you serve it, you are potentially contaminating it from the serving utensils, your skin as you reach over it, cross-contamination, and other factors in the environment like fans, air conditioners, open windows, or you or other people in the room stirring up dust or coughing.
None of those factors apply to an untouched potato in a hot oven. Pathogenic bacteria don't just appear on food, they have to be introduced.