Do you let your children help out?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My 7 year old son has been helping in the kitchen for years. He can crack eggs perfectly, and enjoying helping make pancakes and brownies. Kids can do MUCH more than we give them credit for. I know my son could probably do more than I let him. Just have to be willing to clean up some messes! My 2 year old daughter is following right in big brother's footsteps.

Always a mess but at 19months old and that cute little face you just cant turn her down. My daughter asks me to pull the chair to the counter so that she can help "mix it mix it". At a year we bought her a play kitchen and that's what its all about feeding the babies. Girl spends more time working than I do.

My 18 year old doesn't have a job and now he is home all day done with HS and last night I came home from work, and like everyday, he'd done the dishes, made sure the lights were off if not needed, had his laundry done, is up during the day, and was boiling water.
I had jokingly said a few months ago, "I want dinner on the table when I get home" and he's taken it to heart. (it's sweet)
I thought, he must be either giving birth (well he was boiling water) or cooking something. So, he asks me if he can make beef stroganoff over potatoes? I said sure, so he boiled potatoes and made beef stroganoff, he put green beans in it too (which is different, but good). It was delish. Then he put it away after dinner and packed MY LUNCH with some, and today he has the dishes done again.
I taught all three boys to take care of themselves and to cook, but, this is taking the cake. He's a good wife. :LOL::LOL::LOL:
He writes the grocery list now, it's ongoing, shops with me and shops hard to save money.
He did so good at searing meat, good at roux and how to use it, made scallopped potatoes and ham the other day, and I came home the day before yesterday and he'd made lemon bars.
Him finding a job shouldn't be so hard and he's SMART like ACT score of 32/36 in the top 1%, and 4 years of CAD drawing and 4 years of programming, and good attendance. I'm waiting for him to find his niche--he wants to be an engineer and needs a job to pay for insurance for driving and tuition and books.
Cooking is a wonderful skill too, I'm so proud of him for continuing his work in this area, even if it only gets him in the door of a 'job'. thanks for letting me share. Bliss

Yeah it is very nice practice for the kids , Im soi glad that my parent told me that before . it really help when they get older and separated .

To me, that's a parents job, to teach skills, and to guide children with love, letting them progress at their own level, and trying to encourage without pressuring. I have four children, and they learned at different speeds. They also each had their own strengths and weaknesses. The trick is to recognize those and to help them overcome the weaknesses while developing their strengths. And sometimes, you get it right, and sometimes it brings a few tears and some frustration, to both child and parent. But if you try, and honestly make an effort to understand each child, the rewards are beyond measure. Plus, you gain a trust, and a bond with your children that can't be shaken. And let me tell you from personal experience, there is nothing more fulfilling in life than to see your children grow to be responsible, happy, adults who love you and are friends with you. I have that, and wouldn't trade it for anything. I know too many parents who are estranged from their children, and generally it's because they put too much time into their careers, or their own personal life, and not enough time into loving their families. To me, there is nothing more heart wrenching. You see that lien at the bottom of my posts? That's my creed. It's what I live my life by. Put your family first and it will come back to you a hundredfold, and that includes not only your children, but your husband or wife too.

Seeeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North ...

GotN, hope you don't mind, but i thought this bears being said again. and again, etc.

the kitchen is not the only place, but also shopping, cleaning, ... all the life skills. children should be in the picture in a positive way as early as possible. with 2-way, open communication as with peers. let them share the work as well as the rewards. i think doing everything for your kids is a real disservice.

back to the topic, my own daughter started with home-made pancakes when she was 3 1/2. after doing them together a few times, we were soon enjoying pancakes most sundays. i think pizza dough was next. it's also a great way to introduce fractions. we also wrote down the recipes on index cards and kept them in a index card file holder. if we weren't impressed with a recipe, we would change it up the next one or two times, and then write it down. now she's in highschool and has a nice collection of recipes. she's obviously less interested in cooking for the fun of it unless it's cookies or something for her friends, but we still get pancakes 3 or 4 times a year. ;)

My son will be 3 in July and I have been letting help me for about 4 months now. HE LOVES it more then anything. He has his own stool which I get out and place on the end of the counter. I sit the bowl in front of him and help him pour things into like flour, sugar, etc. I also may give him something like herbs and a butter knife to cut up just for fun or an egg and a spoon. It makes him happy and of course I am right there watching the entire time. Its great and we love it.

I thank my mom for cooking with us and teaching us the methods and family recipes and expecting us to carry on when she was away or called to work late etc. While I don't have children, I am a teacher, and I have put together a little book of methods and recipes for any of my students who are interested. I hold after school sessions for any who want to come.

My kids are well grown and on their own now, but the older boy showed an interest in cooking at an early age. He's a grown man now, and quite a good, and inventive cook. One of my greatest pleasures is a phone call from him wanting to bounce some cooking ideas around with me. I think the bond you can make in the kitchen with your kids, is one of the best investments you'll ever make!!
Sitting here smiling with the great memories.

I'm still single so I don't have a kid to worry when cooking. :) But I got a small brother which has no interest in cooking. So I think that's an advantage.. :D He just love to eat.

Back
Top Bottom