Do you let your children help out?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chelli

Assistant Cook
This was an interesting topic brought up in one of my group conversations, so i was wondering how other parents approach it. How early do you let you kids help out in the kitchen and what do you let them do? I personally think it is good practice, but I am clueless on how to execute it in a responsible safe way. Look forward to your opinions!

as soon as they demonstrate an interest to help.

the kitchen can be a dangerous place for small children - they don't know about "some things" so the responsible part is really simple:

don't take your eyes off the little tykes when there is anything sharp or hot going on!

Attachments

• baker.JPG
    baker.JPG
    239 KB · Views: 207
stirring, mixing, getting things (pots and pans), are a few activities that young children can help with. As they get older, they can measure and handle a few more tools, like grating and peeling.
Of course, helping with preparing a meal may go a long ways towards getting them to help cleaning up.

as soon as they demonstrate an interest to help.

the kitchen can be a dangerous place for small children - they don't know about "some things" so the responsible part is really simple:

don't take your eyes off the little tykes when there is anything sharp or hot going on!

Lol... love the picture. Yeah, i think the cutting part is the most dodgy... but you're right, with the right supervision, it can work.

I started when I was about 5 or so. I think my kids were 3-4ish. Standing on a chair at the counter stirring and measuring and scooping out dough for cookies.

Often I would give the kids playdough I'd made to play with while I made other cookies. Then as they decided it was cool to help they cut out cookies of their own etc.

No knives til they were about 9. And mine still don't much care for putting things in the oven but they are quite comfy with the stove.

My daughter started at about 2-3. She actually just helped me make rootbeer a few minutes ago. She was in charge of stirring and she also help the funnel as we poured the mixture.

She has made matzoh balls, kneaded bread, cracked eggs, and basically done anything that does not require sharp or hot things. The best is when she can use her hands.

I started teaching Cade when he discovered chocolate chip cookies at about 2. At first I'd measure, hand him the spoon or cup and he would put it in the bowl. At 3 he learned to use the mixer and keep fongers out of the way, he alfo knew where the utinsels we needed were. Several weeks agao just before his 9th birthday he made the cookies all by himself. He asked me for help with the oven as he hates the heat it throws out.but he did it all and alone, asking only 2 questions in all. He spilled nother, he also loeaded the dish washer and started it going. He now wants me to show im how to do pizza dough and bread.Whooo Hoo what a boy.
kadesma:)

my son just turned 2 and he loves to play in the kitchen with pots , utensils, and the toaster oven(we leave it unplugged). The two dishes he love to pretend to make in soup and hot dogs. I don't let him help with the cooking yet but I will as soon as possible. I started making things like pasta and eggs by the time I was like 7. I learned to use a knife also around the same time.

my son just turned 2 and he loves to play in the kitchen with pots , utensils, and the toaster oven(we leave it unplugged). The two dishes he love to pretend to make in soup and hot dogs. I don't let him help with the cooking yet but I will as soon as possible. I started making things like pasta and eggs by the time I was like 7. I learned to use a knife also around the same time.

thats funny, reminds me of kiddy cooking sets. But it looks promising for your son! At least you know he is interested.

I cook with my grandchildren and have since they were toddlers. Like a lot of you, it started with just dumping ingredients in a bowl and working up to actually doing a lot of the prep. and some of the cooking. We have made memories doing this and I know my kiddos will think of me long after I'm gone when they prepare some of our special dishes.

I began at age six under my mother's supervision while I was in Scouts and earned a merit badge. My kids also began about that age, and so did my grandsons. I began with teaching them to cook the breakfast menu they liked the most. This was great motivation for them... fixing food that THEY wanted! We practiced kitchen basics and cleaning up afterward. Working together and making it fun, they learned very quickly, and in no time they were baking and preparing dinner meals with only an oversite of supervision. It was a wonderful time!

my daughter now 30 was always in the kitchen till she got to teenyears and then mostly interested in the finish product. Her sons (9yrs -6 and 2yr old) however love to be in grama's kitchen. They have their own aprons, cookbook which when we try something we make a copy for their cookbook and then when they come down they get their cook book out. Even the 2 yrs old get involved. First lesson Patiences. Its going to be messing and product may not come out looking the greatest. But thats not important. I think it is great, the oldest now 9 learned fractions measuring out items. I purchased some sturdy plastic knives so they could learn knife skills. Cutting up minor things, we are still working on that. He's a lefty grama a righty and sometimes it make it lil tough. We have alot of fun in the kitchen, we made ice cream, what a riot that night, lil one 2yrs sat on the table watching it churn and goin mmmm mmmm for 20 min let me just say, it never got to the bowl the 3 of them had spoons in hand the minute the machine stopped, they dug in and had a ball.
so whatever the age if they want to help let them. Let the feel they are helping and they are also learn. Also They love the clean up as long as it involves a sink of bubbles everything will get washed. Never a dull moment but lots of memories.

I started involving my three boys as soon as they could see over the counter even up on chairs, mixing, cracking eggs, cutting things up, measuring, finding and following recipes.
I remember one time, I was watching my friends three girls and my three boys, they assembled shishkabobs of meat, peppers, onions and pineapple for the grill, it was a great time.
The two oldest live together on their own and they requested my recipes so I wrote them a recipe book of our traditional home cooking recipes.
Once in a while they call to ask how I do something.
My youngest 18 spent much time in the kitchen most nights, because we cook almost everything from scratch. This week-end we made 5 gallons of saurkraut. We're going to make a few gallons of red kimchi yet this week.
When I got home from work, there were two loaves of sweet fruit nut breads he made--quick breads. (He'll make a good wife--just kidding.)
It's a family activity--cooking together--and it's part of being a family to make short work of our meals.
On week-ends lately, he's been making fried cubed potatoes, and eggs and some sausage or bacon. I am so glad to have kids that like to cook and can do it well.

family

Its good to let the kids help out especially in the kitchen...i remember my mom used to give ma a spoon and bowl so i could mix some ingredients she needs whenever she cooks..now I let my nieces and nephew take turns in mixing something whenever they come over...Also, by doing some kid-friendly recipes like pizza, sandwiches, cakes, ice cream they can help out in the preparation or decorating the food, :chef:

I definately agree - let them start participating as soon as they are ready.

Im a lot older than my younger siblings and had most of them in the kitchen helping me from like 3 or 4 onwards! Now the youngest of them is 5 and she is always helping me in th4e kitchen - she likes getting things for me and stirring etc the more I let her do the better she feels :)

I agree with you. My mother isn't much of a cook but my dad is. However he didn't like anyone stiring his broth (and the odd this is I am the same way now) but I used to watch him do his thing and I too like mixing bunch of stuff without any recipe...just making it up as I go along...

I'd say as soon as possible. I was three when I started out cutting out Christmas cookies, while standing on a stool. I've always loved cooking. My sister didn't come into the kitchen much at all as a child, and finally as a Sr. she loves cooking, but it took a long time.

I notice with my nephews and nieces that the ones who are encouraged early have all developed an interest in cooking.

I don't remember when I started handling knives, or the oven, but there are so many tasks children can do in the kitchen without getting close to knives or ovens.... peeling carrots, potatoes, etc. When I was little, there were many more scratch jobs (like shelling peas) than there are now. :rolleyes:

I never really helped in the kitchen as a child, my mother is incredibly fast and she cannot stand slowdowns.

My kids are not very eager to help, unless I’m making pancakes which they all love.

My kids always want to help but I am like pastaprincess' Dad, I have a hard time allowing people to "mess about" in my cooking. BUT, because I want to encourage their getting used to doing their own kitchen visiting, I have started laying things out for them to start dinner while I am commuting home. They enjoy it and get to say they helped. They have lost their childlike fear of the stove and have gained the adult respect it deserves.

I do so love to hear "I hate touching raw meat" as it makes me laugh.

The girls were always helping me, specially the youngest one, and I believe because of this they can cook a lot of things by themselves.

Back
Top Bottom