"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Food and Kitchen Safety

Old 03-01-2008, 06:03 PM   #1
Master Chef

Do you REALLY want that lemon wedge in your drink?

I saw a little thing on the news the other night about the health hazards of that simple lemon wedge hanging off the rim or your glass of iced tea, or in your water, a lime in your diet coke, etc .... It was one of those things that was so obvious you don't even think about it!

Anyway - here is the recap or the program and if you scroll down to the bottom of the page you can vide the video that was on the news program.

"You've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel lucky?'" - Dirty Harry

Old 03-01-2008, 06:06 PM   #2
Master Chef

interesting. I never used lemon wedges in any drink .

Old 03-01-2008, 06:39 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
I hate lemon in my water - I much prefer cucumber and mint, or orange, or lime. The cucumber and mint you just have to steep for a few days first.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 06:42 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
This begs the question, "What about the wedges of orange, melon slices, etc. at salad bars." They didn't cut and slice themselves.
Old 03-01-2008, 06:45 PM   #5
Master Chef

Give me yours, Michael, Ladycook, and kitchenelf----I will add some sugar free sugar and make a lemonade..........knock on wood-----never have gotten sick doing it-----it's not a thing that they do over here---probably for the best, anyhow.......
Old 03-01-2008, 06:45 PM   #6
Master Chef

I used to, until I saw that show.
Old 03-01-2008, 08:57 PM   #7
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie E View Post
This begs the question, "What about the wedges of orange, melon slices, etc. at salad bars." They didn't cut and slice themselves.
Ah - but those are sliced and diced in the kitchen ... each piece is not being handled by the waitstaff.

How about this scenario:

You go into a restaurant/diner/cafe and the waitress brings you a menu (that who knows how many other customers have handled). While you're making up your mind she goes over to another table, busses the dirty dishes and picks up her tips, goes up to the register to ring up a customer and handles money, comes back over to you and takes your order ... takes the menus, takes your order back to the kitchen, and pours your glass of tea and uses her fingers to pick up a wedge of lemon to drop in your glass, or place on the rim. Who knows how many times this cycle was repeated before the waitperson went to the restroom and washed their hands?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyCook61
interesting. I never used lemon wedges in any drink.
LOL - maybe adding a lime to a coke, or using lemon in iced tea is a Southern thing?
Old 03-01-2008, 09:04 PM   #8
Master Chef

[quote=Michael in FtW;559567]Ah - but those are sliced and diced in the kitchen ... each piece is not being handled by the waitstaff.

How about this scenario:

You go into a restaurant/diner/cafe and the waitress brings you a menu (that who knows how many other customers have handled). While you're making up your mind she goes over to another table, busses the dirty dishes and picks up her tips, goes up to the register to ring up a customer and handles money, comes back over to you and takes your order ... takes the menus, takes your order back to the kitchen, and pours your glass of tea and uses her fingers to pick up a wedge of lemon to drop in your glass, or place on the rim. Who knows how many times this cycle was repeated before the waitperson went to the restroom and washed their hands?

one of the reason I prefer not to eat out.
Old 03-01-2008, 09:20 PM   #9
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael in FtW View Post
...Who knows how many times this cycle was repeated before the waitperson went to the restroom and washed their hands?...

...or went to the restroom and didn;t wash their hands!!
Old 03-01-2008, 09:21 PM   #10
Senior Cook

Send a message via MSN to wysiwyg
Wow, Michael in FtW, thank you for the posting
I like lemon in my water, I guess I developed some resistance to bacteria LOL
Relative to finding fecal bacteria on them, is no surprise. According to my sister (Biochemical Dr.), that type of bacteria is so potent that if you put your wallet in your back pocket you have approx. a 50% change to carry the bacteria in your hands.