"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Food and Kitchen Safety

Old 04-03-2010, 06:30 PM   #11
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

There was a Mexican restaurant in Denver, CO, that looked like a garage sale was taking place when you walked in. However, the tables and kitchen were clean and the best food ever! It's just not worth the 20 hour drive to get their green chili.

Old 04-03-2010, 07:30 PM   #12
Master Chef

Site Moderator

I usually don't think about it unless I see something. Like the day the cashier at a fast food place took my order and money, made change, then went and started making food. ICK.. I was so glad she didn't make my order.

Old 04-03-2010, 07:38 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Lotta people do not realize how filthy money (currency) is.
Old 04-03-2010, 07:47 PM   #14
Certified Pretend Chef

I just asked SO this question. Here is her response.

"No. If I thought about it, I'd never eat out you know people drop stuff. You know people sneeze. You just can't think about it. That kind of stuff happens. You have to get over it."
Old 04-04-2010, 08:10 AM   #15
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by justplainbill View Post
Lotta people do not realize how filthy money (currency) is.
I remember from pizza-joint days in school, that you always had to wash your hands after touching anchovies or money.
Old 04-04-2010, 07:30 PM   #16
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollyanne View Post
I don't eat burgers anymore though. For those who like rare burgers then The Raleigh Times (downtown Raleigh), Abbey Road (Cary), and Ham's (Chapel Hill) are good choices in my area.
Rare burgers are not considered safe due to the potential contamination that occurs during the grinding process. If I wanted a burger that wasn't fully cooked, I would grind the meat myself as my first choice and get the meat from a deli/meat market I trust as a distant second choice.
Old 04-04-2010, 11:20 PM   #17
Assistant Cook

I was in the grocery store on Saturday and a customer picked up and squeezed every single lose bun in the bakery section, finally she took two and put them in her bag. It's not the kitchens you have to worry about, it is everything everywhere, thankfully nature has given us pretty good immune systems and if we do get ill we rarely die...
Old 04-05-2010, 07:52 AM   #18
Master Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mozart View Post
Rare burgers are not considered safe due to the potential contamination that occurs during the grinding process. If I wanted a burger that wasn't fully cooked, I would grind the meat myself as my first choice and get the meat from a deli/meat market I trust as a distant second choice.
Cheeseburger in Paradise grinds beef chuck on site and will cook your burger to order. They still give a warning on the menu about eating undercooked beef though.
Old 04-07-2010, 06:24 AM   #19
Master Chef

To me, eating out is to suspend disbelief. At home, and I cook for others often, I try to be as clean as I can reasonably be. That's how my mother taught me to be. However, when I'm in a restaurant or someone else's home I take a que sera, sera attitude. I will say I was having gastro-intestinal distress after eating salads at certain restaurants, and even though the incidents were isolated, I don't go back for more!
Old 04-07-2010, 10:43 AM   #20
Master Chef

you know ....eating out is a crap shoot....you're taking a risk anytime someone is left in charge of your dietary needs.....that set aside......the human body is also capable of taking care and subverting a lot of abuse.......if you eat something and it doesn't agree with you....you don't go back......if you go to a restaurant and see that the restroom facilities are gross you can be darn sure that the kitchen is probably worse.....sanitation supervisors are definitely here to enforce the rules and do a good job but they can't be everywhere at all times..harmful bacteria levels only need about 3 hours in some foods to do serious damage and probably less depending..so you're the one who has to use common sense......no one is forcing you to eat......I ate a hamburger in Cairo years ago.....saw that the center was a bit pinkish and still ate it anyway......stupid me.....of course I was running to the loo 20 times a day......what else did I expect.......just use your common sense.....if a place really gives you an upset whatever (and it does affect whatever) report them.....