Egg Recall

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This is one good reason why all British eggs are date stamped on the day of laying. Date stamping assures the buyer the eggs are totally fresh.

This is one good reason why all British eggs are date stamped on the day of laying. Date stamping assures the buyer the eggs are totally fresh.

Linux, this is not an issue of freshness. It's one of contamination. A contaminated egg is contaminated in the hen, it's not something that happens after laying with age.

My friend in the next town had some of the offending eggs in her refrigerator. She took a new prescription med before breakfast three days ago, and then scrambled eggs, not knowing. That afternoon she vomited, and thought it was the medication. She's fine now but Geeze, it's getting dangerous to eat most anything. I'm sure glad she wasn't a whole lot sicker!! GRRRRRRR

My friend in the next town had some of the offending eggs in her refrigerator. She took a new prescription med before breakfast three days ago, and then scrambled eggs, not knowing. That afternoon she vomited, and thought it was the medication. She's fine now but Geeze, it's getting dangerous to eat most anything. I'm sure glad she wasn't a whole lot sicker!! GRRRRRRR

It may have been her medication. Salmonella takes three days to incubate in your system and if the eggs were fully cooked as they would be in an omelet, they wouldn't make her sick.

It may have been her medication. Salmonella takes three days to incubate in your system and if the eggs were fully cooked as they would be in an omelet, they wouldn't make her sick.

Actually, for clarification, the typical Salmonella food poisoning shows up in 12-24 hours. While there are different strains and different conditions(for example the amount ingested) that will change that timing, 3 days I believe, would be the very outside range.

Actually, for clarification, the typical Salmonella food poisoning shows up in 12-24 hours. While there are different strains and different conditions(for example the amount ingested) that will change that timing, 3 days I believe, would be the very outside range.

I based my 3 day time period on the ABC medical expert's statement on Wednesday's Evening News.

Last edited:
At any rate, there sure have been a lot of people sick. I've been led to believe that one cause of salmonella is from raw eggs. It's really hard to believe that so many people ate raw eggs. I think there has to be much more to the story.

At any rate, there sure have been a lot of people sick. I've been led to believe that one cause of salmonella is from raw eggs. It's really hard to believe that so many people ate raw eggs. I think there has to be much more to the story.

The dangerous part of the egg is the yoke, as the white does not support multiplication of the bacteria well. The yoke, however, is the perfect media for bacteria to grow. Chickens that are grossly infected with salmonella, rarely may produce eggs that have the bacteria in the yoke. Aging eggs are more likely to have contaminated yokes.

Many folks, including me, like eggs with uncooked yokes.

The risk is generally low for salmonella from eggs prepared with uncooked yokes

If the risk was even moderate, the health departments in all jurisdictions would ban uncooked yokes in restaurants, or require that they use eggs pasteurized in the shell. To my knowledge, no health authority has required this.

Egg Safety Center

We actually live about ten minutes from Iowa. So we checked our eggs and we're fine. I laughed that we'd already eaten all but 3 eggs in the carton, so it was a little late to worry about it. Luckily neither of us have any immune issues.

I should learn not to believe everything I hear on TV. Further research confirms mozart's info.

Onset of symptoms generally occurs between 8 to 48 hours or 12 to 72 hours depending on your source and individual factors. This is right in line with mozart's statement of 12-24 hours.

Live and learn.

Before I was born, junior health minister Edwina Currie "drew attention to a problem with salmonella in eggs in 1988. Sales of eggs fell by 60% overnight and many egg producers went out of business. Since then, however, the industry has virtually eliminated salmonella in UK eggs through a £20 million investment in the British Lion salmonella vaccination and food safety programme. Reports this year by both the Food Standards Agency (FSA) and Health Protection Agency (HPA) have acknowledged the huge progress made by the UK egg industry."

Source:News :: Edwina Puts Eggs Back on the Menu

It made interesting reading. All the more so because since 1988, laws were brought in to safeguard against salmonella, and so the "Lion stamp" was introduced - hence my original post, #2

Back
Top Bottom