"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Food and Kitchen Safety

Old 01-13-2010, 12:39 AM   #11
Master Chef

they sell pasteurized yolks, & eggs can be coddled before prepping ceaser salads.

Old 01-13-2010, 12:42 AM   #12
Master Chef

& uncooked beef is kinda delicious, carpaccio.....

Old 01-13-2010, 12:47 AM   #13
Master Chef

Site Administrator

I think in general people far over cook their food. Some places it is worse than others. When I was traveling to England on a regular basis for work the office had a canteen that had eggs in the morning. They fried them (in bacon grease I think) then put them into a toaster oven until they were dry egg looking things. One morning I caught them just as they were taking the eggs out of the pan and asked for them. I was told they weren't done yet, but I convinced them that they were fine. Best eggs I had in England (and not cooked into submission).

I like 'em over easy.
Old 01-13-2010, 10:59 AM   #14
Head Chef

From the Incredible Eggs website:

"The inside of an egg was once considered almost sterile. But, over recent years, the bacterium Salmonella enteritidis (Se) has been found inside a small number of eggs. Scientists estimate that, on average across the U.S., only 1 of every 20,000 eggs might contain the bacteria. So, the likelihood that an egg might contain Se is extremely small – 0.005% (five one-thousandths of one percent). At this rate, if you’re an average consumer, you might encounter a contaminated egg once every 84 years."

You are in a lot more danger getting into the car and running to the store to pick up the eggs than you are from eating the eggs raw. If I was cooking for immune compromised folks or very old or very young people, I would cook the eggs thoroughly--otherwise, no.