"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Food and Kitchen Safety

Old 05-20-2010, 09:31 AM   #11
Master Chef

That's right! I have a big sack of those in my freezer & use them in all sorts of applications where I need to keep something cold but don't want to worry about it getting wet.

Old 05-20-2010, 09:37 AM   #12
Senior Cook

On Ascension at our church a Russian women tried to serve eggs left over from Easter. I told her they were probably not safe, her reply was "they were blessed, they are good for a year" I don't think anyone took her up on the eggs!
Sorry, not exactly related.

Old 05-20-2010, 10:21 AM   #13
Certifiable Executive Chef

Site Administrator

Some good suggestions here! Especially the creek idea. This had not occurred to me. There is a creek and it's cold. :)
Old 05-20-2010, 11:44 AM   #14
Assistant Cook

and obviously you just have to make sure it doesn't attract bears, etc...!!
Old 07-06-2010, 05:16 PM   #15
Assistant Cook

I know this is over-kill but here is the scoop from the FDA.
Safe Handling Instructions: To prevent illness from bacteria: keep eggs refrigerated, cook eggs until yolks are firm, and cook foods containing eggs thoroughly.

Chill Properly
  • Cooked eggs, including hard-boiled eggs, and egg-containing foods should not sit out for more than 2 hours. Within 2 hours either reheat or refrigerate.
  • Use hard-cooked eggs (in the shell or peeled) within 1 week after cooking
  • Use frozen eggs within one year. Eggs should not be frozen in their shells. To freeze whole eggs, beat yolks and whites together. Egg whites can also be frozen by themselves.
  • Refrigerate leftover cooked egg dishes and use within 3-4 days. When refrigerating a large amount of a hot egg-containing leftover, divide it into several shallow containers so it will cool quickly.
On the Road

• Cooked eggs for a picnic should be packed in an insulated cooler with enough ice or frozen gel packs to keep them cold.
  • Don't put the cooler in the trunkócarry it in the air-conditioned passenger compartment of the car.
  • If taking cooked eggs to work or school, pack them with a small frozen gel pack or a frozen juice box.
Or just call 1-888-SAFEFOOD and they can tell you the best way to transport!

Hope this helps!

p.s. I taught a home food processing course for a Lifelong Learning Adult Ed. program for years...

Old 07-07-2010, 10:20 AM   #16
Head Chef

That talks about cooked eggs, or freezing.
Just dedicate a cooler for the eggs, in their shells, using ice packs. Don't open the cooler until you are ready to use the eggs. They should be fine.
Yes, keep them in their shells. The concern isn't so much about space and a small container should be easier to keep cool... it's about keeping the integrity of the egg as long as possible; cracking the eggs, then storing them, creates a more dangerous environment. It outweighs the "smaller container" stance.
If the eggs are on ice, (or ice packs, or ice in sealed plastic bags), and covered in ice, and the cooler is not in full sun, from a Thursday to a Sunday, they should be just fine.

Wyogal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 10:49 AM   #17
Head Chef

Interesting: eggs in the shell, refrigerated, will last MUCH longer than eggs out of the shell, refrigerated. weeks compared to days...
Questions and Answers - Storing Raw Eggs, Sell Date of Eggs

Wyogal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 11:31 AM   #18
Master Chef

I COMPLETELY AGREE!!! Husband & I used to be big-time tent campers, & so long as we had access to fresh ice (which you can find in even the smallest hamlet), we always had fresh eggs at hand.

This is really not rocket science. All you need do is keep them cold (& in the shell) - just as you would/will with your meat products, etc. And with enough ice in your cooler, they'll probably be colder than they would be in your home fridge.
Old 07-07-2010, 11:41 AM   #19
Certifiable Executive Chef

Site Administrator

Just an update... I packed 12 dozen cold, cold eggs in one big cooler (still in shells) and added a fridge thermometer. Them I put the cooler in the creek with a big rock on top to keep it from floating away. The creek water temp was 41 degrees and the cooler stayed pretty constant at 44 degrees. The eggs were fine - no one got sick but I got very wet getting the cooler out of the creek for sunday am breakfast.

I found this cool page that was very useful. Lots of good egg tips. All About Eggs
Old 07-07-2010, 11:42 AM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

i think i saw it on a mayan calendar recently, but i have to agree with breezy on this one.

actually, i've found on many camping trips that eggs (still in the shell) just have to be kept relatively cool, not necessarily packed with ice or even at refrigerator temps.

the creek or stream idea is a great one. if you've ever swum down to the bottom of a lake, you know how cold the water gets very quickly away from the surface. it works well with things like beer and watermelon on really hot summer camping trips.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote