Eggplant safety - dark interior

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crankin

Senior Cook
I was planning on making a recipe tonight with eggplant, the first time I've ever cooked with eggplant, and when I sliced into it to cut it up, the flesh was sort of dark-ish and had quite a few seeds in it. Will it still be okay to cook with (it would be going in a bolognese-type sauce)? If not... would it not taste quite right, or would there be a potential for getting sick from it?

I was planning on making a recipe tonight with eggplant, the first time I've ever cooked with eggplant, and when I sliced into it to cut it up, the flesh was sort of dark-ish and had quite a few seeds in it. Will it still be okay to cook with (it would be going in a bolognese-type sauce)? If not... would it not taste quite right, or would there be a potential for getting sick from it?

Sounds like you have a female eggplant. Slice it and salt it. Then press it in a colander. Leave it there for a couple of hours. That will take out the bitter juices. Then use it as you planned. Eggplant has a yellowish/tan flesh. That is natural. :angel:

Back
Top Bottom