Eggs Safe To Use?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chef Munky

Honey Badger
I have a flat of eggs that were accidentally left in the back seat of my car all night.
Are they safe to use ? Or will I be getting homicidal in 2 minutes?

Thank you.
Munky.

I have a flat of eggs that were accidentally left in the back seat of my car all night.
Are they safe to use ? Or will I be getting homicidal in 2 minutes?

Thank you.
Munky.

Did you buy them at the store or from a farm? It is recommended to store eggs in a cool spot, but I don't refrigerate my FRESH eggs. I store them on the top step to the basement (there is a door, so the basement is much cooler than the rest of the house). Eggs you buy in the supermarket are kept in a cool warehouse for up to 6-12 months before they go to market here in Canada. I'd eat them.

Ok he's dead! " Sorry" isn't going to cut it today!
They were store bought. Don't know if the garage was cool enough last night. Went to bed early.

Thank you for the help. I'm just going to put them down the disposal. I don't trust that store very much. The refrigeration units are always going on the blink.

Munky.

Do you have a neighbor who raises chickens or pigs? I wouldn't get rid of them yet--wait for more feedback from folks. Maybe Sparrowgrass will weigh in. Did you do a search on the web re: the safety of eating eggs that were refrigerated and then not?

Yes we do have neighbors that raise pigs, goats and every other livestock animal you can think of. The only problem with that is I don't speak Spanish.

I always do a search before I ask anything. The answers varied. You can take a chance, or cook them all now.. Sure I'll get right on that last one. I have nothing better to do today. :ohmy:

Munky.

I'd make hard boiled eggs--I love hb eggs as a snack! Or I'd feed them to my dogs.

I don't buy eggs at the store anymore, and I don't always gather eggs immediately in the a.m., sometimes they are still warm, other times not. So I don't really know about the safety of store-bought eggs that were out of the refrigerator overnight. Everything I've read re: chicken keeping says they have to be kept in a cool place.

Last edited:
Put them in a bowl of water, if they sink, they are fresh. If they stand on end, they are not fresh but still OK to eat. If they float, ditch them.

If you crack them open, you can easily see if they are OK. There is no mistaking a bad egg if you crack it open.

I'm pretty sure a night or 2 in the car should be OK unless it is really hot out. Try the bowl of water trick. Eggs are by their nature in ideal storage cases.

Put them in a bowl of water, if they sink, they are fresh. If they stand on end, they are not fresh but still OK to eat. If they float, ditch them.

If you crack them open, you can easily see if they are OK. There is no mistaking a bad egg if you crack it open.

I'm pretty sure a night or 2 in the car should be OK unless it is really hot out. Try the bowl of water trick. Eggs are by their nature in ideal storage cases.

Ok, I did the egg in water test. All of them sank but 4 of them.They stood up. Some were cracked.
When I cut open the flats plastic wrapping the eggs were cool to the touch. Had some condensation on the tops.

I was thinking that because the eggs were store bought the producers of the eggs pre washed the eggs before they even hit the shelves. That alone removed the protective what's the word? ( coating ) from the eggs. That's where temperature control is necessary. Correct me if I'm wrong on that one.

If they are farm fresh, not washed it would be ok if they were left out. I never had to collect the eggs when I was a kid until after school. By then it was late afternoon. I liked detention :) J/K!

Just to play it safe. I'll have him pick up another flat.
Thank you for the help.

Munky.

Commercial eggs are washed and yes it does remove the bloom. But they also re-coat them with another substance (mineral oil based?) which also protects them.

Discard any cracked eggs, even star cracks. Bacteria can get in there. If all sank except 4, then that sounds pretty good. If the 4 that stood up on end were not cracked, nor floated, then those are ideal for boiling. Older eggs peel easier!

I don't wash my eggs--my hens lay clean eggs, but they are not in the same situation that commercial layers are. I would keep all the eggs except for the cracked ones or the ones that floated. FWI, outside of water, you can stand fresh eggs on end.

I agree, I don't wash my hen's eggs either. The bloom provides a really good protective coat. As far as I know, commercial eggs have to be washed by law.

Cool on the fresh eggs! I'm going to try that.

I agree, I don't wash my hen's eggs either. The bloom provides a really good protective coat. As far as I know, commercial eggs have to be washed by law.

Cool on the fresh eggs! I'm going to try that.
That's my parlor trick--I can also hold a champagne glass with my toes and drink out of it. My response to being able to write one's name in the snow when...

Puts turning my eyelids inside out to shame.............Try this:

How to get a hard-boiled egg into a narrow bottle.

You have to use a shelled, hard-boiled egg for this trick. Try to get an egg which is free from cracks.

Find a bottle with a neck just small enough that the egg won''t fall in (a milk bottle, for example).
Instructions

Egg in a bottle trickScrew up a small piece of paper and drop it in the bottle. Alternatively, use two or three wooden matches. Light the paper or matches, and allow it to burn out.

Immediately place the egg in to the bottleneck.

The egg will be sucked in, making a very interesting sound in the process!

Well, here I am, late to the game. I personally wouldn't worry a bit about eggs left overnight in the car, especially this time of year. USDA, however, says you should toss them if they have been out of the fridge more than 2 hours. So, use your own judgement. :rolleyes: (I would lose the cracked ones, for sure, homegrown OR storebought.)

I wash my eggs if they are dirty--some of my girls are not 'housebroken', so I do get a dirty egg once in a while.

What's the temperature like where you live? They should be all right if you're not in a place like Phoenix or such that is terribly warm.

On the other hand, if you're having second thoughts, I would deep-six them. go with your gut instincts. Eggs are not expensive, and it isn't worth you or a family member getting sick.

For the person who suggested hard boiling the eggs: If the eggs are "off," cooking them won't make them okay to eat.

I recommended hard boiling the ones that stood on the end in the water and throwing the ones that floated. I have never had a bad egg that didn't float.

Store bought eggs tend to sit forever in storage. They need to keep them at a consistent temp.They recommend less than 2 hours at room temp so that it complied with their SOP. Control is vital before it gets to the customer to ensure the eggs are in perfect shape.

If an egg is bad, it will float. I never suggested cooking an egg to make it safe.on the other hand when traveling overseas to places where hygiene is suspect, they do say that fully cooked eggs are a good bet as cooking them does kill bacteria.

I'm sure the eggs that didn't float are perfectly fine as long as you doing do soft boil or soft yolked sunny side up or such.

Back
Top Bottom