"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Food and Kitchen Safety

Old 11-23-2008, 12:40 PM   #21
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constance View Post
Smarty Pants!

I have never mastered the art of bread making, and now I'm too crippled up to worry about it.
This is why it's so important that we teach the whole world to bake their own bread. I bake bread so I don't have time to go to the beer joint and get into trouble. More men should bake bread...

BTW, I did have food poisoning in 1972, and I will never forget that episode. It came from a sandwich with mayo that spoiled. It was teh only time in my life that I truly wanted to die. It was horrible, nasty, outrageous, miserable, violent, gut-wrenching, etc, etc.... Swallow the pride and pitch the bad food.

Old 11-23-2008, 12:44 PM   #22
Master Chef

Oh Pacanis!! Your cheeses are (or would have been if you'd kept them) absolutely & perfectly fine. Even the cream cheese. Same goes for the Pico de Gallo.

As far as the chili, if you had said 50-60 degrees, I probably would've chanced it. But that's just me. Eighty degrees?? I'd toss it. And just out of curiosity, even with the door ajar, how the heck did the interior of your fridge ever reach 80 degrees?? Is that the temp inside your house?

Old 11-23-2008, 12:47 PM   #23
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezyCooking View Post
And just out of curiosity, even with the door ajar, how the heck did the interior of your fridge ever reach 80 degrees?? Is that the temp inside your house?
If the door does not close all the way, the light stays on and the heat gain begins. A fridge is not a very large space, and a single light bulb can heat it up very quickly. Remember the kids baking oven that could make a small cake using just a light bulb? That's how it gets that warm that quick.
Old 11-23-2008, 01:06 PM   #24
Master Chef

Yea pacanis... I would been in cooking mode... using that cheese. Plus most recipes using cream cheese says to bring to room temp, although I know most folks don't keep their homes at 80 degrees!
Old 11-23-2008, 01:28 PM   #25
Master Chef

Quote:
If the door does not close all the way, the light stays on and the heat gain begins. A fridge is not a very large space, and a single light bulb can heat it up very quickly. Remember the kids baking oven that could make a small cake using just a light bulb? That's how it gets that warm that quick.
Sorry - I don't buy that. First off, the "Easy Bake Oven" was/is a tiny little thing Second, fridges - mine at least - have one small light bulb at the top encased in plastic. Eighty degrees in a period of what, maybe 12 hours tops, with the door ajar for a free exchange of air? I still find it odd unless the OP keeps his/her house outrageously warm.

But regardless - my feelings re: the food safety remain the same.
Old 11-23-2008, 02:04 PM   #26
Sous Chef

I seem to remember reading about someone dying from botulism poisoning by eating chili that was left out for about 12 hrs. There is no way I would chance it...
Old 11-23-2008, 02:43 PM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire

To clear up a little confusion, the only cheeses I pitched were the blue cheese ones and the parmesan, which just hit me I forgot to replace (shoot). I still have the cream cheese and cheddar. So I guess I'm good there. I've still got the pico, so OK, I guess I'm good there, too. And a tomato..... I kept a tomato. Plus of course the butters.
And I've still got that chili..........
Milk, gravy, condiments, sauces, syrup, dressings, bacon, ham, veggies, thawing meatloaf, leftover steak, sour cream..... everything else got pitched and is irretrievable cuz I don't go through garbage. Not even my own ;^)

Breezy, I keep my house that warm downstairs. And it's about ten degreees cooler upstairs in the bedroom. Still, eighty in the fridge surprised me only because it was obviously running all that time, so you would think it would maintain some kind of coolness...... and the DO did feel cool (it was on the bottom shelf), but not fridge cold. I probably should have checked the chili with a thermometer, but didn't think about it at the time. I know the bottom shelf was colder than the top shelf where the refrigerator thermometer was. Maybe Joe's lightbulb theory does have merit.

I still don't understand why I couldn't bring the chili back up to simmering temp for a couple hours and kill any nasties that might have started. I can see not risking it though. I'm on the fence.

Oh, and I was "this close" to putting the chili out on the porch deck last night, but I didn't want to chance having it freeze. How ironic is that (lol).
Old 11-23-2008, 02:44 PM   #28
Master Chef

RobsanX - you must have read or are remembering incorrectly, as Botulism poisoning doesn't happen that way. You don't get Botulism poisoning from food left out for 12 hours unless it was in the food to begin with. In which case you would have been poisoned long before you had a chance to enjoy the left-out leftovers.
Old 11-23-2008, 02:51 PM   #29
Master Chef

Actually, the blue cheese & parmesan are two of the very safest things you could have saved. In fact, ANY aged cheese would have been just fine. What made you toss them right away? Sour cream most likely would have been fine too.

And there's a very simple explanation re: the temp difference between the upper & lower fridge shelves that have nothing to do with the "light bulb theory": warm air rises; cold air sinks.

Wow - you keep your house at 80 degrees? Glad I'm not paying your heating bill - lol!!
Old 11-23-2008, 03:13 PM   #30
Chef Extraordinaire

I don't know. Between the other fridge on the fritz threads and the don't take a chance advice, I figured the blue cheese containers were one of the easy things to get rid of. Not like that chili that contained the pork butt I spent 16 hours on last week....

Yeah, but the refrigerator has a fan to move the air, the freezer is on top, the meat drawer in the middle (cooler temps) and the door was ajar the whole vertical length. I still would think the temps would equalize top to bottom unless there was a heat source somewhere (the bulb). I hope I don't get to test that theory again though (lol).

I have a poorly made farmhouse (that I insulated) and its climate is uneven everywhere. I need to keep it more warm in some areas to be comfortable in others. Fortunately, I also have a gas well. Still, where the refrigerator sits is right next to a mudroom that isn't heated, so it would not be that warm in that part of the kitchen. Something was causing some heat.