"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Food and Kitchen Safety

Old 11-23-2008, 03:53 PM   #31
Executive Chef

Hmmm.....throw everything out, none of it safe. The preceding was a public service announcement.

I see it's hours after your initial post. I would have suggested you reheat that chili to 165 immediately, and then chill it quickly, in shallow pans. If you didn't do that, you are taking a risk by eating it, regardless of when you reheat it. There is the letter of the law when dealing with the public, and then there is what you are willing to risk when dealing with your life and those around you. It's your call.

Old 11-23-2008, 04:07 PM   #32
Head Chef

Gee Pacanis, that stinks. My fridge died this summer the night before leaving for vacation. I didn't have a lot in there but tossed my collection of condiments!

As for your chili......may it R.I.P :(

Old 11-23-2008, 04:32 PM   #33
Chief Eating Officer

The condiments were probably one of the safest things you could have kept. Most do not even need to be stored in the fridge in the first place (regardless of what it says on the packaging). Ketchup, mustard, soy sauce, etc. can all be kept safely in the cupboard.
Old 11-23-2008, 06:48 PM   #34
Chef Extraordinaire

And that's what keeps me hanging onto the thought my chili might still be good, GB, though I'll probably toss it. One way or another.
If catsup would still be good with being cold and heating up and cooling back down, why not tomato based chili? Yeah, it's got other stuff in it.... but still..... I've eaten room temperature pizza without ill effect....

Oh well. Decisions, decisions.
Old 11-23-2008, 06:52 PM   #35
Head Chef

GB, I tossed everything since I would be gone for three weeks in the heat of summer. I wasn't so concerned with some of them but decided to be safe. Some of the relishes and chutneys just didn't seem like something worth keeping. In the months since then I have replaced everything in the fridge.
Old 11-23-2008, 07:31 PM   #36
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
If catsup would still be good with being cold and heating up and cooling back down, why not tomato based chili? Yeah, it's got other stuff in it.... but still
You are comparing apples to oranges. Like you said, it has other stuff in it. You can not just dismiss that "other stuff" with a wave of the hand as if it does not exist or does not matter. That "other stuff" can cause you a world of trouble. Not to mention that ketchup is different than tomatoe bases chili. There are other things in other concentrations present in ketchup that are not present in your chili. There is a large amount of acid and sugar and salt in concentrations that are not present in your chili. Ketchup is not chili. They might share some of the same ingredients, but they are not the same.

Quote:
I've eaten room temperature pizza without ill effect....
Just because you have played Russian Roulette (assuming your room temp pizza was left out longer than just a few hours) and won does not mean it is a safe practice. I know people who have driven for years without a seat belt with no ill effect. No matter what, you will never convince me that is safe. As soon as one of those people gets into a car accident their tune will change, but at that point it is too late.
Old 11-23-2008, 08:12 PM   #37
Senior Cook

Quote:

I still don't understand why I couldn't bring the chili back up to simmering temp for a couple hours and kill any nasties that might have started. I can see not risking it though. I'm on the fence.

Oh, and I was "this close" to putting the chili out on the porch deck last night, but I didn't want to chance having it freeze. How ironic is that (lol).
I don't really see much danger here, frankly. I am assuming that you didn't start with dried beans. That would open up the possibility of Clostridium perfringens spores surviving the first cooking and becoming vegetative bacteria in the refrigerator.

Absent that, you are correct that heating to boiling, even for 5 minutes will kill any bacteria that you may have contaminated the chili with after cooking.

Your only real danger would be Staph aureus toxin, if you contaminated the chili with Staph bacteria after cooking, and the PH was high enough to allow bacterial growth.

Although Chili has a lot of tomato products in it usually, it has a lot of other more neutral products too, like meat, beans and so on. I am not convinced that the PH would be low enough to be safe from Staph.

So there is some risk and that probably means throw it out to some or not to others. You will have to decide, but the risk is low unless you had an open cut while you were cooking ( a good way to transmit staph)
Old 11-23-2008, 09:28 PM   #38
Chef Extraordinaire

Open cut? Well, I did briefly Mozart, but I super glued it and no blood touched anything.
So you can transmit staph without having a staph infection?
Old 11-23-2008, 10:36 PM   #39
Senior Cook

Quote:
Open cut? Well, I did briefly Mozart, but I super glued it and no blood touched anything.
So you can transmit staph without having a staph infection?
Staphylococcus aureus

This will give you some answers, but I have to warn you that reading it might be worse than actually getting food poisoning
Old 11-23-2008, 10:42 PM   #40
Chef Extraordinaire

throw the dang chili away. you will make more another day. if you don't then remember we told you so, when you are barfing out your brains. lol