"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Food and Kitchen Safety

Old 11-24-2008, 10:59 AM   #41
Master Chef

Your cheeses -- especially the parmesan -- would be fine. So would most of your condiments.

The chili needed to be tossed. As did other meat and dairy foods.

Pico will be fine.

Heating food to boiling will not kill off all heat-resistant spores. So you can still get very sick even if you do this. If this were not the case, we wouldn't need to refrigerate food in the fitrst place. We would just leave it out and reheat it.

Old 11-24-2008, 04:50 PM   #42
Sous Chef

So..... did you eat your chili...are you still alive Pac?

If it was really good Chili I would have eaten it.... I am sure I have done worse. I would not serve it to anyone else though... anyone I like anyway ;)

Old 11-24-2008, 05:30 PM   #43
Senior Cook

I am curious how a refrigerator that is constantly running because the door is slightly open reaches 80 degrees on the top shelf, yet other foods are cold to the touch. Mine would never top 60 or so in that situation if that.

Anyway, I should add Bacillus cereus to the potential organisms. This won't be an issue with canned beans and canned tomatoes, but could possibly be with fresh tomatoes although it is not real common to begin with and I've never heard of it in chili, just rice dishes.

By the way, reheating should be done on the stove top not the microwave, as microwave ovens often leave cold spots in reheated foods.
Old 11-24-2008, 05:51 PM   #44
Chef Extraordinaire

It was excellent chili. No beans, smoked pulled pork, my new Penzeys chili powder, peppers, onions, garlic, jalapenos..... awesome chili (sniff). And I still have it, but have decided not to eat it. I'm going to dump it way out back when it isn't raining and let the critters have it. I will probably say a couple words over it.

I'd like to know, too, Mozart. Joe's lighbulb theory is the only thing I can think of. And I was also thinking that even though the cooling was running non-stop, trying to catch up to the thermostat setting, with the door cracked maybe hot hair generated by the compressor was entering. This refrigerator has always sucked though, fluctuating temps, 10 degree difference between the top and bottom shelf, almost at the coldest setting to maintain 38F, four fan motors in the seven years I've had it. I need to shoot it someday and put me out of its misery
Old 11-24-2008, 05:53 PM   #45
Head Chef

Whew! Pacanis, I was starting to worry about you!
Old 11-24-2008, 05:58 PM   #46
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by elaine l View Post
Whew! Pacanis, I was starting to worry about you!
Just cuz I'm not eating the chili, isn't reason enough to stop.
Old 11-24-2008, 07:33 PM   #47
Senior Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to fireweaver
poor pacanis! with all the work, i probably would have risked it, too...except that i just had a wicked case of clostridium a couple of months ago, which put me back on the straight & narrow FOR SURE. and no, i acquired it from a restaurant, not my house, but i do NOT want another round with food poisoning. fun thing about plenty of bacteria (like my clostridial nightmare) is that even if you boil the crap out of that food & kill the buggies, their toxins are still in there, ready to wreak havoc.

the kind of havoc that keeps you home from work for a few days, and makes you not eat anything for a week. waaaaaaay unpleasant.
Old 11-24-2008, 08:10 PM   #48
Chef Extraordinaire

Thanks fireweaver.
I've never had the food poisoning that I read about here. I've eaten stuff that has made me sick for a day, but nothing like the wretched one week variety that a lot of folks here have had. I guess I've been lucky. My final decision was based on that I can't afford to be sick right now. Now, maybe if it was after the holiday weekend....
Old 11-25-2008, 02:56 AM   #49
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireweaver View Post
poor pacanis! with all the work, i probably would have risked it, too...except that i just had a wicked case of clostridium a couple of months ago, which put me back on the straight & narrow FOR SURE. and no, i acquired it from a restaurant, not my house, but i do NOT want another round with food poisoning. fun thing about plenty of bacteria (like my clostridial nightmare) is that even if you boil the crap out of that food & kill the buggies, their toxins are still in there, ready to wreak havoc.

the kind of havoc that keeps you home from work for a few days, and makes you not eat anything for a week. waaaaaaay unpleasant.
yep, a good dance with Ms. clostridium botulism is enough for most........sorry you had to go thru that bout, fireweaver...........yeah, some of these beasties like Clostridium will produce spores that can withstand high temps and therefore are not killed with even boiling......not worth dancing with the stars
Old 11-25-2008, 05:01 AM   #50
Master Chef

Hmmm, I always wear my seatbelt, but would take a taste of the chili. Of course my pantry area gets pretty cold at night. If I lived after eating the chili, I'd serve it to friends.