"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Food and Kitchen Safety

Old 11-25-2008, 06:51 AM   #51
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by elaine l
Whew! Pacanis, I was starting to worry about you!

Just cuz I'm not eating the chili, isn't reason enough to stop.

elaine, tell him to WEAR HIS SEATBELT!!!

Lee

Old 11-25-2008, 07:07 AM   #52
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by mozart View Post
I am curious how a refrigerator that is constantly running because the door is slightly open reaches 80 degrees on the top shelf, yet other foods are cold to the touch. Mine would never top 60 or so in that situation if that.

Anyway, I should add Bacillus cereus to the potential organisms. This won't be an issue with canned beans and canned tomatoes, but could possibly be with fresh tomatoes although it is not real common to begin with and I've never heard of it in chili, just rice dishes.

By the way, reheating should be done on the stove top not the microwave, as microwave ovens often leave cold spots in reheated foods.
An open door introduces ambient temperature. Average room temp is 70, so that is being introduced into the confined space. Additionally, the chili was hot when it went into the fridge (never a good idea to put it in in a solid mass, but that's another thread), hot air rises, making the top of the box the hottest spot. Even with the door closed, the appliance would have been hard pressed to maintain 40 degrees and properly cool the chili within two hours.

Old 11-25-2008, 07:18 AM   #53
Chef Extraordinaire

It wasn't hot, Vera. I'm one of those folks who let things cool down a bit before putting them in the fridge. More to reduce condensation on the food than anything.
Old 11-25-2008, 07:27 AM   #54
Executive Chef

hmmm, then....the only reason it would heat up to 80, then is just the introduction of the ambient temperature. With the door not completely open, and simply ajar I wouldn't thing it would get as high as 80. It's possible you need the compressor checked.
Old 11-25-2008, 07:52 AM   #55
Chef Extraordinaire

The next person to touch the back of this refrigerator will be wheeling it out and the new one in :^)
Old 11-25-2008, 08:36 AM   #56
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
It wasn't hot, Vera. I'm one of those folks who let things cool down a bit before putting them in the fridge. More to reduce condensation on the food than anything.
How long did you let it cool before it went into the fridge. It it was within a safe time period then chances are it was still hot in the center.
Old 11-25-2008, 08:40 AM   #57
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
If I lived after eating the chili, I'd serve it to friends.
That is still very dangerous. What if your chili did have nasties in it, but your immune system was strong enough to deal with it, but your friends system was not? What if you just had not seen any symptoms yet. It can take days before you notice anything, if you even notice it.
Old 11-25-2008, 08:59 AM   #58
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
How long did you let it cool before it went into the fridge. It it was within a safe time period then chances are it was still hot in the center.
Good question. I didn't time it. 1-1/2 hours maybe? The football game was over.... The cast iron DO wasn't hot anymore, maybe just warm. And yes, the center could have still been hot enough to eat, but I'd like to think that the coldness of the refrigerator started by cooling the CI, then the lukewarm outer chili, then the center, rather than the other way around with the center of the chili radiating heat outward.
If the door had been shut that is
Old 11-25-2008, 09:06 AM   #59
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Good question. I didn't time it. 1-1/2 hours maybe? The football game was over.... The cast iron DO wasn't hot anymore, maybe just warm. And yes, the center could have still been hot enough to eat, but I'd like to think that the coldness of the refrigerator started by cooling the CI, then the lukewarm outer chili, then the center, rather than the other way around with the center of the chili radiating heat outward.
If the door had been shut that is
1.5 hours is a safe amount of time to let it cool. the center was still most likely very hot though, which means parts of the chili most likely never got into the safe zone.

Next time, dish the chili into smaller containers as you let it cool. This will enable it to cool much quicker and will be safer.
Old 11-25-2008, 09:51 AM   #60
Chef Extraordinaire

Yeah, I should get in the habit of doing that, especially with something thick, but like a lot of people, after the food is cooked and dinner is finished, I look for the easy way out.