"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Food and Kitchen Safety

Old 11-05-2014, 05:29 PM   #31
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Larry, anytime I do something really stupid and my own fault, I am reluctant to let anyone know. I tend to try to brush it off. "Oh just a little cut. Nothing serious." That doesn't always fly. Not when the blood is seeping through. It can be difficult trying to wrap one's hand with the other and it is not your good hand that y ou are wrapping with. Even worse when it is your good hand that is injured. That is always going to be the hand you bang constantly until it heals.
Yeah, Im lucky it wasn't my good hand. Definitely could have been worse. As for my injury, there was no way I could hide it . I have the pictures to prove it, just didnt think it would go over well in this thread

Old 11-05-2014, 05:56 PM   #32
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry_stewart View Post
Yeah, Im lucky it wasn't my good hand. Definitely could have been worse. As for my injury, there was no way I could hide it . I have the pictures to prove it, just didnt think it would go over well in this thread
Larry, I have three nice rounded fingers and one thumb on one hand. The fourth finger is flat on top. Like yours, the tip remained on the floor until I could get it swept up. I have noticed that my nail is not growing at the same rate as the rest of them on that hand.

Old 11-06-2014, 11:47 AM   #33
Assistant Cook

A good quick remedy I liked to use working in a kitchen was anytime you got a cut (one that didn't require stiches) you grab salt with your good hand, stuff your cut into it, wrap it and shove your hand into a glove. Less then 45 sec. and your right back to work. Letting it sit like that will dry it out and more often than not after work the cut had stopped bleeding and it even healed quicker. Could just be all in my head but I like to think it worked.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Discuss Cooking mobile app
Old 11-06-2014, 01:17 PM   #34
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal Cookin View Post
A good quick remedy I liked to use working in a kitchen was anytime you got a cut (one that didn't require stiches) you grab salt with your good hand, stuff your cut into it, wrap it and shove your hand into a glove. Less then 45 sec. and your right back to work. Letting it sit like that will dry it out and more often than not after work the cut had stopped bleeding and it even healed quicker. Could just be all in my head but I like to think it worked.

I am sorry. But adding salt to an open wound is adding insult to injury. Not my idea of fun.
Old 11-07-2014, 10:08 AM   #35
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal Cookin View Post

A better remedy is to hold a piece of tissue on the cut for a minute, wash and dry the area, and put a Band-Aid over the cut. Your method will work, but it will be much more painful and it's unsanitary. Putting pressure of any kind on the cut stops the bleeding and salt doesn't help with healing.

Tags
cook