Even experienced cooks screw up royally when it comes to safety

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just bought a set of gloves for the mandoline. +1 on grabbing the handle of a skillet from the 400 oven. Going to Amazon for the sleeve in a bit.

Glad I am not alone in this club, hey it happens to the best :) Had many similar experiences from trying to put our pan fires with water (who hasn't done this in their teens!), almost cutting a limb off via the garbage disposal, and last but not least kitchen almost burning down and no fire extinguisher in site. Valuable lessons learned and part of the process in being a top home chef I guess!!

Nope you are not alone. My hand is very small and fit nicely down the drain to retrieve any fallen items. I make sure no on is in the kitchen and the disposal is shut off before I even attempt to remove anything from there. :angel:

Addie, I go one better than you. I go down the basement to throw the circuit breaker to the disposal before I put my hand in! I'm just a big chicken. At least Myrtle might like me.

Addie, I go one better than you. I go down the basement to throw the circuit breaker to the disposal before I put my hand in! I'm just a big chicken. At least Myrtle might like me.

Myrtle would love you. If you are a friend of The Big Chicken, then you are a friend of hers. I am not afraid of electricity. Just stupid folks who think they know everything. Like the ones who do not believe that there is a sharp spinning blade down there. I have the urge to tell them to put their hand down there while I throw the switch.

I am telling you that there are days when I am surrounded by idiots. :angel:

I'm not afraid of electricity, Addie. I'm afraid that the dirt-cheap disposal the builder put in might flake out and turn on when my hand is down there. :ermm:

I'm not afraid of electricity, Addie. I'm afraid that the dirt-cheap disposal the builder put in might flake out and turn on when my hand is down there. :ermm:

When I moved in, the disposal was almost ten years old. Then it finally quit about two years after I moved in. So maintenance put in a new Dispose-All. I have a habit of just letting things sit down the drain that I know it can handle. But I don't run it every time. Today I put down the cut up rinds of two lemons plus anything else I had just let sit there. Handled it like it was child's play. I have often had the thought that it might just start on its own while my hand is down there. So my forays are very quick. :angel:

A few years ago, i got up early ( for what ever reason, about 4:30am, just like today), and had the desire to cook. Went outside. Picked myself some fresh herbs, and grabbed my brand new cleaver that Ive been dying to try out. I made a nice mound of herbs and began to chop away ( kinda like using a sledge hammer to push in a thumbtack). Sure enough , I take off a corner of my finger ( nail and all). Being about 4:45am, I didnt want to wake anyone up, so I did the best i could ( which was very poor) wrapping my finger up in a bandage and waited until about 7am. At this time, I woke my wife up and asked her if she could help me rebandage my finger. Of course she asked what I did this time, since I'm known to be injury prone when doing things around the house. She then proceeded to tell me what a jackass I was for not waking her up immediately after it had happened . I thought I was being considerate by letting her sleep to a reasonable time. I figured the piece wasnt big enough to sew back on, and i wasnt in danger of bleeding to death, so why should 2 people suffer as a result of my own stupidity.

It was one of those things that i knew I was doing something stupid. Knew I was going to get hurt, but did it anyway. I almost felt like i deserved it :)

larry

Last edited:
A few years ago, i got up early ( for what ever reason, about 4:30am, just like today), and had the desire to cook. Went outside. Picked myself some fresh herbs, and grabbed my brand new cleaver that Ive been dying to try out. I made a nice mound of herbs and began to chop away ( kinda like using a sledge hammer to push in a thumbtack). Sure enough , I take off a corner of my finger ( nail and all). Being about 4:45am, I didnt want to wake anyone up, so I did the best i could ( which was very poor) wrapping my finger up in a bandage and waited until about 7am. At this time, I woke my wife up and asked her if she could help me rebandage my finger. Of course she asked what I did this time, since I'm known to be injury prone when doing things around the house. She then proceeded to tell me what a jackass I was for not waking her up immediately after it had happened . I thought I was being considerate by letting her sleep to a reasonable time. I figured the piece wasnt big enough to sew back on, and i wasnt in danger of bleeding to death, so why should 2 people suffer as a result of my own stupidity.

It was one of those things that i knew I was doing something stupid. Knew I was going to get hurt, but did it anyway. I almost felt like i deserved it :)

larry

Larry, anytime I do something really stupid and my own fault, I am reluctant to let anyone know. I tend to try to brush it off. "Oh just a little cut. Nothing serious." That doesn't always fly. Not when the blood is seeping through. It can be difficult trying to wrap one's hand with the other and it is not your good hand that y ou are wrapping with. Even worse when it is your good hand that is injured. That is always going to be the hand you bang constantly until it heals. :angel:

Larry, anytime I do something really stupid and my own fault, I am reluctant to let anyone know. I tend to try to brush it off. "Oh just a little cut. Nothing serious." That doesn't always fly. Not when the blood is seeping through. It can be difficult trying to wrap one's hand with the other and it is not your good hand that y ou are wrapping with. Even worse when it is your good hand that is injured. That is always going to be the hand you bang constantly until it heals. :angel:

Yeah, Im lucky it wasn't my good hand. Definitely could have been worse. As for my injury, there was no way I could hide it . I have the pictures to prove it, just didnt think it would go over well in this thread :)

Yeah, Im lucky it wasn't my good hand. Definitely could have been worse. As for my injury, there was no way I could hide it . I have the pictures to prove it, just didnt think it would go over well in this thread :)

Larry, I have three nice rounded fingers and one thumb on one hand. The fourth finger is flat on top. Like yours, the tip remained on the floor until I could get it swept up. I have noticed that my nail is not growing at the same rate as the rest of them on that hand. :angel:

A good quick remedy I liked to use working in a kitchen was anytime you got a cut (one that didn't require stiches) you grab salt with your good hand, stuff your cut into it, wrap it and shove your hand into a glove. Less then 45 sec. and your right back to work. Letting it sit like that will dry it out and more often than not after work the cut had stopped bleeding and it even healed quicker. Could just be all in my head but I like to think it worked.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Discuss Cooking mobile app

A good quick remedy I liked to use working in a kitchen was anytime you got a cut (one that didn't require stiches) you grab salt with your good hand, stuff your cut into it, wrap it and shove your hand into a glove. Less then 45 sec. and your right back to work. Letting it sit like that will dry it out and more often than not after work the cut had stopped bleeding and it even healed quicker. Could just be all in my head but I like to think it worked.

I am sorry. But adding salt to an open wound is adding insult to injury. Not my idea of fun. :angel:

A better remedy is to hold a piece of tissue on the cut for a minute, wash and dry the area, and put a Band-Aid over the cut. Your method will work, but it will be much more painful and it's unsanitary. Putting pressure of any kind on the cut stops the bleeding and salt doesn't help with healing.

Back
Top Bottom