Expired Frozen Fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

suziquzie

Chef Extraordinaire
I found a bag in the bottom of the freezer, individually frozen Salmon fillets. The date on them is a year ago, I don't think I saw that last time I cooked them, I think I had one this summer.
Do you think they are ok or are they maybe just being over-careful?
They are actually in a very deep freeze, the regulator is broken and it runs constant, the temp has got to be at least 10 below in there. Gotta get that fixed....

How well were they wrapped? If wrapped well, I would not have a problem eating them. They might not taste as good as they once did, but they should not be dangerous.

They are in those vaccum sealed, thick plastic bags.... like the No Name Steaks (not sure if that's a national brand....)

That is the best scenario you could hope for, vacuum sealed in thick plastic in a deep freeze. I say go for it.

The texture or flavor may be comprimised, but as far as safety goes, if they have been frozen the entire time they are safe to eat.

Eat and enjoy! They are safe (from a food safety standpoint) and I doubt that you will really notice much, if any, degradation of flavor, texture, or quality since they were vacuum sealed.

If no ice is present then you know that they have remained frozen the whole time. If there is any air in the bag, you know that there is a hole. Otherwise freezer burn is the worst that you can expect. If they aren't any good, which I extremely doubt, when you defrost them, you will be able to smell them as soon as you open the bag if not before. Just don't expect them to be in tip-top condition. Could still serve as a steak/fillet, otherwise in a lasagne or other pasta dish. Or bake in foil with pineapple-tomato salsa.

Back
Top Bottom