Fish Storage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brent R.

Assistant Cook
I live in Broomfield, CO, and the only place that has any variety of fish that I have found is an Asian market. The problem is that the fish are sold whole and uncleaned, with the internal organs and such still in the fish. I have not seen fish sold this way before and I am wondering if this is ok, or if the organs start to spoil inside the fish. The fish are kept on ice, but not frozen. The fish are not the normal super market staples and I would really like to try them. Thanks for your help!

While this is common it's rare to see fish in the central US of this type. The question you should be asking is how fresh is the fish they are selling to you? Personally when cooking whole fish (on the off chance I have company and the money to splurge) I would rather mail order flash frozen fish from a reputable internet source since I don't have a fishmonger I am friendly with.

If the asian market can give you an important date and meet standards of freshness then go for it. Do you know how to deal with a whole fish though?

There are enzymes in the organs of fish that, as soon as the fish is dead, begin the process of breaking down the fish (spoiling). Unless the fish are kept very cold and the organs removed within a few hours, the spoilage can taint the taste of the fish, and not long after that, make the texture unpleasant as well. It's akin to having to remove the scent glands from a deer immediately upon killing it or the meat will be tainted.

Fish such as sardines and anchovies still have their organs, but are immediately processed and the decaying is stopped.

I would prefer to not have to worry about spoilage or bother cleaning fish (that's what fish mongers are for!) But also consider that they have to have a state health license in order to sell the fish or any other food, so the chances of you becoming ill are less than you might imagine.

I live in Broomfield, CO, and the only place that has any variety of fish that I have found is an Asian market. The problem is that the fish are sold whole and uncleaned, with the internal organs and such still in the fish. I have not seen fish sold this way before and I am wondering if this is ok, or if the organs start to spoil inside the fish. The fish are kept on ice, but not frozen. The fish are not the normal super market staples and I would really like to try them. Thanks for your help!
Yes, we buy fish whole and uncleaned and fresh (generally still living when we buy). We descale, clean, remove internal organs of the fish then wash with salt water, make suitable pieces and after that keep the pieces in an air tight container and keep the container in freezer. Keep the fish like this way, it will remain good for two weeks.

As what i have know In preserving fish for up to a week, without freezing, which damages the fish.
example salmon, cod or sword fish marinated in salt and olive oil can be kept in the fridge for up to a week. If the fish is whole, cut it into slices no more than 1-1.5 cm thick.Use your finger or a small brush to spread a teaspoon of salt on the fish, do not miss any part, then do the same procedure with a spoonful of olive oil.Keep the fish in the refrigerator, not the freezer. The olive oil protects the fish from moisture and makes it tender.That what usually done specially dont have refregerator at home . Best

Our Asian market does the same thing. They usually buy only enough fish that they can sell in one week. Our gets the fish, and it is the same as one you describe, on Fridays. That is the day I go to buy one. The advantage of getting the whole fish, some of them come with fish eggs inside, yum. Also our store will clean it and even fillet it for you; at the very list they will take scales off, for an extra buck.

Back
Top Bottom