Fishing & prep question?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chile Chef

Sous Chef
Ok folks here's the deal.

I'm going to go fishing in a river that sposininly dirty and murky and mucky, Anyways some day don't eat the fish you catch out the river because of of it being dirty, I say horse pucky, I mean if you clean it well, you cook it well, You should be able to be Ok.

Does everyone agree or disagree?

I'm sorry I disagree..You know the old saying you are what you eat? Think about what those fish are eating...YUK. double YUK
kadesma

I'm going to go fishing in a river that sposininly dirty and murky and mucky, Anyways some day don't eat the fish you catch out the river because of of it being dirty, I say horse pucky, I mean if you clean it well, you cook it well, You should be able to be Ok.

Dirty, murky and mucky as in silted? No problema. You should see some of the old blackwater rivers and swamps in the South. And rivers get silted every year as a matter of course. People eat fish out of there all the time.

Dirty as in polluted? Well, metals and many pesticides concentrate in tissues more the higher up the food chain you are, so they'll kill you quicker than they will the fish if you eat enough of them over time. No washing will take those off and cooking doesn't help, they're part of the package now. ;)

Chile Chef said:
I mean if you clean it well, you cook it well, You should be able to be Ok.....Does everyone agree or disagree?

Disagree!!! --- Cleaning (scaling/skinning) and cooking does not remove contaminants from fish who live in a contaminated environment. The contaminants can/may become part of/integrated into the flesh of the fish. If you eat the flesh you are ingesting those contaminants into your body!!

Chile Chef said:
I'm going to go fishing in a river that sposininly dirty and murky and mucky,

What does this mean? .... Around here rivers, creeks and bayous can get pretty "funky" in the hot/dry summer months...This has no real ill effects on the consumption of the fish...If you are referring to chemical (dirty, murky, mucky) contamination ... Then do not consume the fish!

Suggest you listen to, and follow the advice of the "locals" as well as the State/Federal Wildlife Department in your area about consuming fish from this river....

Good Luck!

Your Department of Natural Resources probably has a list of rivers that are unsafe to fish in. Some rivers have mercury/PCBs and fish from those rivers shouldn't be eaten at all, or there may be warnings about how many times a week someone should eat those fish.

Some of those chemicals are particularly bad for children and expectant moms.

Yeah, I'd check with the state Wildlife dept and see what they say.
The creek I walk my dogs in/by has signs warning fishers to only eat 1 fish a week
from the creek, due to PCBs or something.
Kinda sad.

First thing is to check with your department of wildlife to check on any consumption advisories.

I fish for catfish in a river here that seems to turn into a mudflow and thicken as the year goes on. Just joking but it is really muddy. If your fish taste muddy it may be that they are not being cleaned properly. You have to make sure that they are skinned and that you cut the "mud vein" out. The mud vein is any meat that appears yellow. This is actually the fat storage for the fish and is often the culprit when fish taste muddy. I have had fish that I cut very little meat away, and some fish that I loose 4-6 oz of meat. You have to be sure to cut this away.

I have a fish fry every year for about 30 people. I never get complaints about off flavors. Virtually every fish I serve comes from that river.

P.S. Another reason to cut away the fat is this it where many contaminates might be stored in the fish.

Last edited:
i wouldn't try it, myself. muddy-waters fish taste like mud smells, in my humble opinion.

I lived in Pennsylvania for a number of years, on a number of occasions. I fished...a lot. Eaten catfish out of muddy water, no problem. However, back in the seventies, a company dumped thousands of gallons of kepone, used in pesticides, I believe, into Big Spring Creek, near State College/Bellefonte. It poisoned most of the fish, and the few that remained were considered extremely unsafe to eat. Devastated one of the most beautiful, pristine limestone creeks in the state. Find out what kind of dirty the water is before you drop a line.

Mmmm - go fishing, catch the fish, count them up and then, THROW THEM BACK into the dirty, murky and mucky water!

If you would not drink the water in which the fish swim, then why eat the fish from the water that you would not drink? After all, what do you think passes through the gills and body of the fish you are catching in the "dirty and murky and mucky" water?

Archiduc

About those contaminants; It is believed by many that the fatty portions of fish store most of the contaminants found in fish. Until relatively recently (within the last year or so), I believed the same thing. Careful research, and becoming friends with a biologist, who just happens to love fly fishing, has taught me more accurate accurate information. Some toxins, such as PCB's (a substance used in large electric transformers by the power companies) are indeed stored in the fatty tissues, including the dark areas such as directly under the dorsal fin and along the belly in tuna and salmonids. Mercury and other heavy metals, such as arsenic, lead, etc., are stored in the muscle tissue. And so, the toxic substances found in the water you will be fishing in will help determine prep techniques, and which fish are safe to eat, and what quantity is safe. As a general rule, the higher you go in the food chain, the greater is the accumulation of toxins. Muskies are the top predator in the Great Lakes and contain the highest amount of toxins; while less predatory fish such as whitefish, perch, and smelt are virtually free of toxins. I can eat as many perch as I desire, withing reason of course, and know that I am safe. But if I eat members of the pike family, or even many of the trout or salmon family, depending in what waters I catch them in, I need to watch my consumption. If I eat only deep water Lake Superior fish, I am eating very safe fish. But If I eat from many of the inland lakes, since they are generally more contaminated, the fish contain more toxins.

And remember, not all toxins are introduced by people. There are microbial nasties that will get you plenty sick if you don't cook yoru fish properly. Also, minerals such as mercury and lead occur naturally in many places and are absormed as methyl mercury and lead by plants, which are eaten by fish, which are eaten by larger fish, and thus, contamination is present in what appears to be a pristine body of water.

Check with your local fish and game experts. Adn do some careful study about fish contamination. There is more info on the WWW than you would believe. And if you are of a scientific background, then there are professional documents that you may be interested in reading as well.

Seeeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Gadzooks, actually the brown trout thrived in Spring Creek after the Mirex contamination. The population flourished and even the mayflies seemed to do a little better since the no-kill regs were put on Spring Creek. Eating a fish out of that creek though is a horse of a different color. A lot of it would depend if you are done spawning or not. Pre-spawn humans need to be careful. Listen to the local wildlife agencies and heed those warnings.

A few years ago a biologist told the tale of trying to detect PCB action limits in fish in Lake Ontario. They fed a whole fish into the "Bassomatic" and when it was properly homogenized they analyzed a sample for PCBs. They were above the limit. Next they filleted a fish, homogenized the fillets and sampled. The PCBs were lower but still above the action limit. Then they deep fried the fillets and again sampled. The PCBs were well below the action limit. They then sampled the deep fryer oil and found they had to dispose of it as a hazardous waste.

Good luck to the brothers and sisters of the angle. Heading out next week for a week of r&r trout fishing with maybe some crappie and perch thrown in. Hope for good weather, good mayflies, good friends, good food, fine scotch and a couple of good cigars.

Soaking the fillets in water, milk or buttermil can hhelp that. A lot depends on when the fish was harvested, how long it was in the store etc. It's been a while since I cooked catfish but I think the last time I soaked them in water and a couple of drops of lemon juice in the refirgerator for a couple of hours. Then I breaded and fried them. I don't know what I am doing in the office today. After writing that and thinking about those golden brown fillets I want to grab the road and head to the river.

I know this is a little past prime discussion, but I'd recommend looking at the recommendations for eating salt water fish that might contain mercury. The Govt warns against eating tuna more so than salmon. I believe part of it is the fatty build up mentioned earlier and also the age of the fish. Some fish get big relatively fast, so you could catch and eat a young big fish that has only had 1 year to accumulate a toxin in its body, while a small old fish might have been marinating in a given toxin for 10 years.

Back
Top Bottom