"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Food and Kitchen Safety

Old 09-12-2014, 05:18 PM   #31
Head Chef

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
Depending on what it is, we will leave things out overnight and usually have it for breakfast. Seafood is one thing that will be put away as soon as it cools off. We had red beans and rice the other night. It was left out over night and we both ate it for breakfast. The leftovers were put in the fridge. Been doing this for decades with no problems. But if you don't feel comfortable doing this, by all means toss it.
Leaving cooked rice out overnight surprises me. I thought most people know that the longer cooked rice is left out at room temperature, the more likely it is that bacteria and toxins could make the rice unsafe to eat!

Old 09-12-2014, 05:52 PM   #32
Master Chef

Anyone who has intentionally left food out over night "for decades" without getting sick needs a wake up call.

All of us here have the luxury of refrigeration so why would a person do that? It only proves that one has been lucky enough to dodge the bullet on many occasions. There's nothing smart about that.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 05:59 PM   #33
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative View Post
Leaving cooked rice out overnight surprises me. I thought most people know that the longer cooked rice is left out at room temperature, the more likely it is that bacteria and toxins could make the rice unsafe to eat!
I have never heard that one. But then I never have leftover rice. It goes fast in this family.
Old 09-12-2014, 06:05 PM   #34
Head Chef

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I have never heard that one. But then I never have leftover rice. It goes fast in this family.
I thought it was common knowledge...
http://www.abc.net.au/health/talking...27/2475255.htm
Old 09-12-2014, 06:12 PM   #35
Master Chef

Thanks for that link Creative. I knew about rice but it apparently some don't.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 06:31 PM   #36
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Thanks for that link Creative. I knew about rice but it apparently some don't.
True and I was one of them. I don't leave food sitting out to cool. I want to get the kitchen cleaned as fast as possible, so the food goes into the fridge while it is still warm. If it is a left over soup or stew, some goes right into freezer bags for a later day. The rest goes right into containers for the fridge. I figure with all the stirring, it has cooled down enough for the fridge.
Old 09-12-2014, 06:46 PM   #37
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I had never heard of rice going bad because it was left out until I read it here. I have done it for decades. I just read the link that Creative posted. I noticed that the picture was of white rice.

I did some Googling. I couldn't find much about how to kill the spores of b. cereus. I did find this, "...heating at 100C for 5 minutes results in cellular damage to the membranes and ribosomes" from Bacillus cereus - Pathogen Safety Data Sheets - Public Health Agency of Canada.

That explains it. I only cook brown rice. I boil it for 7 minutes. Then I turn down the heat to simmer for 35-50 minutes, depending on the type of rice. I'm sure it boils for another minute or more, since I have an electric stove. I worked out the 7 minutes for this particular stove. On gas stoves, I used to boil it for 10 minutes.
Old 09-12-2014, 08:03 PM   #38
Chef Extraordinaire

When I lived in Northern Germany, the laundry room/pantry was were food went overnight. Mind you, this was in the winter and the house did not have central heating. Dairy always went in the fridge, but leftover soups, meats, potatoes, veggies went on the shelf in that room. There was no heat source in there. Our forecasted overnight temp is 6C tonight. I have had the windows at the farm open all week. I would have no problem leaving something out with the temps what they are (unless I decide to fire up the woodstove tonight).

The fridge was way too small to store leftovers. It is a cultural thing. I would have no qualms about eating the stew. I suppose after 12 hours, one could temp the stew and then go from there. I have never had food poisoning. Blood poisoning, yes, but never food poisoning.

Totally off topic, but a friend of mine from Poland can't get her head around that North Americans leave butter out--it's a dairy product! I use a butter keeper in the winter, but keep butter in the fridge in the warmer months.
Old 09-12-2014, 08:25 PM   #39
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Anyone who has intentionally left food out over night "for decades" without getting sick needs a wake up call.

All of us here have the luxury of refrigeration so why would a person do that? It only proves that one has been lucky enough to dodge the bullet on many occasions. There's nothing smart about that.
No, I don't. Paranoia isn't something I am inflicted with. What you choose to do, doesn't mean I must follow suit.
Old 09-12-2014, 09:11 PM   #40
Chef Extraordinaire

I just keep an eye on my butter. If I see it is getting too soft, I will put it in the fridge for a short time then back out on the counter. I do have a metal butter dish that has a cover and holds two sticks. So it keeps the butter cooler for a littler longer when I remove it back to the counter.

Tags
food