Food Left Out, Spoilage concern

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh no. You do realize that isn't how it works on DC, right? ;)

First, someone will answer your question. Then several others will come along and say more or less the same thing. Then there will be the dissenting opinion, followed by at least a page and a half of bickering. After some time, Addie will chime in with an off topic anecdotal story involving Pooh and a pirate (or some such), and how EVERYONE in New England leaves their chowder out overnight.

Things may or may not ever swing back to the original topic at this point. But never fear, because some eight or nine years in the future, it will all be dredged up again by a DC newcomer who didn't see the date on the thread and assumes you are still waiting for an answer.

That's how we roll here at DC, so please play along! :LOL:

Steve! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Depending on what it is, we will leave things out overnight and usually have it for breakfast. Seafood is one thing that will be put away as soon as it cools off. We had red beans and rice the other night. It was left out over night and we both ate it for breakfast. The leftovers were put in the fridge. Been doing this for decades with no problems. But if you don't feel comfortable doing this, by all means toss it.

First, someone will answer your question. Then several others will come along and say more or less the same thing. Then there will be the dissenting opinion, followed by at least a page and a half of bickering. After some time, Addie will chime in with an off topic anecdotal story involving Pooh and a pirate (or some such), and how EVERYONE in New England leaves their chowder out overnight.

Things may or may not ever swing back to the original topic at this point. But never fear, because some eight or nine years in the future, it will all be dredged up again by a DC newcomer who didn't see the date on the thread and assumes you are still waiting for an answer.

:LOL: I busted up laughing and scared my cat! :LOL::ROFLMAO:

btw, I would heat up the stew and eat it. Especially since it was left out in a cool kitchen. :)

Thanks again for your replies. I have boiled it and it is simmering now. Am sure it will be fine.
icon_thumleft.gif
489992.gif

Post of the year!

Depending on what it is, we will leave things out overnight and usually have it for breakfast. Seafood is one thing that will be put away as soon as it cools off. We had red beans and rice the other night. It was left out over night and we both ate it for breakfast. The leftovers were put in the fridge. Been doing this for decades with no problems. But if you don't feel comfortable doing this, by all means toss it.

You leave it out purposely?

As to the question. I most likely reheat it to boiling, then cool and store or eat. Or both.
I have forgotten cooling foods on my counter on several occasions. Sometimes I remember in the middle of the night and get up and put it in the fridge.
This has happened with meats as well.

My ex MIL always told me to remember about all the cultures that have no refrigeration. Open markets and such.
They hand meat out in the hot sun with flies all over it and people are buying and eating it.
I doubt very seriously that pot of stew is unsafe.
I would just bring it up to temp before using it.

Last edited:
I doubt very seriously that pot of stew is unsafe.
I would just bring it up to temp before using it.
Yeah it was more a need for confirmation that I asked about this. (Throwing it out was not really gonna be an option). So I brought it up to temp...simmered and ate it. Now just hoping the stew doesn't bring itself up ;)

I am so glad I didn't have any coffee in my mouth when I read that. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::LOL:

Please advise! I forgot to put the freshly made pot of stew in the fridge last night. I woke up and found it still sitting in the cool kitchen (I was waiting for it to cool down). Of course I immediately placed it in the fridge. (I have a fridge thermometer and so my fridge is always kept at the right temp). It is just some cooked stewing steak (beef) with lots of cooked veg in a thick gravy.

I have lost my sense of smell so am a bit nervous about detecting whether it will be safe to heat up today. I think it should be OK as the meat has been cooked.

Do members think it will be safe to heat up and eat this evening?

Given the average temperature overnight here in the UK at the moment it should be OK but make sure you heat it thoroughly before eating it. I've left things to cool overnight in the current climate and had no ill effects.

(NB I would not give the same advice to a question from other parts of the world, such as parts of America, where temperatures are higher.)

EDIT: Sorry, I posted this before I realised that others had got there first. Just view my post as reassurance.

Last edited:
:ohmy: Leaving cooked rice out overnight surprises me. I thought most people know that the longer cooked rice is left out at room temperature, the more likely it is that bacteria and toxins could make the rice unsafe to eat! :(

Anyone who has intentionally left food out over night "for decades" without getting sick needs a wake up call.

All of us here have the luxury of refrigeration so why would a person do that? It only proves that one has been lucky enough to dodge the bullet on many occasions. There's nothing smart about that.

:ohmy: Leaving cooked rice out overnight surprises me. I thought most people know that the longer cooked rice is left out at room temperature, the more likely it is that bacteria and toxins could make the rice unsafe to eat! :(

I have never heard that one. But then I never have leftover rice. It goes fast in this family. :angel:

Thanks for that link Creative. I knew about rice but it apparently some don't.

True and I was one of them. I don't leave food sitting out to cool. I want to get the kitchen cleaned as fast as possible, so the food goes into the fridge while it is still warm. If it is a left over soup or stew, some goes right into freezer bags for a later day. The rest goes right into containers for the fridge. I figure with all the stirring, it has cooled down enough for the fridge. :angel:

I had never heard of rice going bad because it was left out until I read it here. I have done it for decades. I just read the link that Creative posted. I noticed that the picture was of white rice.

I did some Googling. I couldn't find much about how to kill the spores of b. cereus. I did find this, "...heating at 100°C for 5 minutes results in cellular damage to the membranes and ribosomes" from Bacillus cereus - Pathogen Safety Data Sheets - Public Health Agency of Canada.

That explains it. I only cook brown rice. I boil it for 7 minutes. Then I turn down the heat to simmer for 35-50 minutes, depending on the type of rice. I'm sure it boils for another minute or more, since I have an electric stove. I worked out the 7 minutes for this particular stove. On gas stoves, I used to boil it for 10 minutes.

When I lived in Northern Germany, the laundry room/pantry was were food went overnight. Mind you, this was in the winter and the house did not have central heating. Dairy always went in the fridge, but leftover soups, meats, potatoes, veggies went on the shelf in that room. There was no heat source in there. Our forecasted overnight temp is 6C tonight. I have had the windows at the farm open all week. I would have no problem leaving something out with the temps what they are (unless I decide to fire up the woodstove tonight).

The fridge was way too small to store leftovers. It is a cultural thing. I would have no qualms about eating the stew. I suppose after 12 hours, one could temp the stew and then go from there. I have never had food poisoning. Blood poisoning, yes, but never food poisoning.

Totally off topic, but a friend of mine from Poland can't get her head around that North Americans leave butter out--it's a dairy product! I use a butter keeper in the winter, but keep butter in the fridge in the warmer months.

Last edited:
Anyone who has intentionally left food out over night "for decades" without getting sick needs a wake up call.

All of us here have the luxury of refrigeration so why would a person do that? It only proves that one has been lucky enough to dodge the bullet on many occasions. There's nothing smart about that.

No, I don't. Paranoia isn't something I am inflicted with. What you choose to do, doesn't mean I must follow suit.:rolleyes:

I just keep an eye on my butter. If I see it is getting too soft, I will put it in the fridge for a short time then back out on the counter. I do have a metal butter dish that has a cover and holds two sticks. So it keeps the butter cooler for a littler longer when I remove it back to the counter. :angel:

Back
Top Bottom