Food Myths Debunked

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
COOL THREAD!!!! Thanks for starting it GG, and for you and Mozart to help debunking stuff!

I am particularly pleased, because I have always done things that were deemed okay years ago, but not okay later, that may REALLY have been okay all along.

(I need Jeekins' popcorn emoticon for this).

Lee

then, there's the wood board that has a blood channel that is exclusively used for roasts.
i love the blood channel when there's a rare roast beast of some sort in the center...

ttthhhhssssssiiiippppp.

I prefer to think of the channel as a "meat juices" channel, BT! ;)

Lee

I have two of those, a rectangular one and a square one, love em both. Also have a granite/marble one (not sure which it is we inherited it) that is used exclusively by the wife for doughs and pastries and such.
We also have a square glass one, couldn't tell you where we got it or why, but it just sits by the coffee maker as decoration, never been used.

COOL THREAD!!!! Thanks for starting it GG, and for you and Mozart to help debunking stuff!

I am particularly pleased, because I have always done things that were deemed okay years ago, but not okay later, that may REALLY have been okay all along.

Lee

Here is one for you...
popcorn.gif

Pasteurized in-the-shell eggs are available in supermarkets.

Interesting, I didn't know that, but Mozart said fresh eggs....
And everyone knows the only way to get fresh eggs to to grow them yourself ;)
I'll have to ask "my girls" if they are pasteurizing my eggs before laying them :LOL:
This one is saying, Huh?! :huh:

Attachments

• bufforphead.JPG
    bufforphead.JPG
    9.5 KB · Views: 108
In my opinion, both wood and plastic are equally safe to use. Each has good points and bad points. That is why I like to keep both in my kitchen.

I enjoyed reading the rest of the article too, although I do not agree with all the temps they mentioned. I will not be cooking all of my meat to 180. That is just insane. I also think they are a little off on the danger zone temps. They say 45 degrees for the low side is OK, but I have always gone with 40.

It seems the FDA has been going back and forth within 3 degrees for a few years now. The company I work for says one thing, the board of health in NYC says another thing.. At some point, I just decided to go with 40-140 and be consistent.
As far as cooking meat to 180, you cannot pay me to cook meat that high. If I am sure it's been handled well, I'll cook rare every time.

I think that is only half the truth. I have heard that a million times, but I have equally heard that wood boards are safer than plastic.

I'm pretty sure I've never heard anyone say wood boards are safer than plastic. I'm planning to do an unscientific survey of the 15 or so people in my office tomorrow, though.

About ten years or so ago I kept hearing that plastic boards were better than wood boards, and that most wood boards even newer ones and properly cleaned ones were a health hazard. In the last couple of years I have been hearing the opposite, and that the cuts in the plastic boards can harbor all kinds of nasties.
I never left my wood boards, still use them today and prefer them over any of the others.

I'm pretty sure I've never heard anyone say wood boards are safer than plastic. I'm planning to do an unscientific survey of the 15 or so people in my office tomorrow, though.
No need to ask your co-workers. Just do a search here. This is a topic that has come up countless times and the verdict is always split just about 50/50.

ok, so i learned something this weekend. thanks to gg, mozart, and the internet.

commercial mayo by itself is a relatively safe product, even at room temp. it has enough acid to inhibit growth the of yuckies on itself. if you do get sick from eating a mayo incorporated product, it was probably from the other ingredients, usually the meats or fish.

here's a good site about how to be safe if you're making your own: MAYONNAISE, BERNAISE AND HOLLANDAISE SAUCES

Lee

It's not popcorn...they're deep fried parasites.
img_551874_0_2c868757e4ff1c4b8137794bb8e47646.gif

Anyway. A majority of those "issues" have to deal with the manufacturer or packaging plant. How the heck would Mrs. Crabtree next door know if one of her eggs has salmonilla<sp> in it or not? That whole page is still an authors opinion for the most part.

You hear crap like that on the news every morning: "Tests have showed eating carrots can be harmful to your health." Then 2 weeks later carrots are good for you. Gimme a break. If you followed all this junk, you'd be eating mushy veggies and tough meat all the time. And empty out half of the food in your house because it's bad for you.

It's not popcorn...they're deep fried parasites.
img_551897_0_2c868757e4ff1c4b8137794bb8e47646.gif

Anyway. A majority of those "issues" have to deal with the manufacturer or packaging plant. How the heck would Mrs. Crabtree next door know if one of her eggs has salmonilla<sp> in it or not? That whole page is still an authors opinion for the most part.

You hear crap like that on the news every morning: "Tests have showed eating carrots can be harmful to your health." Then 2 weeks later carrots are good for you. Gimme a break. If you followed all this junk, you'd be eating mushy veggies and tough meat all the time. And empty out half of the food in your house because it's bad for you.

Sorry Jeekins. These "authors opinions" come from a State Department of Health. GGs myth page is based on data and science as opposed to your apparent "Don't worry, be happy" attitude.

These discussions are not like "milk or no milk in our scrambled eggs", and shouldn't be treated as such.

No need to ask your co-workers. Just do a search here. This is a topic that has come up countless times and the verdict is always split just about 50/50.

Most of my co-workers don't cook, so I'm interested in what they've heard and believe about it.

Sorry Jeekins. These "authors opinions" come from a State Department of Health. GGs myth page is based on data and science as opposed to your apparent "Don't worry, be happy" attitude.

These discussions are not like "milk or no milk in our scrambled eggs", and shouldn't be treated as such.

And I bet you could find a different State Department that would disagree at some point with that one.

I'm very carefull in the kitchen, but do not feed into "The sky is falling" mentality....IMHO.

....how about some non FDA approved squirrel? HUH?

"And I bet you could find a different State Department that would disagree at some point with that one."

Of course, on minor points, like the difference between 40 and 45 degrees being a safe storage temp.

But not on the major points.

The purpose of this part of the board is to discuss food safety.

You seem to be saying basically, "It's all just opinion, so why bother reading or understanding."

We could go round and round on this all day long. My point was, people like to take things like this to the extreme, when there is no need to. I like my burgers medium rare, will that kill me?....No. But if the meat packer does not follow their federal mandated rules and regulations, there is a chance I'll get sick from contamination. WE as the END USER have absolutely no control over that.

Back
Top Bottom