Food Myths Debunked

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We could go round and round on this all day long. My point was, people like to take things like this to the extreme, when there is no need to. I like my burgers medium rare, will that kill me?....No. But if the meat packer does not follow their federal mandated rules and regulations, there is a chance I'll get sick from contamination. WE as the END USER have absolutely no control over that.

Jeekinz, this is about educating people, not about where the issues originated. I don't think being aware of the science of food is taking things to an extreme, and knowing that, for example, there is no such thing as a 24-hour flu bug might make some people think twice about how they handle their food. I think that's a good thing.

We could go round and round on this all day long. My point was, people like to take things like this to the extreme, when there is no need to. I like my burgers medium rare, will that kill me?....No. But if the meat packer does not follow their federal mandated rules and regulations, there is a chance I'll get sick from contamination. WE as the END USER have absolutely no control over that.

Yes, jeekinz, it might kill you like those 4 kids at the Jack-in-the-Box, who got E coli 0157:H7 from undercooked burgers, and the many who almost died and have had their kidneys permanently damaged.

Your control over that as an end user is very clear and very effective; Don't eat hamburger with an interior temp under 165 degrees.

That's what this site is all about. Helping the end user to be as safe a possible.

I learned many useful informations about cutting boards from this thread becuase we don't use any cutting board because we bengalis use boti others use their thumb instead of cutting boards.

radhuni what is boti?

A thumb can work well for small items like a carrot, but what about large items like cutting up a chicken or a roast?

We can cut or chop large fish with boti.

You can see this thread

We generally don't chop meat in our home, we buy it in chopped condition from market and butcher chop meat on a large log. Another important thing is the Indian communities, who use knife are mainly veg.

We are nonveg and we use boti.

That is interesting. Let the butcher worry about how do disinfect his cutting board/log.
What you can't see can't hurt you, right? :LOL:

radhuni, in the US it is typically cheaper to buy the meat and cut it yourself.
Unless you're Rachel Ray, who tries to buy everything ready to hit the pan right out of the package :ermm:

We could go round and round on this all day long. My point was, people like to take things like this to the extreme, when there is no need to. I like my burgers medium rare, will that kill me?....No..

Well, actually it could.

Even healthy people can die of ecoli. Or be on kidney dialisis for the rest of their life. It's a risk you can decide to take or not, but it's a risk nevertheless.

BYW, have you tried them? I'm interested if the process effects the taste.

Thanks.

I have yet to find them here, as a matter of fact. If I could, I would definitely buy some -- although for the express purpose of eating them raw. But I guess I'd have to cook some, too.

The stocker in my store assured me that Eggland's were pasteurized because "organic and pasteurized are the same thing." Uh, thanks. Not.

I have yet to find them here, as a matter of fact. If I could, I would definitely buy some -- although for the express purpose of eating them raw. But I guess I'd have to cook some, too.

The stocker in my store assured me that Eggland's were pasteurized because "organic and pasteurized are the same thing." Uh, thanks. Not.

maybe they thought it was pasture-ised!!

maybe they thought it was pasture-ised!!

:LOL:
Yeah, like that commercial where the cowboys are herding cats :LOL: A bunch of chickens grazing in a pasture.... Sure, they're pasturized :wacko:..... not that the chickens wouldn't like that.

Pasture Chicken ... MMmmmmm ... Good eating, I have to use a thermometer when cooking, after all the industrial chicken I've eaten I have a hard time thinking pasture chicken has been cooked because it's so tender.

On Topic:

I have 4 cutting boards and a bread board. One plastic the rest wood.

The plastic gets used for everything but it's small enough to sink wash between uses/ materials.

The round 14 inch end grain bamboo is heavy and used with the cleaver. On occasion I use the flip side to serve non juicy things. Scrubbed between uses. On occasion I rub it with mineral oil.

The third board .... tiny thing, I don't remember the last time I used it. I keep it around because it's the one I took to school.

The last board is a cherry countertop piece 25x36 inches. I use to use it to cut on but at $grumble I got tired of marking it up.

Once a year or so, during the summer, I pull the countertop board, take it outside, scrub it, let it dry for a day, then rub in a solution of bees wax and mineral oil. I leave the board in the sun and reapply the solution till the board can't take anymore.

What's interesting is even after a year with numerous wash ups I can still scrape wax off the board.

Point of the wax and oil is to seal against water and provide a non growth medium to bacteria. Sure bacteria is still present but it's not doing anything but waiting.

Anyone else treat their boards with more than 'soap' and water?

>>>

BTW, Largest meat recall is on the news. Wow, the recall goes back to 2006, the slaughterhouse supplies meat to the school lunch program.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom