"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Food and Kitchen Safety

Old 02-17-2008, 01:09 PM   #31
Master Chef

About ten years or so ago I kept hearing that plastic boards were better than wood boards, and that most wood boards even newer ones and properly cleaned ones were a health hazard. In the last couple of years I have been hearing the opposite, and that the cuts in the plastic boards can harbor all kinds of nasties.
I never left my wood boards, still use them today and prefer them over any of the others.

Old 02-17-2008, 01:13 PM   #32
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I'm pretty sure I've never heard anyone say wood boards are safer than plastic. I'm planning to do an unscientific survey of the 15 or so people in my office tomorrow, though.
No need to ask your co-workers. Just do a search here. This is a topic that has come up countless times and the verdict is always split just about 50/50.

Old 02-17-2008, 01:54 PM   #33
Certified Pretend Chef

Another source to consider...
Old 02-18-2008, 02:18 AM   #34
Chef Extraordinaire

ok, so i learned something this weekend. thanks to gg, mozart, and the internet.

commercial mayo by itself is a relatively safe product, even at room temp. it has enough acid to inhibit growth the of yuckies on itself. if you do get sick from eating a mayo incorporated product, it was probably from the other ingredients, usually the meats or fish.

here's a good site about how to be safe if you're making your own: MAYONNAISE, BERNAISE AND HOLLANDAISE SAUCES

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 08:55 AM   #35
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by QSis View Post
COOL THREAD!!!! Thanks for starting it GG, and for you and Mozart to help debunking stuff!

I am particularly pleased, because I have always done things that were deemed okay years ago, but not okay later, that may REALLY have been okay all along.

(I need Jeekins' popcorn emoticon for this).

Lee
It's not popcorn...they're deep fried parasites.
Anyway. A majority of those "issues" have to deal with the manufacturer or packaging plant. How the heck would Mrs. Crabtree next door know if one of her eggs has salmonilla<sp> in it or not? That whole page is still an authors opinion for the most part.

You hear crap like that on the news every morning: "Tests have showed eating carrots can be harmful to your health." Then 2 weeks later carrots are good for you. Gimme a break. If you followed all this junk, you'd be eating mushy veggies and tough meat all the time. And empty out half of the food in your house because it's bad for you.
Old 02-18-2008, 09:48 AM   #36
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeekinz View Post
It's not popcorn...they're deep fried parasites.
Anyway. A majority of those "issues" have to deal with the manufacturer or packaging plant. How the heck would Mrs. Crabtree next door know if one of her eggs has salmonilla<sp> in it or not? That whole page is still an authors opinion for the most part.

You hear crap like that on the news every morning: "Tests have showed eating carrots can be harmful to your health." Then 2 weeks later carrots are good for you. Gimme a break. If you followed all this junk, you'd be eating mushy veggies and tough meat all the time. And empty out half of the food in your house because it's bad for you.
Sorry Jeekins. These "authors opinions" come from a State Department of Health. GGs myth page is based on data and science as opposed to your apparent "Don't worry, be happy" attitude.

These discussions are not like "milk or no milk in our scrambled eggs", and shouldn't be treated as such.
Old 02-18-2008, 10:03 AM   #37
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
No need to ask your co-workers. Just do a search here. This is a topic that has come up countless times and the verdict is always split just about 50/50.
Most of my co-workers don't cook, so I'm interested in what they've heard and believe about it.
Old 02-18-2008, 10:51 AM   #38
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by mozart View Post
Sorry Jeekins. These "authors opinions" come from a State Department of Health. GGs myth page is based on data and science as opposed to your apparent "Don't worry, be happy" attitude.

These discussions are not like "milk or no milk in our scrambled eggs", and shouldn't be treated as such.
And I bet you could find a different State Department that would disagree at some point with that one.

I'm very carefull in the kitchen, but do not feed into "The sky is falling" mentality....IMHO.

....how about some non FDA approved squirrel? HUH?
Old 02-18-2008, 11:14 AM   #39
Senior Cook

"And I bet you could find a different State Department that would disagree at some point with that one."

Of course, on minor points, like the difference between 40 and 45 degrees being a safe storage temp.

But not on the major points.

The purpose of this part of the board is to discuss food safety.

You seem to be saying basically, "It's all just opinion, so why bother reading or understanding."
Old 02-18-2008, 11:30 AM   #40
Executive Chef

We could go round and round on this all day long. My point was, people like to take things like this to the extreme, when there is no need to. I like my burgers medium rare, will that kill me?....No. But if the meat packer does not follow their federal mandated rules and regulations, there is a chance I'll get sick from contamination. WE as the END USER have absolutely no control over that.