Food Myths Debunked

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GotGarlic

Chef Extraordinaire
23 Food Myths from the State of Alaska Food Safety and Sanitation Program:
Food Myths

Especially, #15, safety of mayonnaise.

The truth about wooden versus plastic cutting boards, from UC-Davis faculty research: UC-Davis Food Safety Laboratory: Cutting Board Research :
"We soon found that disease bacteria such as these were not recoverable from wooden surfaces in a short time after they were applied, unless very large numbers were used. New plastic surfaces allowed the bacteria to persist, but were easily cleaned and disinfected. However, wooden boards that had been used and had many knife cuts acted almost the same as new wood, whereas plastic surfaces that were knife-scarred were impossible to clean and disinfect manually, especially when food residues such as chicken fat were present. Scanning electron micrographs revealed highly significant damage to plastic surfaces from knife cuts."

gg, respectfully, they used manual cleaning, or just scrubbing with a sponge and soap and water.

if you put your plastic cutting board in a dishwasher, they are far safer than wooden boards.

if you put a wooden board in a dishwaher, it won't be long before it cracks and becomes useless.

gg, respectfully, they used manual cleaning, or just scrubbing with a sponge and soap and water.

if you put your plastic cutting board in a dishwasher, they are far safer than wooden boards.

if you put a wooden board in a dishwaher, it won't be long before it cracks and becomes useless.

(copied from the other thread, where it was too off-topic; sorry 'bout that)

But the point is that plastic is not *better*. You don't have to put a wood board in the dishwasher to sanitize it - it essentially sanitizes itself. I can't find the reference now, but I have also read that the more a plastic board is used, the more knife cuts it sustains, and the more difficult it is to sanitize it, even in the dishwasher, because the water can't get deep enough into the cuts.

Meanwhile, a wooden cutting board has inherent sanitizing properties. Again, I can't find the ref. now, (dangit!) but I have read that the dryness of the wood sucks the moisture out of the bacteria, killing them. Plastic doesn't do this.

I've written this here before - the way I clean my wood cutting board is to spray it with a solution of white vinegar, lemon juice and water, let sit a few minutes, then wipe any crumbs, etc., into the trash. Done. It's ready to use again and I don't have to wait for a dishwasher cycle.

In my opinion, both wood and plastic are equally safe to use. Each has good points and bad points. That is why I like to keep both in my kitchen.

I enjoyed reading the rest of the article too, although I do not agree with all the temps they mentioned. I will not be cooking all of my meat to 180. That is just insane. I also think they are a little off on the danger zone temps. They say 45 degrees for the low side is OK, but I have always gone with 40.

I have a white plastic cutting board I'm guessing is about 1/2" thick. I remember the tag on it saying it was NOT dishwasher safe. I take it they make ones that are now?
I'm going to be in the market soon as I want to "assign" uses to my various boards.

I use both also. Since I'm a vegetarian and the boy isn't, he has his own thick plastic cutting board for meats. We run it through the dishwasher, I also toss them after some time and buy a new one.

i shouldn't come across as being anti-wood, i'm just saying that these things don't need to be divided into myth and myth busting, but rather just understanding materials involved and thier proper and efficient use.

we have several wood boards that are used for veggies only; a nylon-ish dishwasher safe board just for raw meats, and another that i've marked one side for meats, the other for veggies exclusively.

(i wonder what unscientific, flawed test i can run to spin my point on that one? :smartass:)

then, there's the wood board that has a blood channel that is exclusively used for roasts.
i love the blood channel when there's a rare roast beast of some sort in the center...

ttthhhhssssssiiiippppp.

i shouldn't come across as being anti-wood, i'm just saying that these things don't need to be divided into myth and myth busting, but rather just understanding materials involved and thier proper and efficient use.

Well, we have the same ultimate goal, but I do believe that it's accurate to say that a myth exists that plastic boards are safer than wooden ones. I hear TV chefs say it all the time, which irritates me a lot :mad:

The same goes for the idea that mayo causes foods to spoil more quickly, when the opposite is true. What people generally don't understand is that it *used to be* true, back when people made their own homemade mayo from unpasteurized eggs. But now most people use commercial mayo, which is made from pasteurized eggs and often contains vinegar and lemon juice - acids that inhibit the growth of bacteria.

So I'm on a mission to spread the word about these myths :cool:

but, but... mayo = more moist surface area, as well as fats and proteins.

awww, nevermind.

I do believe that it's accurate to say that a myth exists that plastic boards are safer than wooden ones.
I think that is only half the truth. I have heard that a million times, but I have equally heard that wood boards are safer than plastic.

but, but... mayo = more moist surface area, as well as fats and proteins.

awww, nevermind.

Y'know, I really don't just make this stuff up. I work at a medical school, I'm married to a former scientist teacher who once taught experimental design, and I'm dealing with two chronic illnesses, one of which sometimes requires me to take drugs that depress my immune system. So I'm a big believer in evidence-based medicine, which is actually the name of a class taught by a friend of mine to medical and physician assistant students. I look for evidence to back up claim X, and if I find it from several credible sources, I tend to believe it.

re: mayo and spoilage:

Fun anecdote: My uncle and his wife sailed around the world with no refrigeration; it took seven years. They had various kinds of sandwiches with mayo all the time with no ill effects. She also made huge pots of soup and left them on the stove all day. Then she would boil them for five minutes before serving up some more, again with no ill effects. Yes, I know this isn't a legitimate study, but it's interesting nonetheless.

oops, forgive me. (i'm being sarcastic about the subject, not your life or experience ;)),

i didn't know that eating mold was better than eating bacteria. :cool:

ok, i will give you that this one, from what you just posted (i have to do more research on the pH of the acid in mayo) this seems to be somewhat of a myth, but bad practices will still lead you to problems. calling one thing or another a busted myth is really just advertising ignorance in another direction.

it's still not safe to eat mayo that been warm too long.

Last edited:
I know there is still such a thing as unpasteurized milk.. guy at the farmers market brings it mostly for a Muslim couple that requests it.

Well, we have the same ultimate goal, but I do believe that it's accurate to say that a myth exists that plastic boards are safer than wooden ones. I hear TV chefs say it all the time, which irritates me a lot :mad:

The same goes for the idea that mayo causes foods to spoil more quickly, when the opposite is true. What people generally don't understand is that it *used to be* true, back when people made their own homemade mayo from unpasteurized eggs. But now most people use commercial mayo, which is made from pasteurized eggs and often contains vinegar and lemon juice - acids that inhibit the growth of bacteria.

So I'm on a mission to spread the word about these myths :cool:

GG,

What you are saying is true. On a previous thread here about flavored mayo and butters I said:

"I still don't know if the OPs question dealt with fresh made or commercial Mayo. It would be nice if someone takes the time to post a question is she/he would follow up.

There is a ton of mis-information about mayo. Commercial Mayo is a relatively safe product, doesn't not "cause" food poisoning, and will not support significant bacterial growth even if left at room temperature.

The reason is that is has a ph of about 3, and anything below 4.5 is generally considered safe at room temp. Commercial mayo is mainly oil, pasteurized egg products, and vinegar or lemon juice. The refrigerator shelf life is mainly a quality issue, not a safety issue when it is left in its original state.

The two month throw out recommendation is when the quality will begin to be compromised.

Of course, it could just be a big conspiracy by Hellman's and Kraft to sell more mayo:ROFLMAO:"

Many restaurants that serve sandwiches during the lunch rush leave the mayo out in a container and are not given a violation by the health department upon inspection.

I too am interested in dispelling the myths, because they are dangerous in that they often take our focus away from what is important.

As to the safety zone temps, these change with jurisdictions. 45 degrees was a common standard for many years. 40 is now the federal guideline. Both have some "fudge factor" built in.

Did it ever seem odd to anyone that all these guidelines hit exactly on a 5 degree mark like 40, 45, 180 etc. Do you really think nature is ordered that way, in perfect 5 degree increments.

There is no perfect number, because different micro-organisms grow better at different temp and in different foods.

Having said that, I do think 40 is the "best" guideline, because it is easily obtainable and allows for a little "play" in the thermometer and different areas of the refrigerator.

we're not talking about beneficial molds, mav.

hey, i never thought to ask our more scientific members like mozart.

wolfie, what dangers exist with mold growth on room temp mayo? are they relatively harmless, unless you have an allergy to such?

we're not talking about beneficial molds, mav.

hey, i never thought to ask our more scientific members like mozart.

wolfie, what dangers exist with mold growth on room temp mayo? are they relatively harmless, unless you have an allergy to such?

Mold is not likely to grow in room temp mayo that is used within a reasonable time.

First, mold shouldn't be in the processed mayo. The spores would be introduced after the mayo is placed out, usually in a different container. This process takes time for growth, even at room temperature.

If you have ever left a cup of coffee on your desk over a holiday weekend you will have an idea of this process.

Mayo will begin to lose quality after a few hours at room temp and you can see the edges becoming opaque.

Anytime you see any mold on food, except hard cheese or salami it is best to just throw it out.

It is natures way of saying you did something wrong.

Back
Top Bottom