Food poisoning

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hungry

Senior Cook
From an E-mail I got tonight:

...Ed says that when food poisoning is reported, the first thing the officials
look for is when the 'victim' last ate ONIONS and where those onions came
from. Ed says it's not the mayonnaise (as long as it's not homemade Mayo)
that spoils in the outdoors. It's probably the onions, and if not the
onions, it's the POTATOES.. He explained, onions are a huge magnet for
bacteria, especially uncooked onions. You should never plan to keep a
portion of a sliced onion. He says it's not even safe if you put it in a
zip-lock bag and put it in your refrigerator...

You can read the complete article at: snopes.com: Cut Onion Contamination

I also GOOGLED "Mullins Food Products" this is a very large company with branches all over the world.

I don't have the URL 000 Just GOOGLE Mullins Food Products.

Enjoy,

Reading the Snopes.com review of the story, they state that no evidence seems to point in the direction of onions being dangerous. They point to its high acidity levels which make them an unlikely source of bacteria growth.

My take of the article is the same as Andy's. Old mayo has caused me many more problems than an old onion. Just my dos centavos.

On a recent episode of America's Test Kitchen they
made potato salad and made a point that when
people get sick from potato salad on a hot day it
is the potato not the mayo that is the cause.

I would doubt onions are the likely cause - they contain so much
sulfur it would deter bacteria growth.

My take of the article is the same as Andy's. Old mayo has caused me many more problems than an old onion. Just my dos centavos.

I believe potatoes are the most likely culprit in this scenario. Both onion and mayo are too acidic to promote bacterial growth.

I wonder if this is the same Ed that keeps sending me letters telling me I've won a million dollars??? I find just about the same amount of truth in both cases ...

Andy, I have always respected and tried to learn from your posts. But the lowly potato being the culprit when mayo is involved? Now you have challenged me to figure this out. (Well, if I remember it was something I wanted to do. :ROFLMAO:)

Andy, I have always respected and tried to learn from your posts. But the lowly potato being the culprit when mayo is involved? Now you have challenged me to figure this out. (Well, if I remember it was something I wanted to do. :ROFLMAO:)

Mayo is laden with preservatives unless you made it yourself. It is generally not the cause of food poisoning.

Thanks,

It's the neutral ph of the potato, not acidic or alkaline, that provides a good home for bacteria.

There is no way in h*** that anyone will EVER convince me that I'm setting myself up for food poisoning by keeping a cut onion in my fridge. Good grief - can't the food police find something better to do with their time?

There is no way in h*** that anyone will EVER convince me that I'm setting myself up for food poisoning by keeping a cut onion in my fridge. Good grief - can't the food police find something better to do with their time?

The link he posted contradicted what he said in his post.

With all due respect to the OP, I find it curious that the dire email warnings that I sometimes get regarding rampant, marauding viruses almost always say "this has been checked out on Snopes.com". Then, if I go and read Snopes.com, it turns out to be a hoax. Do people think we will not take the time to verify these things ourselves? Sorry, Hungry, but you should have read your source a little more carefully. There appears to be no scientific basis for your claims about onions.

Onion

I agree I used an onion tonight that had been in the fridge over three days!

Onions

With all due respect to the OP, I find it curious that the dire email warnings that I sometimes get regarding rampant, marauding viruses almost always say "this has been checked out on Snopes.com". Then, if I go and read Snopes.com, it turns out to be a hoax. Do people think we will not take the time to verify these things ourselves? Sorry, Hungry, but you should have read your source a little more carefully. There appears to be no scientific basis for your claims about onions.

I only wish more people would take time to verify the facts before they fill my inbox with unfounded stories. Yes, I could have been more selective in my post and reflected my concern about the mayonnaise. Not the onions or Potatoes

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom