"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Food and Kitchen Safety

Old 04-09-2013, 07:16 PM   #11
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by TATTRAT View Post
Fruitcakes don't have a shelf life, they have a half life.

Your eyes and nose, knows.
That is why it is a gift that keeps on being given! I think the same fruitcake was passed around for five years before someone opened it and "pickled" it.

Old 04-09-2013, 08:43 PM   #12
Head Chef

Fruitcakes are made to pass on from generation to generation.

Either recepie or the Fruitcake itself.

Old 06-22-2013, 03:34 AM   #13
Cook

I never got a chance to get back to this thread after I started it.

So you all think it's perfectly safe to store a fruitcake in the garage in drastically fluctuating temperatures? I thought that would cause bacteria to grow, especially in warm temperatures.

I've actually been so busy that I haven't made it over to Grandma's yet. I'm supposed to go this weekend. I'm anxious to see if the fruitcake is still in the garage.
Old 09-14-2013, 12:37 AM   #14
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj1 View Post
So Grandma ordered three small fruitcakes which were shipped to her at the end of December and were kept in a refrigerator. Sometime in early to mid January she took the fruitcakes out and soaked them in alcohol (Brandy, I think). She wrapped them up in either a cheese cloth or old t-shirt with an outer layer of aluminum foil. She put them on top the freezer in the garage where they are currently still sitting.

I'm wondering whether these would still be safe to eat? I'm sure she probably thinks they are and will insist that I try one. But considering they've been sitting on a freezer which probably gets warm and the outside temperature fluctuates, I can't imagine they'd be safe. The temperature in the garage has ranged from 25 degrees Fahrenheit to 70 degrees Fahrenheit. One day might be 40, the night might be 25, then the next day might be 70, then the night be 35. The temperatures around here have been crazy this year.

Do you think these fruitcakes would still be safe to eat? It's really the fluctuating temperatures that have me concerned, plus that they're sitting on top a freezer. It would seem like this would be the perfect breeding ground for bacteria. I would throw them away myself, but I know Grandma is gonna want me to taste one of them.
There is so much sugar in a rich fruitcake that it's unlikely that any bacteria would survive let alone when it came into contact with all that alcohol. Check it for mould before eating although I wouldn't expect to see it in this sort of cake. Ditto insects.

I've eaten Christmas fruitcake (made in November) in early summer and it's been fine. In fact rich fruit cakes actually improve with age. And we once ate a 5 year old Christmas pudding (similar ingredients) that we found at the back of a wardrobe and it was delicious - the best I'd ever made.
Old 09-14-2013, 02:23 AM   #15
Proud American

Romanian fruitcake is wrapped tightly after given the bath of alcohol and it remains to be edible without refrigeration.

I have eaten many of these and I am not dead yet. I think it will be all right.

Your friend,
~Cat

Tags
food