"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Food and Kitchen Safety

Old 01-18-2008, 10:40 AM   #1
Sous Chef

Food Warning - Lead in Red Wine and Balsamic Vinegars

To stay up to date on any harmful foods, I decided to start a thread (not sure if any others exist).

I recently read that California has labeled the Balsamic and Red Wine Vinegars as toxic in Proposition 65 (» Proposition 65 - Lead in Red Wine and Balsamic Vinegar) That is unsettling to me.

Feel free to chime in and update us all for other "unsafe" foods.

Old 01-18-2008, 11:44 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ Mikey View Post
To stay up to date on any harmful foods, I decided to start a thread (not sure if any others exist).

I recently read that California has labeled the Balsamic and Red Wine Vinegars as toxic in Proposition 65 (» Proposition 65 - Lead in Red Wine and Balsamic Vinegar) That is unsettling to me.

I don't know about you, but I probably don't consume 1-2 cups of either vinegar per week, much less per day

When you look a little further:
Napa Valley Naturals - Frequently Asked Questions

Why is there naturally occurring lead in some of your vinegars?

All balsamic and red wine vinegars contain naturally occurring lead. Lead is naturally absorbed by all things that grow in the ground, including the grapes used to make vinegar. Most balsamic and red wine vinegars have lead levels equal to or less than 34 parts per million. An average person would need to consume 1 to 2 cups of balsamic or red wine vinegar per day to reach the Proposition 65 lead level minimum threshold, which includes a 1000-fold safety margin. The relative danger from consuming balsamic and red wine vinegars is best compared to other products containing naturally occurring lead, consumed daily at far greater levels. For instance, one can readily consume more naturally occurring lead on a daily basis by drinking water and wine, and eating many types of vegetables, than by consuming even significant quantities of balsamic and red wine vinegars.

Old 01-18-2008, 11:54 AM   #3
Master Chef

I'm not too worried.

"The Spectrum Organics website (one of the vinegars said to be "unsafe")says “the Proposition 65 consumption quantity defined as no significant risk level for cancer was set at 15 micrograms per day. Lead is a naturally occurring element in some wine and balsamic vinegars. Based on the Company’s tests, a person would need to consume somewhere between 1.3-2.6 cups (270-630ml) daily of the Company’s various vinegar products to reach the Proposition 65 lead level.

Bill Targets State Food Label Warnings
Old 01-18-2008, 12:03 PM   #4
Everymom

Hey Mikey, great idea for a thread. This will really help us keep track of things.
Old 01-18-2008, 12:55 PM   #5
Assistant Cook

Balsamic Vinegar

Live in California and heard about this last year. Trader Joe's still has the vinegar last time I looked. Considering all that is toxic used to grow food this vinegar issue isn't something to be overly concerned about unless one is drinking glasses of the stuff each day. I'd be more concerned about the preservative sodium benzoate used is way too many foods.
Old 01-18-2008, 01:16 PM   #6
Sous Chef

I suppose it isnt overtly harmful to consume a bit of this Vinegar, but it is good to know that it should be used sparingly.
Old 01-18-2008, 04:00 PM   #7
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
This has been around for sometime, first came to light last year. You would need a LOT to have an ill effects, but then again, a lot of vinegar period, will do a number on you.

And agreed, great idea for a thread.
Old 01-19-2008, 01:59 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ Mikey View Post

Just a blog entry, not worried about it at all.
Old 01-19-2008, 09:23 PM   #9
Senior Cook

You think that's bad, how about DHMO??

Dihydrogen Monoxide Research Division - dihydrogen monoxide info
Old 01-26-2008, 11:30 AM   #10
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonflystars View Post
.... I'd be more concerned about the preservative sodium benzoate used is way too many foods.
One of the things that encouraged me to do even more of my own cooking was the time I saw a pallet of 80 pound sacks bearing Skull and Crossbones and the words FOOD GRADE.

Food Grade Poison ... Oh Yeah!