Frat .....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wart

Washing Up
I went to the health department.

They seem to believe the place needs a violation. AKA: Get caught with a smoking gun, as is were.

They also seemed happy someone such as myself brought this to their attention. Someone with a clue (I took the ServSafe exam Wednesday) who really just wants to clean up a kitchens act.

For those of you wondering why I work at the Frat 12 hours a week, if I couldn't get a job someplace else, and so on, I'm a Vet, worked on ICBMs, hold an Aircraft Mechanics License (Formerly the A&P), two degrees and am puttering towards a third. I don't need to put up with the situation for their chump change.

Its about making a difference and turning the place around.

Good for you, Wart. I'm glad you were met with interest and appreciation for your time and effort in going to them. Hopefully, they will make a few spot inspections without letting on you cued them in. Sounds like there are many folks that gather at this establishment for a lot of reasons. It would be a shame for something terrible to happen food-wise. I hope your efforts will help turn things around.

I've been reading this thread with interest, and because I didn't really have anything to contribute, I watched from a distance. But I do want to add my congratulations to you, Wart. That took alot of courage, and you did the right thing.

ok, so where's everyone that jumped all over wart for the frat stuff? they should be congratulating him.

way to go wart.

Good job, Wart. I know it took some courage to make your decision. I know you've thought through your move carefully. No doubt you will be responsible, in the end, for preventing innocent folks from getting ill. Bravo!

That's going to be a bit more difficult to do as I just got fired.

Bummer.

There is a meat loaf dinner tomorrow night, they are going to prepare the loaves tonight. I suspect they will put these loaves in disposable pans (that were saved from when they had something catered) then put the pans in a 40 degree walk in.

I was trying to establish that I was not welcome to take part in the preparation of the dinner. The Administrator saw this as another example of my trying to exert control. So he fired me.

Boo Hoo.

Far as turning this place in to the Health Department taking courage ... Ummmm, thanks for thinking that but really, it didn't take bravery. This place can't lock me up or curtail my civil rights, and they can only have as much impact on the rest of my life as I allow them to have.

Thing is, I've never had a problem taking a stand. I'm too bull headed. And my childhood TV hero was Mr. Spock.

There is fear though, fear of the cascade effect. As in IF the violations are bad enough to get the building closed THEN will planned participations in activities such as Relay for Life still take place?

If I take the first step I have to follow through.

I've taken the first step.

And when this Administrator fired me he threw me out of his office. Physically shoved me.

So now I guess when I get off the phone with the health department I'm going to go to the Sheriff and fill out a statement.

A question: If there is a leak in the washer drain line at the trap between the trap and the sewer count as a sewage leak?

Wart... sorry to hear that your boss didn't want to listen. You took the risk of speaking up and did the right thing.

One thing I dont understand is are you also a member of the Lodge? If so you will do better to get some other members who understand your concerns... I wouls also brow bag it to any functions ;) If you are not then I guess its up to the health dept. Anyway it does take courage to stand up and speak when people dont want to hear what you have to say.

I wonder ....

Yesterday was my scheduled boil out of the fryer.

I wonder how long it will take for their deep fryer(s) to look like this again:

Clicking the image will get you a larger version.

This isn't over by a long shot.

Don't feel bad for me. I'm sort of amused.

And how bad should you feel for someone who looses a 'job' where that person is getting paid for 8 to 12 hours but puts an additional 12 + (++?) hours in front work and cleaning?

Feel bad for those people I was cooking and cleaning for because I'm not going near the kitchen again.

Last edited:
My thoughts exactly, babe! Do you have a number of similar pics, Wart? Since they have already fired you, perhaps it's time to consider releasing them to TV news station or the local newspaper. At least people who are eating there will have some idea of what's behind the kitchen door.

ok, so where's everyone that jumped all over wart for the frat stuff? they should be congratulating him.

way to go wart.

..... working!

Way to go Wart. ;)

eeeuw! I posted this before I read all the way through. Sorry you got fired, but hopefully it's a blessing in disguise. That deep fryer is disgusting. :ermm: wouldn't want to have to clean that more than once!

Last edited:
My thoughts exactly, babe! Do you have a number of similar pics, Wart?

You mean something like the crud dug from the dishwasher

crud.jpg

Or the hole in the ceiling over the ad hoc wearwasher in feed table that is regularly used for food preparation

hole.jpg

Or unshrouded florescent tubes over the main food prep table

lights.jpg

?

Nope, got nothing like that. :rolleyes:

Since they have already fired you, perhaps it's time to consider releasing them to TV news station or the local newspaper.

Or doing a write up on their website.

Well, not their website. I bought the domain name with my own money and pay for the webhost out of my own pocket. I was doing that as a favor too.

Think they would fill their pants if all the work I have done on MY site went away to be replaced with what I have related in these threads?

Like I wrote, once I take a step there is no going back. But how far do I want to go?

Last edited:
OMG, I'm so glad you have all those pics. They really are disgusting and definitely violations of health codes. I applaud you for considering carefully what your next steps should be. I'm not sure I could be as calm and rational in the wake of being fired over trying to make badly needed changes. Since you have already been to the Health Department after discussing the problems with the Frat management, is there any way to see if the Health Inspectors have cited them for violations? I know that here in Texas, restaurant health inspections are public records and violations require a follow-up inspection within a certain amount of time. If they are serious violations and have not been addressed by the second inspection, the Health Department locks the doors until the violations have been corrected. Is that how it is there?

Back
Top Bottom